“Something out of a story book” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
melbourne
“Something out of a story book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I remember seeing Giraffe Manor featured in a travel magazine some 6 years go. The moment I read the article on it and saw the pictures, I knew I had to get there some day. In October 2011, my husband and I travelled trough Kenya and this was one of the places we stayed. We got picked up at Nairobi airport and I was exhausted from the long flight from Australia. It was an hour and a bit drive out to Giraffe Manor through dusty busy roads.

After an hour of so of driving, we pulled up at these massive gates with the words Giraffe Manor. We drove to the front manor and that moment when I stepped out it was magical. The gardens were so green and lush- there were baby warthogs barely 10 days old playing and in a distance I could see a glimpse of Betty, the resident giraffe. It was just like the article...no different ...I was really here.

The hospitality was so warm and they had prepared us a late lunch which was beautiful. Our room was lovely. It was in the original manor and had a old country home feel to it. The food served the whole time was gourmet and superbe . The best was- it was all inclusive with wine and spirits.

At breakfast, the giraffes poke their long head into the dining room and you feed them. So much fun... and if you wake up early enough and are lucky enough to stay in one of the front rooms , Betty leads all her friends over and you get to feed them.

I have been and stayed at a lot of amazing resorts, but this was a one of a kind experienceand unforgettable.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the old manor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband booked us here for my birthday when we first moved to Kenya in the summer of 2011 (the scroll down travel dates will not let me go back to 2011). We were not greeted properly on arrival and because they said they were not expecting us and did not know who we were. We had to wait awhile in the lobby while they sorted this out. For the high price one pays for this hotel, this is was unacceptable. I also did not like that we had to pay a considerable amount extra to arrive for lunchtime. We were placed in the older Karen Blixen room which was large and opened up to a patio. This was nice enough, but I preferred the newer rooms in the new building. The food was fine but my husband got sick to his stomach the afternoon that we left, probably due to the salmon in his omelet, which was the one thing that he ate that I didn't.

Despite the negatives, I am giving this review 4 stars because it was a once in a lifetime experience. I wonder, however, if all the giraffes are just there for them to make money off them though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Such a special place that words con not describe. If you are thinking about going... Go!!! Worth every cent.
Friendly staff, beautiful food, luxurious accommodation and of course the only place in the world that you can dine with the Giraffes.

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place is like a dream, from our airport pick-up at 4am our driver was very friendly and reliable. Make sure you arrive early to have a full day doing the nature walk and having breakfast with the giraffes, it will blow your mind like nothing you have seen before. We stayed in the Helen room in the new section which they have built so similar to the original you would not tell. the room was beautiful from the amazing princess bed and the best bathroom with such a great feel. The washing service was great as we had just spent two weeks travelling in Egypt. WOW the staff i could go on all day, they are great photographers and will take great photos if you are a couple family etc. Everyone is most welcoming and the general manager Giles nothing is a problem he will arrange anything you want to do.

The food at breakfast lunch and dinner was first class, they also catered for my gluten free option which i really appreciated. I would recomend this place to everyone and will definalty be back one day soon :-) x0

Room Tip: The Helen room was great, and also has the best wi-fi connection.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our first hotel after the long grueling (well, not so grueling in business class) flight from SF and what an experience. An English style stone manor house with giraffes everywhere! To see them from our bedroom window and dine with them in the dining room was a great experience. My photos home showing Tom and me eating with giraffes craning their heads over our shoulders elicited many reactions! The rooms are very comfortable, the food is great. I really appreciated the availability of a car and driver provided free of charge to take you places. We used the car service to buy a SIM card and extra duffel bag, see the Karen Blixen house and the elephant sanctuary, and go into central Nairobi to the cultural museum. You can be escorted to nearby giraffe sanctuary and learn more about the endangered Rothschild giraffes. I liked the gamboling wart hog piglets that would join their family eating the food pellets that had been scattered on the ground outside the dining room for the wildlife. This is a charming introduction to Africa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
El Fondo de les Neus, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

After 40 years of Hotel Management and staying in some of the best Hotels it is not easy for us to be awed -- Giraffe Manor was awesome ! From the genuine warmth of the welcome to the question " where do you want to eat ? " we were blown away . Most reviews do not really convey the other worldly aspects of this outstanding House ( Hotel is not the word ) I think that this is because it all seems so easily and simply done .After so long in the business I know how hard it is and that is what grabbed me from the start. Don't waste a trip to Kenya without at least one night here , in fact do it now !!

Room Tip: Just get the best you can !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at Giraffe Manor with family for one night (nearly 2 days) with older parents.
My parents had a room in the original house while my partner and I stayed at the new wing.
The original house rooms are very bright and roomy with many original features. My parents enjoyed the bonus of feeding the Giraffes from their bedroom window - what a way to wake up!
The new wing room that we stayed in was slightly smaller (possibly more cosy). They have been sympathetically appointed to be in keeping with the rest of the manor. All the communal lounges are very well laid out to make you feel at home - indeed the ambience we experienced was the illusion that one is staying at a friends house.
The food and wine is excellent. We ate lunch on the patio area and supper in the dining room. Breakfast is also taken in this room with the added bonus of very tall visitors putting their heads through the open windows! Luckily the management thoughtfully provide food for it guests to hand feed these wonderful gatecrashers!
The staff were always extremely friendly, eager to help and very professional - thank you to all!
We stayed here following a two week safari. It was a perfect way to relax and while away the day before our flight home.
I definitely recommend Giraffe Manor

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!