“lunch only but wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Nairobi, Kenya
“lunch only but wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I came here for lunch - once in a blue moon they allow non-guests to come for lunch or dinner. We have been trying to squirrel a table here since before we moved to Nairobi late last year. It finally came through - hurray! and was such an amazing experience.

The house is simply stunning. It's an old manor house from the colonial era that is covered with ivy and just gorgeously appointed and incredibly well tended to. Our lunch was simply divine, the food was excellent and service wonderful. What made it so spectacular however, was the lovely staff and the very friendly giraffes. One of the giraffes came up to us after lunch to say hi. I never thought in my life I would be so close to one of these majestic creatures. What a magical, divine place! Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the manor for 2 nights in Feb 2013. This was the second time (2010 first trip) and we wanted to return with friends before safari. You want to have at least a full day there just to soak up the charm and elegance of the manor. Staff and management are fully engaged.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed for 1 night in January 2013. Unfortunately I didn't even manage 24 hrs here. I arrived on a late afternoon flight and after traffic didn't arrive until dusk. But they were kind enough to let me put in a quick little load of (complimentary) washing to be ready for my checkout before 10am the next morning. I had a candle lit dinner on the patio with delicious 3 courses. I had Daisy's room in the old manor, and was delighted to see the glass of pellets ready for the morning. Wfi in my room, gorgeous 4 poster bed. Short steps up to the balcony to feed the giraffes in the morning. Wakeup call at my choosing with a hot cup of tea. Down to an early breakfast. I had the breakfast room to myself. Oh - I had to share it with Daisy 2 :) Giraffe kisses are a must (if you are lucky enough to be visited by a giraffe that can, and doesn't head butt!) I fed her buckets of pellets, from a plate, the bucket. And the staff are So lovely. He took heaps of photos for me. Breakfast itself was delicious again. Hooked on the passion(fruit) juice, and eggs to order. And as I was leaving, a lady raced out to give me the powerboard I had left in my room. the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Sadly there is no longer a half board option so it was an expensive half day, but still I think the giraffe experience was worth every cent (priceless, really). TIP: don't sleep in - have an early breakfast so you get more time with the giraffe(s) :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I remember seeing Giraffe Manor featured in a travel magazine some 6 years go. The moment I read the article on it and saw the pictures, I knew I had to get there some day. In October 2011, my husband and I travelled trough Kenya and this was one of the places we stayed. We got picked up at Nairobi airport and I was exhausted from the long flight from Australia. It was an hour and a bit drive out to Giraffe Manor through dusty busy roads.

After an hour of so of driving, we pulled up at these massive gates with the words Giraffe Manor. We drove to the front manor and that moment when I stepped out it was magical. The gardens were so green and lush- there were baby warthogs barely 10 days old playing and in a distance I could see a glimpse of Betty, the resident giraffe. It was just like the article...no different ...I was really here.

The hospitality was so warm and they had prepared us a late lunch which was beautiful. Our room was lovely. It was in the original manor and had a old country home feel to it. The food served the whole time was gourmet and superbe . The best was- it was all inclusive with wine and spirits.

At breakfast, the giraffes poke their long head into the dining room and you feed them. So much fun... and if you wake up early enough and are lucky enough to stay in one of the front rooms , Betty leads all her friends over and you get to feed them.

I have been and stayed at a lot of amazing resorts, but this was a one of a kind experienceand unforgettable.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the old manor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband booked us here for my birthday when we first moved to Kenya in the summer of 2011 (the scroll down travel dates will not let me go back to 2011). We were not greeted properly on arrival and because they said they were not expecting us and did not know who we were. We had to wait awhile in the lobby while they sorted this out. For the high price one pays for this hotel, this is was unacceptable. I also did not like that we had to pay a considerable amount extra to arrive for lunchtime. We were placed in the older Karen Blixen room which was large and opened up to a patio. This was nice enough, but I preferred the newer rooms in the new building. The food was fine but my husband got sick to his stomach the afternoon that we left, probably due to the salmon in his omelet, which was the one thing that he ate that I didn't.

Despite the negatives, I am giving this review 4 stars because it was a once in a lifetime experience. I wonder, however, if all the giraffes are just there for them to make money off them though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Such a special place that words con not describe. If you are thinking about going... Go!!! Worth every cent.
Friendly staff, beautiful food, luxurious accommodation and of course the only place in the world that you can dine with the Giraffes.

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place is like a dream, from our airport pick-up at 4am our driver was very friendly and reliable. Make sure you arrive early to have a full day doing the nature walk and having breakfast with the giraffes, it will blow your mind like nothing you have seen before. We stayed in the Helen room in the new section which they have built so similar to the original you would not tell. the room was beautiful from the amazing princess bed and the best bathroom with such a great feel. The washing service was great as we had just spent two weeks travelling in Egypt. WOW the staff i could go on all day, they are great photographers and will take great photos if you are a couple family etc. Everyone is most welcoming and the general manager Giles nothing is a problem he will arrange anything you want to do.

The food at breakfast lunch and dinner was first class, they also catered for my gluten free option which i really appreciated. I would recomend this place to everyone and will definalty be back one day soon :-) x0

Room Tip: The Helen room was great, and also has the best wi-fi connection.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!