“Still my number one choice in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

Fairview Hotel
Bishops Road | P.O Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Still my number one choice in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Safety on a business trip is not negotiable and it started at the airport where the hotel referred me to KAA Airport Taxis. Fixed price lists irrespective of traffic volumes and a good driver. When arriving in the vicinity of the Fairview we were again stopped at a "friendly road block". Friendly it was but also very diligent. Many questions asked and it took a few minutes but I realised it is because of the Israeli Embassy situated almost next door to the hotel and I didn't mind because it was also for my personal safety. I am not a sissy but well informed businessman who travels to many countries in Africa.
The safety issue continued at the entrance to the hotel from the street. Once disembarked I had to go through a metal detector and my luggage was scanned. Booking in was quick and professional. Then the safety measures continued as one needs your magnetic cardkey to move into certain sections of the hotel and eventually into your room. The suites from small to regent are across the street from the back of the hotel but again movements are restricted by the use of the magnetic cardkey.
The rooms are good value and the offerings inside the rooms are totally in line with the relevant price categories while also not exorbitant. There are, however, many occasions where climbing stairs is necessary and people with health problems that handicap the ability to move around feely should definitely ask if a room is available at ground level. There are no elevators in any of the buildings.
Full room service, well trained and diligent staff throughout, and very good food in the variety of restaurants makes one feel very much at home and unless you have to have meetings outside the hotel, there is no reason to travel. Having had to fly to Kisumu I had to go to and from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Otherwise the Fairview is a preferred place for business meetings for many business people and it is nice not to have to go to them but having them comer to you.
The garden and pool are even better than my own at home and a must for a lover of being outside as much as possible.
I have been staying over at the Fairview for quite a number of years and find it almost amazing the many of the staff members that I met during my first visit are still there today.
I can definitely recommend the Fairview to any businessman without any reservations.
Nico K

Room Tip: Rooms across the street are quiter
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I have stayed at the Fairview twice in the last 9 months and really like the quality of service there. They really aim to create a very pleasant experience for every type of traveler.

I've found nearly all the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. For example, once I was dissatisfied with a meal and didn't eat it. I had no intention of complaining about the meal - I simply sent it back and paid for it. However, when the chef noticed that I didn't eat it he immediately offered to prepare me something new (for free) or give me dessert (for free). It wasn't necessary but a very nice gesture.

I like the large size of the rooms and bathrooms, the functional design, and the overall quality of decorations, etc. in the rooms. The internet in the rooms and the common spaces is pretty good. Their gym is well equipped and maintained. Their lounge (with the fireplaces) are also well-kept and very cozy! The restaurants are fairly decent and I like that they revamped the menu for one of them in during the 9 months that I was away. The quality of the food is average, not exceptional, which is why I can't give 5 stars.

I also like that they have arranged taxi rates with a select group of drivers and posted it in their lobby. (The rates are a bit outdated now.) It's also a huge relief to have the Israeli Embassy next door, which heightens the level of security in the area.

At the end of a busy day, I was actually content to return to the hotel instead of dreading it. That's important since I usually spend at least a week there.

Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed in this hotel in late July for a night before continuing on to the coast. I think the Isreali embassy is right next door so you can imagine the security in the area. The check points started down the street! I was travelling with my wife and 9 year old son and we felt welcome right from the moment we arrived.
The hotel itself has a main building with the reception on one side of a small side street and another block across the road. We had booked a first class room which was located on the other side of the street. The walk was over 5 minutes which was did cause stress even though someone helped us with our luggage. I would recommend staying in the main building where the breakfast is also served.
The breakfast had a small selection but you had the feeling you could probably get anything you wanted just by asking. As usual in Kenya, very well trained staff who are always friendly and accommodating.
It was only a night but the hotel left a good impression and I would certainly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building, not in the block across the street.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Suberb service, many levels of rooms, all of them comfortable and full of thoughtful details. The public spaces invite comfort and lounging: truly a welcoming and personal hotel with beautiful gardens and as much (or as little) luxury as you require.

Room Tip: There are many options, from quaint and simple colonial to modern and luxurious. All are clean and s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dar Es Salaam Region, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We spend two nights here on our first visit to East africa.Warm welcome,comfortable bed and good food...cheers to the service team. The best breakfast setup...quite a wide range to choose from..beautiful gardens and furnishment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Staying at Fairview you have more a feeling of being in a botanical garden than a city hotel. You will hardly find any greener hotel anywhere. The staff is serviceminded and attentive and 5 different restaurants offers a variety of menues. The rooms were clean, but rather modest. The pool was nice, but being in the middle of the Pwani Restaurant you were not necessarily tempted to be a part of the lunch menu.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Had a one night stay here before travelling on to the Royal Mara Safari Lodge. The hotel was immaculate with comfortable rooms, wifi, friendly staff and excellent choice of food. The grounds were exquisite and relaxing and it also is one of the safest hotels to stay in being situated opposite a government building with 24hr armed guards. Would recommend this hotel and only sorry we didn't have more time there to enjoy the excellent facilities on offer .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Fairview Hotel? Share your experiences!