“Not the most amazing accommodation, but the only one with giraffes for breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
You added Giraffe Manor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Langata Rd, Langata, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you took the giraffes away from this place, you really wouldn't be left with much. The accommodation is fine, nothing wrong with it at all, but hardly noteworthy. The food is stodgy English fare that countries with a colonial background would be well served to move on from.

But it's all about the giraffes, and let's face it - that's why you're thinking of coming here. And they deliver in spades. You'll pat their noses. You'll feed them. You'll share your breakfast with them. You'll kiss them, and you'll even get tongue if you want it. It's giraffes aplenty, and you can't get that just anywhere. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Luanda, Angola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Shocking service with trying to book a room via Africa Point. (one of the vendors on the Giraffe Manor’s website as booking agents.) I got a very quick response to book a room but when I then asked at what time breakfast with the giraffes was and how long it would take to get from the Giraffe Manor to the airport to catch a flight, I was ignored and despite numerous e-mails never received the courtesy of a response. When you pay more than $600 a night this shouldn’t happen.

I then tried the Safari Collection whose service was excellent. It was worth persevering as the experience is not to be missed. It’s 45 minutes from the airport to the Giraffe Manor. The rate includes airport transfers plus a full day of local tours, three meals plus wines.

To get the most of your stay I advise arriving at the Giraffe Manor between 10 AM (when check-in starts) and 10:30 AM. At 10:30 AM head to the Sheldrick Orphaned Elephant Centre for the show that begins at 11:00. It lasts an hour and if you’ve been up close to elephants on safari you may be a bit disappointed because it is a bit commercial with tourists lined up to view the baby elephants being given milk the smallest ones with blankets to keep them warm. You will get some good shots but many will be with other people in them. They do a good job of explaining each elephants history and how they care for them. (If you miss the 11:00 viewing, you’ll need to pay $50 to adopt an elephant (for two people) and can visit at 4 PM to see the elephants being put to bed for the night. But you’ll then miss the action back at the Giraffe Manor—see below.)

Head back to the Giraffe Manor for a delicious lunch of organic food on the terrace—vegetarians are well catered for. Then head over to the Karen Blixen Museum and upon returning to the Giraffe Manor make your way across to the Giraffe Center. Staying at the Giraffe Center gets you free entry—though you need to tip the guide who shows you around. Skip the nature walk as it’s pretty boring. You’ll get plenty of giraffe action at the Giraffe Manor so the main interest in the center is to understand the different types of giraffe. They had told me that the giraffes usually make their way over to the manor once the center closes at 5 PM. But the day I was there they went from the manor to the center. All the other guests were out at the Sheldrick Elephant Center so between 4-5 PM I had the house to myself with giraffes poking their head in the entrance to be fed treats (pellets of minerals and grass). The caretakers take great pictures of you and will teach you how to be kissed by a wild giraffe! (Only some giraffes tolerate this.) Eddy in particular is to be commended in this regard.

Drinks are served next to a fireplace from 7 PM and dinner served at 7:45 PM in a traditional dining room. After dinner drinks or tea and coffee are served around the fireplace or outside.

The highlight of the stay is undoubtedly breakfast. It’s served from 7 AM, but be ready by 6:30 AM to ensure you get the best seats next to the window for viewing the giraffes and first dibs on photo opportunities. Don’t worry if you oversleep though as the staff will ensure everyone gets to interact with the giraffes and gets good photos. By 8:30 AM the giraffes will have wandered over to the Giraffe Center. You get another hour and a half to take in the lovely garden and serene atmosphere of this place and savour your experience.

I was upgraded from a standard room to Bette’s suite and it is worth getting that room as it is much more luxurious and boasts its own terrace from which you can feed the taller giraffes as well as an art deco bathroom and a fireplace. There is one other suite and family rooms but the other rooms are much smaller. They have WIFI but the signal was weak and kept cutting in and out. They offer spa treatments. There is also gift shop selling postcards of the manor and more high end souvenirs compared to the Giraffe Center gift shop which has more choice but sells cheaper merchandise.

Truly a magical place with exceptional staff. I plan to be back every once in a while to recharge my batteries.

Room Tip: Spring for Bette
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This experience is one I will never forget! It is almost surreal to have a giraffe pop it's head through the window and eat from your hand. To have a giraffe "kiss" in the morning it something I will never forget. The Manor itself is just fantastic, the staff are friendly, helpful and polite and the setting is magical. The only negative was the bed and the pillows! Flat, hard and lumpy unfortunately! But would I go back? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has windows that the giraffes can reach so you can feed them from your room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our layover in Nairobi at Giraffe Manor. While we only spent one very jet-lagged evening and night there, we loved every minute. We sat outside in the early evening watching and feeding the giraffes, and had a lovely dinner afterwards. Our room on the first floor was very spacious and comfortable and we had a great night's sleep there. A lovely breakfast in the morning and then we were gone. We spoke with other guests who were staying longer and it sounded like there were some excellent local activities, but a change in our flight limited us to just one night. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to go to this hotel. I booked for one night in October and was a bit afraid to look forward too much in case I was disapointed. I have walking difficulties and was afraid that it might take the edge of the trip. The stairs were a problem but they are anywhere so nothing new .I was not.. it was everything I had dreamt of... and then some. My daughter and I were like kids at Christmas and the staff indulged us as if they had never heard all our questions before.We stayed in Bettys room which was clean and comfortable with a fab 30's bathroom and Lynn the giraffe came up to the window in the morning for munchies..just as I wanted. The staff catered to our every need and we felt throughly spoilt during our time there.
The food was gorgeous and drinks plentiful !!The house itself was like something out of an Agatha Christie novel and the grounds were beautiful.Just like being in a movie.
And last but not least the giraffes !! The icing on the cake. How can you better that ... a truly once in a lifetime experience..in fact a dream come true.

Room Tip: Lynn the giraffe comes up to Bettys room in the morning for pellets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

OK. i know, you probably think ive never been anywhere; right? you probably think im exagerating. NO I'M NOT! this place is PURE MAGIC, from the time you walk through the gates, to the grounds, to the manor, to the meals, to the staff, to the roses, to the cookies, to the cakes, to the ROOMS, to the...oh yah, the GIRAFFE!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY, a place that lives up to its reputation and reviews. out of a four-country, six-week tour of africa, i have to embarassingly say that THIS was my FAVORITE! too shallow? too bad. this place hits its mark.

oh, did i mention hand-feeding the WART HOGS and kissing the giraffe? just show up here and SIT in the front yard and you will have the time of your life! THANK YOU GIRAFFE MANOR! truly an honor to have gotten to stay at your place. i will never forget you!

Room Tip: Jock's room is right in front w a fireplace AND in front and the giraffe will walk up to your ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JAS0126
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at Giraffe Manor for two nights in October 2012. The things that I loved were the great staff, great food and of course the giraffes and warthogs. And lunch outside in the beautiful gardens. However, our very small room was directly over the kitchen and so was quite loud (although it smelled good!). The original house has been joined by a new building in the back. For $1,000 a night I felt that we should be able to have breakfast with the giraffes in the main house (where our room was). Unfortunately we were shunted off to the new addition. Us and the warthogs.... I guess the trick is to show up early for breakfast to make sure you are seated in the right place. Don't think I'll be going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Giraffe Manor? Share your experiences!