“Great Hotel from which to begin your Safari and local Sightseeing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairview Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fairview Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Fairview Hotel
Bishops Road | P.O Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel from which to begin your Safari and local Sightseeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

The Fairview hotel was great as it was in a very nice and quiet location, outside of downtown Nairobi and close to Wilson airport and to Karen where I did the majority of my sightseeing. I had booked a First Class room and was assigned one of their new rooms. It was nice with a flat screen television and comfortable bed, although I did find the bathroom amenities lacking as there was only one pump container of combination shampoo/soap, but that was okay as I'd brought my own. The hotel landscaping and grounds were beautiful, the restaurants and first class lounge (good high speed internet) were wonderful and the service was exemplary.

Susan the server in the breakfast restaurant went above and beyond as when I had challenges using my cell phone and the front desk was busy with guest checking out, she made a call for me and when she wasn’t getting good cell reception, she even handed me her phone and told me to take it outside so that I could make a local Nairobi phone call with better cell reception. The restaurant was also very good and I enjoyed all of the items I selected.

Also, if you need a local guide you should contact Kennedy the owner of Waymark Safaris, I was fortunate he was available for my one full day in Nairobi and he is very friendly, knowledgeable and great company while visiting KWS, Sheldricks, Karen Blixen’s House and various other locations.

I’d highly recommend this hotel as it is a perfect way to start your Safari as it away from the craziness of downtown Nairobi and the ambiance is wonderful

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Banff, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We have just arrived from Arusha, Tanzania and needed a place to stay for 1 night. Found so many positive reviews for this hotel that we decided to stay.We came in a private car and had a real hard time trying to find; our driver was from Arusha so he was not familiar with the area; nobody seemed to know where the hotel was even though we stopped many times to get directions.
I would recommend that they improve their map and insttructions on their website and if you are arriving from the airport probably have the hotel pick you up with a taxi driver who is familiar with this location.
The room is OK, nothing spectacular, the images on their website shows a bigger room for the First class room which we had.
The restaurant was nice, they had a great pasta menu which I recommend.
Overall I would recommend this place, nothing extraordinary like most reviews were but overall a positive experience

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2010
Thank you very much for you feedback.

We have since improved the map instructions on our website. We do provide an option during the reservation process to have a hotel based taxi driver pick our guests upon arrival at the airport. This information is also captured below the map on our website.

Daniel
director@fairviewkenya.com
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

The Fairview was a lovely overnight stay on our way from South Africa to Tanzania. The grounds of the hotel give it a wonderful relaxed feel and the staff are fantastic. Our room was really nice, big, clean and comfortable. I think the best part about this hotel is the lovely restaurants and grounds - making it a perfect place to relax. We actually spent an afternoon at the hotel on our way back from Tanzania while we were waiting for a connecting flight, the staff treated us so well and we had a chance to check our emails, grab a snack and relax by the pool.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

A fabulous place - a genuine retreat from the dust and bustle of Nairobi. An unself-concious old style hotel with all the city hotel luxuries you would expect.

We were put in the brand new First Class apartments beside the pool, which felt and smelt very new. The plants have just taken root and the polished floors still smell of fresh polish. The bed was vast and extremely comfortable. The bathroom, had both bath and invigorating shower. My only issue was with the bath, which took an absolute age to run and fluctuated wildly between being boling hot and freezing cold with no connection to the tap that has been turned.

The breakfast was outstanding and delicious.
The food generally was great, tasty and served with pride.

All in all, a great place to stay and highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Montgomery, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I'd been to business meetings and eaten at the Fairview previously, but had never stayed there until a recent leisure trip. From now on it will be my one of my first choices for accommodation in this range in Nairobi.

The location is perfect -- just outside the city centre in a leafy green neighbourhood just south of Uhuru park. Because of the location among embassies and government buildings, there is extensive street security in the area -- this is either reassuring or disconcerting, depending on your world view.

The old buildings are charming but have been completely updated and modernised internally. The grounds are lovely with nice landscaping and facilities, and there is a sense of being in a peaceful country setting while being in the city.

The rooms were comfortable and well-equipped (there are different price levels and slightly different room amenities in different wings - but the differences are not dramatic based on what we saw in our two rooms in different price-level wings). Good baths, comfy beds, WiFi in rooms, cable TV, ample closets, etc.

The common areas are nice, with a choice of restaurants. The breakfast buffet is one of the nicest I've encountered in Kenya - in terms of both quantity and quality (first time I've ever seen sushi rolls on a Kenyan breakfast bar, and they were good). Good food at the more casual and affordable atrium restaurant and the coffee bar -- we didn't try the more expensive Pongo brasserie, but the menu looked fantastic. One down side, the short wine list we were presented was much pricier than others at similar quality in Kenya, with the cheapest white wine starting at over $30 USD.... a pity given the nice affordable South AFrican and Chilean wines we were able to order at other similar restaurants and hotels.

A more affordable but comparable choice than other options (like the Serena, Intercontinental, etc ) -- I'd stay here again with enthusiasm.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed at the Fairview hotel for three nights at the end of July.
It was overall relatively pleasant. The common areas were very pleasant with a wonderful with a real colonial personality. The garden was particularly amazing and felt like a real breath of fresh air in Nairobi, including a cascade and a big swimming pool. The restaurant includes a buffet with a large choice for breakfast (even sushi). The staff was friendly and security is particularly high around the hotel with a 24h guard and military checkpoints at the entrance of the road - the hotel is located closed to embassies.

The only let down was the room, which appeared a bit dated, and with an odd mix of furniture. Having for only view the rooftop of the breakfast restaurant did not help either.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback and compliments.

We do have various room categories which you may have seen on our website and they differ on layout as well as year of remodeling. Room renovation and upgrading is a continuous process and the room you occupied is slated for renovation this October.

Daniel
director@fairviewkenya.com
Ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

The Fairview service was excellent, with friendly staff. A lovely building with lots of green spaces.
The room was perfectly adequate if a little sparse - but then when I'm only sleeping and getting ready in a room I don't require additional luxuries. The bed were very comfortable but the walls were a little thin as you could hear people moving around and leaving for the airport in the early hours...
The amenities were good, but an iron in the room would have been a handy feature.
I loved the calm atmosphere of the hotel in a hectic place and the giant chocolate chip cookie served in the snack restaurant should not be missed.
The pool bar and Orangery served a really good selection of well prepared and presented food. The breakfasts offered a varied choice, but go early as although they say breakfast is served until 11am, they rush you to finish if you are the only ones left so that they can prepare for lunch.
Overall, I had a pleasant stay in a lovely, comfortable, easy hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback and compliments.

For us, room renovation and upgrading is a continuous process. An iron an board is available in most of our rooms and this project is still in progress for the few remaining rooms.

Just to clarify on breakfast times: Our breakfast is served from 6 am-10 am.

Mark
director@fairviewkenya.com.

Been to Fairview Hotel? Share your experiences!