“More than I can say” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“More than I can say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Fairview has to be my favorite hotel in the world. I went there with my friend (only two of us) when we were both 16, and the hotel gave us extreme care. Fairview hosted an incredibly friendly, safe and relax atmosphere, resulting in a harmonious relation between guests which hitherto I have not found in any other hotel yet. Fairview is also said to have the best sushi bar in East Africa, according to TIME. It's just too difficult to write a review for a hotel I love so much so I would just stop here (damn it!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Padstow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I booked online on 1st December for three economy double night's bed and breakfast in early January 2014. I paid the cheapest price on Tripadvisor which was £740 with Olotel. When I got to the hotel they had printed in their fixed price tariff on the reception desk - £133 per night which is £400. I want a refund of £340 but can't speak to either Olotel or Tripadvisor because they have no "contact us" online facility.
Add to this - the breakfast was very poor quality. e.g. Even when you ignore their bullet like poached eggs sitting in the heated trays and ask for fresh-cooked there is no-one in the server who understands what a soft yolk is. The room was very "tired" and hadn't seen any decoration or maintenance for years.
Very disappointing. Last time I stayed there it was great value. It was a most enjoyable experience. AVOID THE FAIRVIEW IN NAIROBI AND MORE IMPORTANTLY AVOID BOOKING WITH TRIPADVISOR AND OLOTEL!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights prior to our trip to Mt. Kenya and returned for one more night at the end. The hotel is wonderful with great service, nice rooms and meals were fresh and had varieties to choose from. We stayed in First Class rooms which were quite comfortable.

The hotel's grounds are beautiful and the setting cool in a countryside style. It is quite secure with friendly security checks. Breakfast here was tasty. The staff were quite helpful, informed and ready to help when called upon.

I recommend the hotel to others visiting Nairobi.

Room Tip: First class rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed at the Fairview for 4 nights in Feb 2014, after a colleague recommended it to me. It is a beautiful, colonial-style property which is far removed from the soulless international chains found in most cities. I found the Fairview to be very comfortable, extremely quiet after 10pm, and easy to get a really peaceful night's sleep in. I ate in the main restaurant (breakfast), the poolside Pwani (dinner, twice), and the garden cafe (lunch), and the food and beverage service was great. Wireless connection in the hotel was perfect. Without exception, the hotel staff were very friendly and showed great dedication to customer service. I'd highly recommend the Fairview and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Staffordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed at the fairview hotel at the end of our family holiday trip to Kenya in January 2014. We were so excited to be staying at the hotel and read many fantastic reviews. I paid in full months in advance for all seven of us to stay in first class rooms for one night before returning to the UK.

The hotel is very beautiful to look at with lots of space to go and relax and the pool area is lovely. The rooms leave a lot to be desired. The staff in general are good but the reception team are limited at best. If you have a simple check in I am sure they can handle that but anything above that, you need to speak to management.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were informed by the reception person that our rooms were not available because another group hadn't checked out of our rooms as planned and we had rooms reserved at another hotel instead! This was at 1930hrs after a flight into Nairobi. We were so unhappy since our rooms had been reserved and paid for months in advance.

The reception staff were less than helpful and were not willing to help to resolve the situation of my group, which is why we had to call on the manager who in all fairness did try hard to help out as much as she could. It took over an hour (after asking for the manager) to get all of us rooms for the night but as a compromise we had to down grade 4 of the rooms and upgrade one of the rooms.

This was a holiday of a lifetime and we had a fantastic time up to this point -it was just a shame that the final hotel was such a complete let down.

The down graded rooms had the feel of a low budget hotel back in the UK and my room was full of mosquitos which kept me awake most of the night.

My parents had the upgrade and although it was nice they were concerned about the security of the room as upon returning from breakfast they had four workers in the room carrying out maintenance without prior warning.

My sister and her partner had to go down to reception and change rooms once again because they had been put into a twin room….. so by dinner time it was not the best start to the evening.

We were told that as a gesture of good will that they were going to seat us at the pool side restaurant for a complimentary meal which was great but when we were taken to our seats we were upstairs in an empty room with no lights away from the pool. Now the staff were excellent at this point, they bent over backwards to try and get candles and lay the table for us (it was a closed off area for overflow guests with no atmosphere and nowhere near the pool). My sister went to the manager once again who then got us a table by the pool and we had to go and get our own chair from other tables which was a little awkward.

The food in all fairness was excellent and the choice options were great.

Breakfast the following morning was a buffet breakfast and very disappointing. My sister and her boyfriend had a good breakfast at 7.10am with lots of options. We arrived at 8.45am and there was hardly anything left! We asked the lady who seated us if the food was going to be restocked soon because we were happy to wait and she said just to go and ask the chef. The breakfast didn't close unit 10am but if you get there after 8.30 don't expect hot of fresh food. I stuck to cereal and room temperature milk and left quickly.

I won't ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Sincere apologies from all of us at the Fairview.

The unfortunate situation on arrival with the unexpected overbooking and the compromises you made regarding your rooms must have created a poor first impression of our service standards which is contrary to our reputation. We hope that the 20% discount on your room rate and the complimentary dinner helped to mitigate your disappointment. Your local agent was also informed about the situation and measures taken to address it. Please let us know how else we can make it up to you.

Regarding service at breakfast- Kindly can you elaborate as to what was missing from the buffet.

It was unacceptable for our maintenance team to enter your parents room before check-out as our procedure is very clear. I will ensure this does not recur.

I hope you will give us another opportunity so that we can make it up to you and show you why this was an isolated case as evidenced by our rating and feedback on TripAdvisor.

Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at the Fairview Hotel for 2 nights before our safari and it was a nice introduction to the city after a couple long flights. We arrived late at night and since a few others from our same flight were checking into the hotel had to wait a little while before getting into the room. Not a big deal, but they only had one check-in agent at the desk at it seems like a lengthier process so had they known about the number of check-ins maybe they could have scheduled a 2nd person in? The guy at the Front Desk was very nice and friendly though, as were the people bringing our bags to our room.

We were in the building that you have to go back out the main entrance, across the street so a short walk but not bad. The gardens in the property are very nice and well maintained. Security is tight as well and you have to use your key to access the different gates. We found out it is across the street from the Israeli embassy so you can imagine security is good.

Our room was extremely big. Had a seating area in the front as well as small kitchen (microwave, fridge, oven), a very large washroom with shower and tub and hairdryer, also shampoo/conditioner/moisturizer and 2 bottled waters, the bedroom was also very large with king sized bed. TV in the bedroom can access many international news channels. Only downfall was no AC so it was a bit warm but it was manageable.

With your stay it includes a buffet breakfast which is very good. Wide selection of items to choose from - coffee, tea, juices, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, pastries plus cooked items and also an omelette/egg station with bacon and sausages. Everything you could ask for! On our last morning we had to check out very early so before the breakfast's 6am start time but they opened it early for us so we could eat before our next flight - very thoughtful!

Room Tip: Check which building you are in. We were a bit far away but our room was huge, I'm not sure abou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

This beautiful hotel is not only set in the most incredible grounds, but your stay is made perfect with the best service staff I have ever come upon in all my years of travel.

Four onsite restaurants allow you to fully indulge (which could be a problem for some) in menus that gives you the very best of some of the worlds best cuisines. We planned to go out for most of our dinners in Nairobi, but the variety of food and stunning settings for us to enjoy it all resulted in us returning "home" most nights.

Safety, comfort, relaxation, personalisation and pleasure is what the hotel achieves for every one of their guests.

The entire hotel experience is just magical and the idea of leaving at the end of your stay is the only negative experience you will have at the Fairview Hotel.

Loved it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairview Hotel? Share your experiences!