“Security at Fairview a Priority” 5 of 5 stars

Fairview Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bishops Road | P.O Box 40842, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Encinitas
“Security at Fairview a Priority”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed at the Fairview prior to a family safari. It was clean, beautifully landscaped, and has excellent personnel. We were very impressed with the security. It is located next to the Israeli Embassy so there are security guards everywhere! I wish we had more time to enjoy the grounds because they are absolutely amazing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Just had a weekend here with my mum visiting (because my flat has no spare room!). It was lovely on all accounts. We chose it because of the location, but I would actually recommend it to anyone staying in town. It's like not being in hectic nairobi at all! It was my mum's treat to me but looking at the price I would say it's also good value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Geldrop, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

A good room price/quality, good staff, nice garden, good situated and last but not least good restaurants. I will surely come back

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I spent 2 nights in the Fairview recovering from a long flight before leaving on a tour. I didn't actually get out of the hotel and so can't comment on location in terms of access to sights/city but the hotel itself feels like its located in the country. Its established in large, beautifully maintained gardens with a pool, bar and number of restaurants. Its a very gorgeous place to walk through. And it feels secure/safe. My large room was located towards the back of the hotel with a beautiful view overlooking the gardens. As well as the usual amenities, there was a big bed and ensuite. The ensuite is in need of a facelift but that didn't really bother me. The room itself was clean and quiet. Breakfast is included and is a huge buffet - you wont go hungry! Wi-fi is free up to a certain number of hours and then you pay for extra. The staff were polite and helpful. For around AUD$120/night I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

An enjoyable stay. The atmosphere is calm and relaxed. The hotel is popular with NGO and diplomat types who are in Nairobi to work which seems to alter the feel. Given Nairobi's appalling traffic problems, the Fairview is perfectly positioned to get pretty much anywhere with minimal problems. Clean quiet room, excellent breakfast. Staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Minor moans. Breakfast in the room was charged at full rate, ie even if you have paid for "bed and breakfast", they will charge you for the breakfast in the room. I could understand a surcharge but charging again seems a little excessive. Irritating, but the food quality was excellent.

Wifi did not work in our room, I did not bother to find out why.

They would not allow us to book a late check out until the morning of the same day. They offered the alternative of charging for a full additional night to hold the room. I can understand that they don't want to loose a full booking, but I have not encountered this anywhere else.

The trainee on the desk was pretty clueless, but he was well supported when he started floundering.

We forgot toothpaste and did not discover until late at night! Most hotels of this quality will keep such 'essentials' behind the desk in some form or other, but they could only tell us to wait until the shop opened next day.

But these are minor niggles, overall the experience was very good.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting The Fairview with my girlfriend for four-plus-four nights (broken up by a safari) in September, 2011. It is far and away the best hotel I've stayed at in Africa, and in fact one of the most memorable ones anywhere.

Location

I was initially worried about staying somewhere not in the city centre, but the Fairview's location turned out to be a blessing. Being directly across from the Israeli Embassy and surrounded by guards and gates it's extremely safe. And away from the chaotic hustle and bustle of downtown Nairobi the grounds are an oasis of calm. Many times my girlfriend and I found ourselves walking around the grounds to stretch our legs after a long car ride, or to digest a delicious meal.

I'll even go so far as to say that I'm not sure why anyone would want to spend a significant amount of time in the downtown core. I suppose if you were here on business you might have to, but I bet your clients would prefer to meet you at the Fairview instead!

Staff

It's worth mentioning how incredibly friendly and helpful the staff were, from the bellhops who whisked away our luggage to our room, to the chefs who made our omelettes, to the front desk staff who were always ready to change money or answer dumb tourist questions.

Despite a fair number of people staying on the property (including a Microsoft conference) the hotel never felt busy -- I attribute this to the staff keeping everything running so smoothly.

Rooms

We stayed in a first class room (number 53) on the west side of the property. I was a bit iffy on the lack of available air conditioning but it turned out to be a non-issue -- our room was more than adequately cooled by a roll-away fan/humidifier (see photos). There's also a large ceiling fan. Or you could just leave the windows open.

The bed was firm and extremely comfortable, the bathroom enormous & clean and there was lots to watch on the wall-mounted flatscreen TV... almost too much!

Internet is provided in the rooms via an Ethernet cable or password-protected access to property-wide WiFi.

You need to understand that I'm a huge fan of hotel breakfasts, and the Fairview's morning buffet often had me on the verge of tears. It was that good.

In addition to the standard western fare -- eggs cooked to order, bacon, sausage, grilled tomatoes, et al -- there was an unexpected French influence in the items on offer, notably beignets for your coffee and just about the best crepes I've ever tasted. Seriously.

There was also a fantastic selection of fresh fruit and juices, and the coffee was just about perfect -- not too strong for your first cup of the day but certainly not bland.

Elsewhere on the property we enjoyed delicious pizzas and pasta on the patio of the Mukutan Garden Café and an epic gourmet dinner in the second floor dining room to celebrate our last night at the Fairview. The bananas flambé is a definite win.

Extras

Our first class room gave us access to a small lounge off the second floor dining room, with a laptop and complimentary beverages like french press coffee and herbal tea. Rest assured, we spent a lot of time here too.

I should also note that the hotel stored some bags for us while we were away on safari, at no charge. And when we checked back in at the Fairview we were able to enjoy the same spacious room we had on our first four nights there.

Nitpicking

We loved the Fairview so much that it's difficult to think of anywhere it came up short. But in an effort to be fair and balanced I'll point out two extremely minor things:

1. One of the movie channels on the TV seemed like it was broadcast from the hotel. I say this because once or twice we found ourselves watching something with a Windows Start Menu across the bottom of the screen. Oops.

2. Being a bit of a computer geek I would have configured the hotel-wide WiFi a little differently -- having a single mesh network instead of a collection of disparate hotspots would save a guest having to bring their username & password with them and their laptop to log in at the pool, patio, etc.

But did either of these things have any negative impact on our stay at The Fairview? Absolutely not. We had an amazing stay there, and I wish to extend my gratitude to the staff of this wonderful hotel, and to the TripAdvisor community for bringing it to our attention.

Room Tip: First class rooms are definitely worth it.