We recently stayed here after our safari as a transit point as our flight was the next evening to London, UK. The hotel is located right across from the Israeli Embassy so security is tight but the hotel premises are very safe. It took about 20 minutes to arrive from Wilson airport as there was mild traffic congestion.
We stayed in one of the junior suites which is located across a small road from reception. Key card entry was required through all gates so it felt safe. The grounds are beautiful with lots of greenery and with a sufficient number of restaurants to choose from.
The internet connection was very good, which was a pleasant surprise. The internet was included in the cost of the room.
The room itself was a bit dated, but the bed was very comfortable. We had a nice kitchenette which we didn't end up using as our stay was short. The living room area was nice, but note that there is no door between the bedroom and living room area so noise will travel. The bathroom was sufficiently large but could use renovation. There was no door on the shower, so the bathroom did tend to get quite wet if you had a shower.
The hotel is a nice sanctuary from the rest of Nairobi, but I would note the following could be improved:
- checkout time is 10am which is rather early. As we had an 11:40pm flight to London, we opted to pay the additional half day rate to keep the room until 7pm, which worked for us. However, a 11am or noon checkout time is more normal by western standards (and western standards are obviously the standard to which this hotel is aspiring given the price point and clientele of the hotel)
- as a result of extending our stay until 7pm, we asked for additional bottles of water at reception to brush our teeth (two small bottles are supplied per room and we had run out). That water did not ever come but we believed this was a reasonable request given that we did pay an additional 50%.
- cleanliness could be improved. I found a huge hairball in our room, and it wasn't our hair as the colour of the hair was different. Not acceptable in my opinion.
- there was a noticeable 'gaseous' smell in our bedroom - we couldn't figure out where it was coming from and opening the window did not solve the problem
- our telephone did not work. We tried several times to call the front desk, using the speed dial options as well as the actual extension numbers but ended up having to walk to the front desk for any questions / requests. This was a bit annoying
- this is a minor complaint, but there was no conditioner nor body lotion. At this price point, these toiletries should be included
On the plus side, the breakfast buffet was very good, with an excellent selection of food. The staff were friendly. The pool area and first class lounge were nice. Finally, there was a good giftshop with a good selection of souvenirs at moderate prices.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but certain improvements could easily be made, as noted above. However, as our primary concerns were a good sleep in a safe location, I would still give this hotel a '4'.
The junior suites are nice and spacious, if your budget allows.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.