“Repeat visitor on wedding anniversary” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harry Thuku Rd, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 119 Hotels in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nairobi
“Repeat visitor on wedding anniversary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Did not anticipate our clearly stated needs.4hrs check in time unacceptable
They knew from previous visits of back problem I have and had same stated on booking email but they still took 4 hrs to sort that out only to get a room with one set of towels and room slippers. Didn't seem ready for an anniversary couple on their 8th visit back!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Durban, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Terrible security.. I was supposed to stay for 2 weeks but moved to another hotel because of very poor security. My room was left WIDE OPEN for 2 consecutive days during my stay. I assume they cleaned my room but to leave it wide open with all my stuff inside is very irresponsible! In Dec. 16, I came back from work discovering that my room door was left open by the cleaning staff. I called the front desk and the Duty Manager came to speak to me. He assured me it will not happen again. The following day, I came back from work and found the door open again. The Room Service Manager came and told me nothing is lost anyway and that there was something wrong with the door. There was nothing wrong with the door. I showed her how I close it every morning and it would lock properly. The problem is negligence on the staff cleaning my room and not paying attention to keeping the door closed. Obviously, my complaint on the first incident was not taken seriously as it happened again the following day.

This is unacceptable. I chose to stay at the hotel trusting the staff will look after my security. Two possible things could have happened, losing my belongings in the room or have some intruder attack me in the room when I get in. The Room Service Manager on her defense stated that the hotel is very safe and nothing will be lost in the room. I disagree, the hotel is not a safe place to stay, having found my room left open twice for 2 consecutive days while I was out on business meetings. You cannot guarantee the state of mind of people in the hotel, guests or staff, hence, security should always be taken into account and rooms should not be left wide open for everyone. I always chose Norfolk whenever I travel to Nairobi but this incident had totally changed my perception of the hotel. Definitely not worth the rates I paid for.

The staff gave me the e-mail address of the general manager Richard Kimenyi but got no response from him. So this is what you call hospitality business?!

I will never stay again in the hotel. There are a lot of better options in Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I Stayed at the Fairmont for a week on my last trip to Nairobi Kenya for a business trip. It was my first visit to the hotel and I have stayed at many of the other 5 star hotels in the area. The Fairmont was by far the best I have stayed in for Business. It is quite and the grounds and staff were excellent. Rooms where clean and spacious and the meeting areas where outstanding.

the security was more than acceptable and the bellmen will do anything to help with your needs. Even had one of them accompany me up town to make sure I was treated fairly when dealing with local merchants! Saved me allot of money. They really go above and beyond for their guests.

Food was great and breakfast was one of the best in Nairobi.

Allot of history with this place and the details of the ground crew are noticeable and much appreciated. Internet was as good as it gets in town.

I will be returning to Nairobi multiple times this year and will only stay at Fairmont The Norfolk after experiencing all other 5 star hotels in the area.

Great Place, Great Location, Great Accommodations and the Best Staff in Nairobi

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Davide B, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Drporter39,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor!

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your great feedback and rating us the Best 5 star Hotel in Nairobi!

Also, we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your first stay with us and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our clean and spacious guest rooms, our quite grounds, our great food and breakfast, great internet connectivity and exceptional customer service from our colleagues.

It is always our aim to make your stay memorable. With pleasure we have shared your comments with our team.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Nairobi.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed there for four day, my stay was very pleasant.
The service team are very friendly and always offer to help.
The hotel is nice and clean, rooms are new and decent.

My room was on the main building, where I had access to sort of English court, which I liked very much.

In general I will go back again if I'm in town.

Dear Abolghar,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us; our nice and clean hotel, decent guest rooms and our friendly, service oriented staff.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont The Norfolk in the not so distant future.

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Tired? Long hard journey? You'll be right at home here because this hotel is tired and seems to have had a long hard journey too.

Staff have no idea what they're doing because they are not empowered by management to make any kind of decisions.

The food and beverage is giving a whole new meaning to the local interpretation of Nairobi as 'now rob me'

Lock it down and rebuild it in a sensible configurational. This hotel is a pointless exercise in looking back at perceived past glories in rose tinted spectacles.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Carrollton, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Fairmont the Norfolk bills itself as a luxurious 5-star resort. I've stayed in nicer hotels at lower rates in other parts of the world. The hotel is an historic location and is well kept. My room was spacious and clean, although it did show normal wear and tear (stains on carpet and chair). The property has excellent security. There are three restaurants on site; the prices are high (normal for a hotel) and the food is so-so. Lord Delamere Terrace was the best dining option, but the breakfast was hardly worth $30. The staff were all friendly, but not always very helpful. Overall, Fairmont the Norfolk is a good choice. But if you are looking for luxury or looking for value, stay somewhere else.

A few tips: the hotel offers a free shuttle service from the airport; see their website for booking.

Internet access is now free. The desk clerk told me to log in as a guest, not as a President's Club member, and that there would be no charge. When logging in, the site tells you it is Ksh 1800 per day, and when you click 'OK' it then states that you will be charged Ksh 500 per hour. Neither is true; I was charged nothing as the desk clerk had said. It's a little confusing.

Check out is at 10:00 a.m., but they extended my checkout to noon ay no additional charge.

The business center is free to use, but you will need to ask someone to enter a password into the printer if you want to print something.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Davide B, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Kirk W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay in our property while travelling to Nairobi;

We do pay lots of attention to all our guests commentaries, whether positive or negative as we believe this is the only real tool that allow us to constantly ameliorate our service and offerings and indeed we are sorry to read about your disappointment towards certain of those;

Just for your information, we have initiated a full renovation of our 110th year’s old property and 70% of it has been completed, the remaining will soon to be launched and hopefully this will assist us in finding a remedy to the wear & tear we have naturally been experiencing;

As for the culinary experience, please allow us to say that we are very often praised to offer some very good experiences across all our outlets, whether at Tatu’s our awarded steak house or at our Lord Delamere Terrace, the all-day dining option, including breakfast were we display 7 different food & beverage stations, including a healthy juice bar with freshly squeezed organic vegetables and fruits and quiet a variety of diversified products, freshly prepared or cooked in front of our guests; we would love to learn more from you and understand what and how we could do better;

We are glad to read you have enjoyed our free internet and free shuttle to the airport, we are currently upgrading the bandwidth to allow superior net speed and thus, to make sure we meet with our guests ‘expectations, sorry about the confusing log in procedure, misleading you with the wrong information deriving from the changes we are working on;

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback

Area General Manager, Kenya
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, Kenya
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for three nights recently on business. The Norfolk is steeped in history however the hotel has been renovated in the past year and wow it really is amazing. Service and attention to detail from the moment of arrival has been well considered. Security is part and parcel of staying in the 5* hotel in Nairobi, it should not be an obstacle and is there for your comfort and safetly although i found the local area more than safe to walk about on foot. If you want free internet register with the Presidents Club online before you arrive. Tatu restaurant is an amazing experience you must try at least once during your stay. Generally expect to pay more for the food and beverage outlets in this hotel. In summary i would certainly come back and spend more time here. Opt for a room on the ground floor with a terrace. I found the rooms facing the courtyard lacked a level of privacy.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the renovated wings, opt for a room with a terrace. Courtyard rooms are great for a...