“Amazing place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
sydney
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I have just come home from a 7 week holiday where we visited many countries in south east Africa. Have to say our 2 nights at Giraffe Manor was the highlight of the whole trip.

How magical it was to be able to interact with the giraffes. It was almost sureal eating breakfast while you had a giraffe peering over your shoulder waiting to be feed. These animals are so special and to be able to feed, kiss and cuddle them is such a wonderful experience

The Manor itself is beautiful. We stayed in Kellys room which is situated in the newer building which is located behind the main lodge. The room was lovely and we were able to feed the giraffes in the morning from our bedroom window.

The staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble and they catered for our every need. The food was great, we particularly enjoyed the candle light dinners which were served in the formal dining room with all guests sitting around the dinner table together.

This place was worth every cent and I would say to anyone travelling to Africa if they have the chance to get to Giraffe Manor just do as you will have an experience you will never forget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

How fun was this! While you can get a touch of visiting these creatures at the sanctuary next door, this gives you a once in a lifetime experience of getting to know the animals better and their different personalities.

The hotel itself was lovely. It was the first hotel I have ever stayed at where no 'key' is given. It is a small, exclusive space, so I can't imagine security being a problem. The hot water bottles in the bed are lovely, and somehow I didn't tire of 'everything giraffe' when it comes to decor.

The service was very attentive. I was amazed at how many photos they took of us with our camera over the 'breakfast'.... I must have had close to 50!

My advice - book in advance - of our whole trip in Kenya / Rwanda this was difficult to book as it is under demand.

Room Tip: Main manor faces the main area of giraffes.... if you want a massage, book in advance.
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Giraffe Manor! I stayed one night in February as a single before meeting up on Safari the next day with family in the Masai Mara. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant or service friendly. This is true customer service!

From the momement I arrived there was a driver waiting at the airport, he was very pleasant and we discussed much about East Africa. When I arrived I was greated with a cool towel which was nice as it was warm that afternoon and a refreshment while they showed me the grounds. The Staff were always asking if there is anything I wanted, if I needed help getting anywhere. They gave me a private guided nature walk in the property across from the Giraffe Sancturay.

Giraffes are my favorite animal and when I knew I was moving to East Africa and heard about this place I knew I had to visit. The other people during my stay were fantastic, they welcomed me into their conversations discussing Africa, their trips, where they are from etc.

The food is amazing! Some of the best meals I have had in my 2 years in East Africa.

The only improvement I could see is the room, Jock, I stayed in had a very springy bed. I slept fine but it was not the most comfortable. However, the room was very beautiful, as was the bathroom. I didn't expect such a large room.

I can't wait to come back in May with my husband for 4 days, 3 nights to share the experience with him!

Room Tip: Jock was a fantastic room, very spacious, two full size beds. There is a fire place in the room as w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We arrived at the house around 10pm, but the staff all greeted us at the door, made us cocktails, and even served us a meal since we'd just finished an 8 hour flight. My brother and I stayed in the Jock room and it was hands down the greatest place I have ever laid my head. I had a wake up call (coffee room service) before sunrise and I went downstairs to wait for the giraffes to come up to the house and to catch sunrise. Eddie (one of the staff, also the name of a younger giraffe) stood outside with me and told me so much about the property and the animals (giraffes, warthogs and Luca the dog). Lynn was the first giraffe to come out of the bush and she went straight to our bedroom window and nudged/licked it until my brother heard and brought food pellets over to feed her. She moved down to Betty's room (our parents stayed there) and as the other giraffes made their way to the house we feed them from the balcony for 40 minutes. The next morning we had an early flight, but before the sun was even up Lynn was at our window to say goodbye (and get a lot of food).
I read so many of these reviews before our trip and somehow Giraffe Manor still managed to exceed my expectations. The house staff were all so much fun to get to know and helped immensely with learning how to interact with the giraffes (though I did still manage to make Kelly upset enough to head butt me and almost knock me over). The human food was VERY good, the giraffe food was pretty dry (I tried one piece).
Even if you just go for the day I think it is a MUST DO in Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I came here for lunch - once in a blue moon they allow non-guests to come for lunch or dinner. We have been trying to squirrel a table here since before we moved to Nairobi late last year. It finally came through - hurray! and was such an amazing experience.

The house is simply stunning. It's an old manor house from the colonial era that is covered with ivy and just gorgeously appointed and incredibly well tended to. Our lunch was simply divine, the food was excellent and service wonderful. What made it so spectacular however, was the lovely staff and the very friendly giraffes. One of the giraffes came up to us after lunch to say hi. I never thought in my life I would be so close to one of these majestic creatures. What a magical, divine place! Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the manor for 2 nights in Feb 2013. This was the second time (2010 first trip) and we wanted to return with friends before safari. You want to have at least a full day there just to soak up the charm and elegance of the manor. Staff and management are fully engaged.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed for 1 night in January 2013. Unfortunately I didn't even manage 24 hrs here. I arrived on a late afternoon flight and after traffic didn't arrive until dusk. But they were kind enough to let me put in a quick little load of (complimentary) washing to be ready for my checkout before 10am the next morning. I had a candle lit dinner on the patio with delicious 3 courses. I had Daisy's room in the old manor, and was delighted to see the glass of pellets ready for the morning. Wfi in my room, gorgeous 4 poster bed. Short steps up to the balcony to feed the giraffes in the morning. Wakeup call at my choosing with a hot cup of tea. Down to an early breakfast. I had the breakfast room to myself. Oh - I had to share it with Daisy 2 :) Giraffe kisses are a must (if you are lucky enough to be visited by a giraffe that can, and doesn't head butt!) I fed her buckets of pellets, from a plate, the bucket. And the staff are So lovely. He took heaps of photos for me. Breakfast itself was delicious again. Hooked on the passion(fruit) juice, and eggs to order. And as I was leaving, a lady raced out to give me the powerboard I had left in my room. the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Sadly there is no longer a half board option so it was an expensive half day, but still I think the giraffe experience was worth every cent (priceless, really). TIP: don't sleep in - have an early breakfast so you get more time with the giraffe(s) :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairobi
House of Waine
Fairmont The Norfolk
Fairmont The Norfolk
#13 of 129 in Nairobi
4.0 of 5 stars 600 reviews

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!