“disapointing and expensive” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
“disapointing and expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

well, the place is nice but... ! poor service, poor food, and quite expensive !
The waiter was stressed, obviously overloaded. The fish was dry, obviously overcooked... it came with a few vegetable and a salad which I didn't ask for... and let me sick during 3 days.
Not recommended

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Sincere apologies from all of us at the Fairview. We would like to make it up to you and investigate the issues you have raised. Please make contact with our reservations office to facilitate this.

I hope you will give us another opportunity so we can show you why your disappointment on your last visit was an isolated case.

Regards,

Mark | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel

832 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Sitka, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was in Nairobi for 5 days on business. The Fairview provided a wonderful from the hustle of the city in a garden setting that was good for relaxing at the end of the day. I made use of the pool to work out and found the kitchen very good, with tasty meals and a good breakfast.

There is wi-fi throughout the hotel with good coverage, usually a choice of several hubs, although when I was there there the internet was often slow. I am told it was that way throughout East Africa because of a severed undersea cable. But, as I said, coverage was good.

Many rooms do not have AC. For me this was not a problem because evenings were cool and I enjoyed sleeping with an open window (good screens) and waking to birdsong. I had no problems with insects, if you are worried.

I do not know if there is an elevator in some of the taller buildings. The rooms are spread out in low rise buildings and I was only one floor up so never looked for one.

Staff was professional and laid back. This is a no hassle place.

This garden hotel is very close to downtown so it was convenient for business.

Room Tip: There are several classes of room. I was in a Business Room which is the next to the lowest categor...
Orange County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We arrived in Nairobi Airport at approx 9:30 p.m. on a BA flight from London. We drove 20 minutes with no traffic straight to the hotel. There is a significant amount of security in the immediate vicinity of the hotel and on the hotel grounds. According to our driver, the Israeli Embassy is right across the street from the hotel and the reason for the heightened security.

The check in was very easy. The room was pleasant but not memorable. It was quite and the mattress was comfortable. We slept well but that may have been a function of flying from Los Angeles to Nairobi more that the comfort of the room and bed. The bathroom was large and everything functioned properly. The only complaint I had about the room was the shower curtain was too short. This meant the floor got very wet with each shower.

We received breakfast with the room the next morning. The breakfast buffet provided a large selection of food, including eggs cooked to order. We were able to look briefly at the hotel grounds and public areas before we left to start our safari. The grounds are very pleasant and so are the public areas.

I have no idea how much I paid for this room for one night, it was part of a package the travel agent put together for me. So I cannot say if it was a good value or not. I can say it met our needs, a clean quite room to get a good night’s sleep followed by a large breakfast to start our safari vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at the Fairview in February 2012 for 5 nights; the hotel staff is warm, friendly and will go out of their way to assist you. The food is terrific, nice selection at breakfast and several restaurants to choose from for your lunch and dinner...my favorite is the restaurant by the pool (great views), excellent service and delicious food. My room was clean and spacious, with the ceiling fan and flat screen TV, it was all very comfortable. The Fairview has excellent customer service, wonderful rooms and delcious food. If you will be in Nairobi, I highly recommend the Fairview!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed here for about three weeks while I was working in Nairobi in the summer of 2011.
The grounds were beautiful and really quiet! It was great to unwind in the evenings by the pool out back or on the terrace at the front of the property. The rooms were nice (nothing special but really nice) and the beds were very comfortable. Both the bathroom and room itself were always extremely clean. The breakfast buffet was pretty great! I was always finding something new to eat. The best part was that I could splurge and eat pancakes or I could eat an egg white omelette and fruit and be a bit more healthy. My only complaint about the food is that there weren't many "local" choices, which would have been nice.
The staff at the hotel were amazing! Honestly the most friendly, accommodating and helpful staff I've had at any hotel. I can't say enough!
All in all, I'd recommend staying here if you're visiting Nairobi.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is just such a wonderful place to stay in Nairobi. great staff and great service with super ammenities. I wasn't aware for instance that by staying in a first class room,I had use of the lounge upstairs which included use of the computer, and printer. What a bonus when I needed to print our some documents ahead of a meeting, the business centre manager referred me to lounge.

Room Tip: Rooms at the pool have more of a breeze flowing through them as they open out onto the pool area.
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The hotel is one of the nicest we have stayed at so far. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. From the reception to the cleaning staff they were all most helpful and friendly. Our booking included breakfast which was always most agreeable. The complex is set in wonderful gardens and the area around the pool was very relaxing. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are in the main building (and up some stairs) and some are set further into the gr...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fairview Hotel? Share your experiences!