“Excellentview” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 128 Hotels in Nairobi
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellentview”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Well if i could i wud have changed the name of the hotel from fairview to excellent view.
The staff are soo freindly and and helpful. As i m wrting this while i m in the hotel itself
and after getting to this hotel u wont feel to go out, and i had given a room earlier and near by that room sum renovation was going on, so i requested at the reception and within 30 min ( as they promiced me ) they changed my room to there usaly quite and nice and clean place.
It was my first time to stay here after reading the reviews and its like a heaven on earth

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

I have stayed at most of the "Chain Hotels" in Nairobi which were fine but expensive and then someone mentioned the Fairview. Their slogan of a "country hotel in the city" is so apt as the gardens and surrounding landscape gives you that feel. However, besides the security (It is opposite the Israeli Embassy so enough said!!) everything about the Fairview is great from the choice of rooms, great dining options and of course the first class service. From the moment I was collected from the airport to the check out the whole saty was enjoyable and I will certainly return on my future visits. If you have a chance you have to have a meal in Pango..it is great. Thanks to all and see you in November.

Brisbane, Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We stayed here a couple of times on a trip to Nairobi (2 x twin rooms). The Fairview Hotel has been owned and managed by the same family since 1946, so you immediately appreciate that this is not a new, modern hotel. But sometimes that’s good.

Our rooms were a little tried, but clean and comfortable. The rooms were large, and equipped with desk and chair, coffee/tea facilities, 2 king-sized twin beds, wardrobe, modern safe, wall-mounted TV, lounge chair, bed-side table and coffee table. Incongruously, our rooms had had some upgrades – new modern light fittings and switches, for instance. But there’s no air-conditioning – cooling is by ceiling fan and open sash windows (insect-screened). There’s no bar fridge to keep cold water or milk for coffee. Not that it was hot; in fact we didn’t use the fan that much. Other rooms are being upgraded so say, next year, it may well be terrific.

The bathroom, too, was big, with a huge full length shower and plenty of bench space, a large mirror and shaving mirror, soap on tap in the shower, hairdryer and a clothesline in the shower.

The public areas are well appointed and it has unbelievably fast wi-fi (they boast the fastest in Nairobi – in my experience, it’s the fastest in Africa!) – free and available in-room. There’s a business centre and conference facilities and some guests were obviously here for business. There are several restaurants, a little shop, a gym and a pool, including a children’s wading pool. Reception is very helpful. The staff here are lovely. So polite, concerned to make sure everything is alright, and done with huge smiles. There’s plenty of security outside, and taxis are cheap and plentiful.

Most places seem to $US or Kenyan shillings, and power points are those used in the UK.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010
Lusaka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

In 1999 I went to Nairobi University for my Masters for 2 years straight and got some really good experiences of the city. However, it was only last month that I got a most excellent hospitality experience. I was on working assignment and stayed at the Fairview on Capitol Hill for about 8 days. I arrived to a setting that was surreal with lush water gardens and a most excellent, spacious room. The meals were to die for and the staff were just ‘family’! they were truly great. For me, there is no better hotel in Nairobi!!! I hope to go there again and again and again, every time I’m in the city. Bravo Fairview hotel. You’ve won one loyal customer for life!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I usually stay at chain hotels (except for the one time I stayed at the Tribe) in Nairobi. This time I stayed at the Fairview and I am convinced that I will stay here in my future trips. I stayed here about 5 years ago and the hotel has been upgraded and enlarged, but still maintains the feel of older era hotel.

The hotel is situated a bit away from the city center, which is a positive for me. Its quiet and you can hear the birds sing in the morning. Its across from the Israeli embassy so you know its secure. Green space, old style building - overall a very nice atmosphere.

There are two physical complexes separated by gates. Although the annex is nicely furnished, I prefer to stay in the main building.

The rooms have been upgraded since my last visit. I had both the "First Class" and "Business Class" rooms and they were pretty similar. However, I did see some smaller and older Business Class rooms that did not look too inviting. First Class rooms are about $20 more per night.

I had a second floor corner room with lots of windows, flat screen TV and a king sized bed. Windows were double insulated so very quiet. Nicely furnished with old wooden floor. There is WIFI throughout the hotel, but almost un-usable due to the speed. Good sized bathroom with a tub and a shower stall. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Had a meal at the pool side restaurant and the garden restaurant. Both were decent, nothing earth shattering. There are better restaurants in the city.

Overall, a very good experience and from now on plan to make it my Nairobi hotel.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed at the fairview during the easter holidays for three nights en-route to malindi. Hotel was very peaceful and staff were very helpfull. The three nights we spent there were pretty good, a big thumbs up.
However due to the volcanic ash incident, our flight back to London got cancelled and we did not have any second thoughts and headed to the Fairview. As we had just arrived from Malindi, we headed there. We enquired from the Receptionist if there were any rooms available. We specifically asked for a standard double as we did not know how long we would be stranded for. From her response, she made us believe there were room available, however her colleague then stepped in and told her not to sale us the standard but the deluxe room, which of course is more pricey. The conversation the two had was in swahili, a language am fluent at. To cut a long story short, we did not stay there because I felt they were trying to take advantage of a situation

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed at the Fairview Hotel for one night after arriving at the International Airport at 10pm and left early the next morning for our flight from Wilson Airport. Taxi transfers were organised by the hotel and were on time and reliable. We had to leave before the breakfast buffet officially opened at 6am but as they start setting up from 5am they let us have breakfast earlier, we didn't have anything cooked (they may even have provided that as well, we didn't ask) but everything else was available. Gardens looked lovely but never saw them in daylight hours, room was spacious and clean.
We booked directly with the hotel via emails which worked fine although sometimes replies to queries took longer than expected.
Would stay there again for the proximity to Wilson Airport.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple