“Yep, they weren't kidding - giraffes!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
Save Saved
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
San Francisco, CA
“Yep, they weren't kidding - giraffes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our first hotel after the long grueling (well, not so grueling in business class) flight from SF and what an experience. An English style stone manor house with giraffes everywhere! To see them from our bedroom window and dine with them in the dining room was a great experience. My photos home showing Tom and me eating with giraffes craning their heads over our shoulders elicited many reactions! The rooms are very comfortable, the food is great. I really appreciated the availability of a car and driver provided free of charge to take you places. We used the car service to buy a SIM card and extra duffel bag, see the Karen Blixen house and the elephant sanctuary, and go into central Nairobi to the cultural museum. You can be escorted to nearby giraffe sanctuary and learn more about the endangered Rothschild giraffes. I liked the gamboling wart hog piglets that would join their family eating the food pellets that had been scattered on the ground outside the dining room for the wildlife. This is a charming introduction to Africa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
El Fondo de les Neus, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

After 40 years of Hotel Management and staying in some of the best Hotels it is not easy for us to be awed -- Giraffe Manor was awesome ! From the genuine warmth of the welcome to the question " where do you want to eat ? " we were blown away . Most reviews do not really convey the other worldly aspects of this outstanding House ( Hotel is not the word ) I think that this is because it all seems so easily and simply done .After so long in the business I know how hard it is and that is what grabbed me from the start. Don't waste a trip to Kenya without at least one night here , in fact do it now !!

Room Tip: Just get the best you can !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed at Giraffe Manor with family for one night (nearly 2 days) with older parents.
My parents had a room in the original house while my partner and I stayed at the new wing.
The original house rooms are very bright and roomy with many original features. My parents enjoyed the bonus of feeding the Giraffes from their bedroom window - what a way to wake up!
The new wing room that we stayed in was slightly smaller (possibly more cosy). They have been sympathetically appointed to be in keeping with the rest of the manor. All the communal lounges are very well laid out to make you feel at home - indeed the ambience we experienced was the illusion that one is staying at a friends house.
The food and wine is excellent. We ate lunch on the patio area and supper in the dining room. Breakfast is also taken in this room with the added bonus of very tall visitors putting their heads through the open windows! Luckily the management thoughtfully provide food for it guests to hand feed these wonderful gatecrashers!
The staff were always extremely friendly, eager to help and very professional - thank you to all!
We stayed here following a two week safari. It was a perfect way to relax and while away the day before our flight home.
I definitely recommend Giraffe Manor

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Newnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

After delays at Heathrow because of snow we arrived at Giraffe Manor at 2am to be greeted by smiles and a huge pot of tea! What more could anyone want! After some much needed sleep we were up and out on our balcony for the arrival of the giraffe at 6.30am. What a stunning morning! it was my mother's first time in Africa and it couldn't have been more magical. Our incredible breakfast with the giraffe was followed by a walk to the breeding centre for the Rothchild's Giraffe. After a superb lunch on the patio we managed a snooze before we were taken to the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphange where we foster 3 babies between us. What an uplifting but heartbreaking experience it was. To see so many orphans was shocking but to see the wonderful care and attention they get from their lovely keepers was truly amazing. That evening we enjoyed a beautiful meal in the wood-panelled dining room with the other guests before a relaxing night's sleep and our journey on to Lake Naivasha after another scrumptious breakfast with the giraffe and warthogs! The Manor was a wonderful way to start our trip to Kenya. The staff were all wonderful-very helpful and friendly. The room was clean, comfortable and had a superb view from the balcony. Thank you to everyone there for looking after us so well.See also review for Loldia House our next stop!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

In 2011 my (now) wife and I decided to give up our jobs and travel the world for 9 months. Top of our list was Africa, where we spent 2 months - 45 days of which was camping and overlanding in a truck with 20 other like-minded people.

As much as we loved that experience, we were in need of a proper bed and a bit of pampering, so we arranged for a 1 night stay in this stunning place. And we weren't disappointed. We arrived and were presented with some complimentary Gin and Tonics, then went for a wander around the grounds and met and fed some of the Giraffes and Warthogs around the place.

I had already thought this would be a great place to propose, but once we got there and saw the grounds & room, and met the staff it was more a choice of when and where to propose rather than if.

My wife decided that a bath would be just what she needed after camping for so many days, so while she had that I popped downstairs and asked some of the staff to help me arrange the proposal.

They were brilliant. They arranged for us to have a private dinner where we could watch the Giraffes and Warthogs and listen to the wildlife around us. They then put a bottle of prosecco in the room and lay rose petals from the door to the bed for when we went back up - and I could propose in private, rather than having an audience (both people and wildlife).

She said yes and the next morning when we went for breakfast the manager came out to congratulate us and told us we were the first couple to get engaged there. He then proceeded to give us another complimentary bottle of prosecco for with breakfast.

We then fed the giraffes out of the breakfast windows, and went for a wander around the sanctuary where we were introduced to yet more of the Giraffes, including the young Bull who's name escapes me.

Our room was Arlene and she was our favourite of the giraffes, who also just happened to be pregnant while we were there. The room was stunning, bed comfortable, and my wife loved being able to relax in the bath.

I would recommend this place to anyone who's visiting Kenya and fancies a spot of luxury. The staff are brilliant, but the real star is the property itself and it's setting. It's not every day you can feed giraffes from the comfort of your bedroom window.

Room Tip: I'd imagine they're all stunning, but we stayed in Arlene and it was perfect.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I doubt if you can share your breakfast with a giraffe anywhere else and this is really worth doing, at least once. The old house oozes character and the staff are friendly and courteous. There is a large garden that is great for chilling. If you are travelling into Nairobi town centre allow plenty of time because of the horrendous traffic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brewer, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is an amazing once in a lifetime experience that made memories for us that will last forever. We were picked up at the airport on schedule and arrangements were quickly made to get us to the elephant orphanage for the late morning feeding. We returned to a wonderful lunch on the patio with giraffes and warthogs nearby for our enjoyment. Dinner was very good and the time by the fire with cocktails and snacks also was great. Our room was huge and we had many a giraffe visit us for "kibble" at night and in the morning. How can you neat a giraffe poking its head into the breakfast room taking a look around? If I was made of money, I would love to stay again for a week!

I did not rate it as excellent for a few reasons. At US$1,000 a day, I have very high expectations. The booking process was a challenge. Wiring the funds to prepay for the experience was a challenge. In my email communications, the Manor kept up the pressure that if I didn't get the funds to them ASAP, they would be forced to release my room and I may miss out on the opportunity. As this was a special surprise for my partner, I didn't want that to happen. What we found when we got there was that of the entire property, only 3 rooms were rented--there was PLENTY of space, so the high pressure and fear creation was all hype. Also, our flight left late the next day. I had hoped for a "day rate" so we could just sit on the patio and read and relax. That was not an option. We were offered a car and a driver for US$500 for the day, which seemed quite steep to me. My other disappointment was in service. I found my way to the kitchen twice during our day there to find someone to get a soda. We have stayed at safari camps where there was always someone around so if I got up they checked to see if I needed something. That level of attention was missing during our stay.

Would these negatives deter me from staying again? Of course not--the experience is truly stupendous being so near the animals and the setting is lovely. But, the upfront pressure, the lack of exceptional service, and the challenge with our late flight were disappointing.

If you need to fill some time, there are a number of tour operators that will pick you up at the manor. Nairobi Excursions will give you a car and driver for US$100 a day. What we ended up doing through Nairobi Excursions was the Kiambethu Tea Farm tour and spent the day there, then we were brought back to town for shopping at the market, then out to dinner and then to the airport--all of that for about 40% of the price of a Giraffe Manor car and driver for the day. There are wonderful options!

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the Giraffe Manor!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!