“Best Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Irvine
“Best Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

What can I say, what a fantastic hotel and unbelievable to experience giraffes coming right up to your bedroom window to be fed.Lovely grounds and the setting is inceredible, on a clear day you can see all the way to Kilamanjaro.The staff are very attentive and we enjoyed hearing all about the history of the manor and especially talking with Cosmo who is the giraffes best pal!
The only blemish I could see is that the rooms might need just a little upgrading( but not much and not enough for me not to revisit).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

An incredible experience. Lynn is the star of the show! But, right behind her are the other characters that make up this magical accommodation. The main house and 2 other houses have unique and select rooms that will be forever in my memory of travel. Just as you might have read Lynn and her friends will pop their heads into your room or join you for breakfast, dinner or lunch. The service is commendable, the dinners elegantly served and delicious. Four of us traveled together and were fortunate to have the rooms in the main manor called Betty and Jock. You might think this stay to be expensive but, we chose to look at our price per night as a donation to care for the almost extinct Rothschild Giraffe. Accommodation of this standard and donation to the cause in my opinion is a reasonable price. Our experience was in low season of safari travel. This travel period will give you the best time to enjoy Lynn and her friends. Take a moment away from everything and enjoy the beauty of the gentle giants. You too will have an unforgettable experience!

Room Tip: Betty and Jock's rooms are the most famous and offer the very best of Lynn and her friends.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

What an amazing experience!!! We arrived early, and we were happily welcomed. Thank you Giles and your wonderful team!

We had booked a room for three people, however upon arrival we were all given our own rooms as they had them free. Each of the rooms were in the new building and they were all just so beautiful!

We were served a beautiful morning tea on the front lawn and it was just so amazing to be sitting there, looking out over the gardens and the giraffes and the warthogs. I really felt so happy to be there!

We were taken to the market that we had wanted to visit. Then in the afternoon we went to the education centre. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT. Really interesting. Loved the walk around the park.

The food was just amazing!!! it was really lovely to sit around the dining table with other guests, such a lovely warm, friendly, homely feeling.

Waking up early was just like a child at Christmas! Looking out of your window and seeing these gracious, magnificent giraffes wandering up to your window. You must experience this!!!

Breakfast was just so amazing, beautiful food too! but to share it with such wonderful company.

It was lovely staying in April, apparently the "off" season, but it wouldn't have mattered at all. Rain, hail or shine, it was wonderful!

I loved every second of my time at Giraffe Manor!!!

It is expensive but really it is worth ever cent!!! Please experience this brilliant place!!!!

Room Tip: no need they are all beautiful!!! We stayed in the new building and all the rooms were just beautif...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I have just come home from a 7 week holiday where we visited many countries in south east Africa. Have to say our 2 nights at Giraffe Manor was the highlight of the whole trip.

How magical it was to be able to interact with the giraffes. It was almost sureal eating breakfast while you had a giraffe peering over your shoulder waiting to be feed. These animals are so special and to be able to feed, kiss and cuddle them is such a wonderful experience

The Manor itself is beautiful. We stayed in Kellys room which is situated in the newer building which is located behind the main lodge. The room was lovely and we were able to feed the giraffes in the morning from our bedroom window.

The staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble and they catered for our every need. The food was great, we particularly enjoyed the candle light dinners which were served in the formal dining room with all guests sitting around the dinner table together.

This place was worth every cent and I would say to anyone travelling to Africa if they have the chance to get to Giraffe Manor just do as you will have an experience you will never forget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

How fun was this! While you can get a touch of visiting these creatures at the sanctuary next door, this gives you a once in a lifetime experience of getting to know the animals better and their different personalities.

The hotel itself was lovely. It was the first hotel I have ever stayed at where no 'key' is given. It is a small, exclusive space, so I can't imagine security being a problem. The hot water bottles in the bed are lovely, and somehow I didn't tire of 'everything giraffe' when it comes to decor.

The service was very attentive. I was amazed at how many photos they took of us with our camera over the 'breakfast'.... I must have had close to 50!

My advice - book in advance - of our whole trip in Kenya / Rwanda this was difficult to book as it is under demand.

Room Tip: Main manor faces the main area of giraffes.... if you want a massage, book in advance.
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Giraffe Manor! I stayed one night in February as a single before meeting up on Safari the next day with family in the Masai Mara. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant or service friendly. This is true customer service!

From the momement I arrived there was a driver waiting at the airport, he was very pleasant and we discussed much about East Africa. When I arrived I was greated with a cool towel which was nice as it was warm that afternoon and a refreshment while they showed me the grounds. The Staff were always asking if there is anything I wanted, if I needed help getting anywhere. They gave me a private guided nature walk in the property across from the Giraffe Sancturay.

Giraffes are my favorite animal and when I knew I was moving to East Africa and heard about this place I knew I had to visit. The other people during my stay were fantastic, they welcomed me into their conversations discussing Africa, their trips, where they are from etc.

The food is amazing! Some of the best meals I have had in my 2 years in East Africa.

The only improvement I could see is the room, Jock, I stayed in had a very springy bed. I slept fine but it was not the most comfortable. However, the room was very beautiful, as was the bathroom. I didn't expect such a large room.

I can't wait to come back in May with my husband for 4 days, 3 nights to share the experience with him!

Room Tip: Jock was a fantastic room, very spacious, two full size beds. There is a fire place in the room as w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We arrived at the house around 10pm, but the staff all greeted us at the door, made us cocktails, and even served us a meal since we'd just finished an 8 hour flight. My brother and I stayed in the Jock room and it was hands down the greatest place I have ever laid my head. I had a wake up call (coffee room service) before sunrise and I went downstairs to wait for the giraffes to come up to the house and to catch sunrise. Eddie (one of the staff, also the name of a younger giraffe) stood outside with me and told me so much about the property and the animals (giraffes, warthogs and Luca the dog). Lynn was the first giraffe to come out of the bush and she went straight to our bedroom window and nudged/licked it until my brother heard and brought food pellets over to feed her. She moved down to Betty's room (our parents stayed there) and as the other giraffes made their way to the house we feed them from the balcony for 40 minutes. The next morning we had an early flight, but before the sun was even up Lynn was at our window to say goodbye (and get a lot of food).
I read so many of these reviews before our trip and somehow Giraffe Manor still managed to exceed my expectations. The house staff were all so much fun to get to know and helped immensely with learning how to interact with the giraffes (though I did still manage to make Kelly upset enough to head butt me and almost knock me over). The human food was VERY good, the giraffe food was pretty dry (I tried one piece).
Even if you just go for the day I think it is a MUST DO in Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!