“Fairmont Norfolk and oasis in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harry Thuku Rd, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 124 Hotels in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morristown, New Jersey
“Fairmont Norfolk and oasis in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We began our 12-day safari at the Fairmont Norfolk Hotel. After being among the first to fly in to Nairobi after the airport was closed due to a fire, we arrived jet lagged and amid chaos. Being taken to the Fairmont Norfolk was like finding an oasis. The hotel is beautiful! Our rooms were extremely comfortable. We returned again mid-safari for another quick stay. There was a wedding taking place -- all very beautiful. We ate at the main restaurant where the food was high caliber. The breakfast buffet had a huge offering -- everything you could imagine and all delicious. For a serene and restful break between game preserves, I would recommend the Fairmont Norfolk.

Room Tip: Our rooms faced the inner courtyard which has an abundance of beautiful flowering plants. We also bo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed on the 2nd August 2013, on our way to the Masai Mara. It was my first time to Nairobi and I expected a little more history from what I understood to be one of the oldest hotels. That said, the welcome from the bellmen and porters is great and the lobby area and front terrace restaurant and bar at the back have good atmosphere.
The room was clean, comfortable and with a good bathroom. Don't stay in Room 22 - it has a sliding door on to a small courtyard but is right opposite the hotel's central airconditioning tower and the accompanying noise sounds like you're still in a plane, all night.
Food and drinks were good but expensive, but I understand quite standard for Nairobi.

Room Tip: Don't take room 22. Request a ground floor room on to central courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Stewartsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

As part of a Collette Safari tour we stayed here 1 night at the beginning of the tour, a night towards the end and then spent a couple of hours (no room, just lobby and bar) between the end of the tour and the trip to the airport.

There is a beautiful garden area to get to the rooms. Note it is historic so there are steps to get to most rooms.

The lobby and bar are nicely arranged with very comfortable chairs.

On the last day we had bar snacks, samosas which were tasty.

Breakfast buffet was excellent, lots of choices, well prepared including made to order omelets.

Amenities you would expect at a luxury hotel. Everything clean and well maintained. It is a historic hotel so the decor is fitting with the history. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

WIfi is free if you join the frequent visitors club - if you know you are staying, I suggest you sign up in advance so you do not have to apply when you check out.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very good service with nice pool and bar. My wife also had a nice massage at the SPA. Conveniently located in a safe area. Quiet and clean. Rooms of nice size with very confortable beds. Nice crowd with a mixture of tourists and business. Only thing is that it is a little old...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Andrea N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us on Trip Advisor. We hope that you will return again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Maybe I was just incredibly lucky. I've been blessed to be able to travel and stay in top-rated hotels for pleasure, and have travelled quite a lot for many years on business trips. My recent stay in Nairobi at the Fairmont-the Norfolk, was without hesitation the best overall hotel experience I have ever had. If you are coming to Nairobi--try The Norfolk.

This is a rare old hotel that has actually been maintained and updated to keep its history but not miss any convenience. The buildings, grounds, and rooms are all impeccably clean and maintained. The health club is not a luxury spa, but well above average for what one would expect in a business hotel, or hotel where I expect tourists passing through Nairobi often stay. The food out of the regular kitchen, even for room service, is well above average. Quite fresh and well-prepared.

A clean, pleasant setting is of course nothing without friendly, competent, attentive staff. Here, The Norfolk simply excels to a degree I've never encountered. Whether reception, the porters, concierge, room service, housekeeping, bar/lounge, restaurants, health club--everyone was extraordinarily professional, efficient, and just happy!

Perhaps I was very lucky. Of course, no place is perfect. But my experience was that the Fairmont-The Norfolk comes as close to a perfect hotel experience as I would ever dare expect.

Room Tip: There is the original courtyard with a gorgeous lawn and gardens, just a little less private. The ne...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Daniel D,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel on your recent visit to Nairobi.

We are humbled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and we are equally delighted that you have highly recommended us. It is through such positive reviews that will encourage more potential guests to choose our Hotel.

My Team and I look forward to welcome you back to our Hotel in the not so distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont The Norfolk for a week long business trip. The hotel seemed to cater for a mixed crowd of tourists on safari and business travellers. The location is just off the CBD, next to the University on a quiet street, although I felt very safe within the boundaries of the hotel.

Upon arriving I was welcomed by the friend door staff and security (a common aspect in Kenya) and as it was evening, my check-in was expedited swiftly by the helpful reception.
The grounds of the hotel are amazing, very fitting for any Kenyan venue and the room certainly matched the surroundings. It was very large with a seating area and a work space.
During my stay, I didn't have a chance to use the facilities or restaurants although I heard they were very good. However, I sampled the room service throughout my stay and it was by far the best variety/choice I've experienced at any hotel and the quality was like dining in a 5-star restaurant every time!

My only gripe would be the taxi service contracted out by the hotel, it's not a very efficient service and even with calling ahead or pre-planning the pick-ups from my client's location they were always 1-1.5 hours late.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kmalho,

Thank you for sharing your "Best Hotel Experience Ever" on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay.

I have noted your comments on our taxi services which I have reviewed with my team and the contracted taxi company for better and efficient services.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Corona , California USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Was here for a day , a stepping stone to an African safari. The staff were very friendly and helpful.the food was excellent. The
entire hotel was very clean. The rooms were well appointed with all the amenities , attention paid to the minutest detail
I even found aq shoe horn in the cabinet. There was nothing more to be desired. The wireless Internet was very fast the wired LAN connection was even faster. Although it is advertised as a chargeable service if one joins the presidents club on arrival there is no charge for internet access. The hotel is a little pricey but then again it is fully worth the money.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Nalin_9,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your kind words with our Teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Richard

Been to Fairmont The Norfolk? Share your experiences!