“Nice stay - a little old...” 4 of 5 stars

Fairmont The Norfolk
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harry Thuku Rd, Nairobi 00200, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Milan, Italy
“Nice stay - a little old...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very good service with nice pool and bar. My wife also had a nice massage at the SPA. Conveniently located in a safe area. Quiet and clean. Rooms of nice size with very confortable beds. Nice crowd with a mixture of tourists and business. Only thing is that it is a little old...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Andrea N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us on Trip Advisor. We hope that you will return again soon.

Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Maybe I was just incredibly lucky. I've been blessed to be able to travel and stay in top-rated hotels for pleasure, and have travelled quite a lot for many years on business trips. My recent stay in Nairobi at the Fairmont-the Norfolk, was without hesitation the best overall hotel experience I have ever had. If you are coming to Nairobi--try The Norfolk.

This is a rare old hotel that has actually been maintained and updated to keep its history but not miss any convenience. The buildings, grounds, and rooms are all impeccably clean and maintained. The health club is not a luxury spa, but well above average for what one would expect in a business hotel, or hotel where I expect tourists passing through Nairobi often stay. The food out of the regular kitchen, even for room service, is well above average. Quite fresh and well-prepared.

A clean, pleasant setting is of course nothing without friendly, competent, attentive staff. Here, The Norfolk simply excels to a degree I've never encountered. Whether reception, the porters, concierge, room service, housekeeping, bar/lounge, restaurants, health club--everyone was extraordinarily professional, efficient, and just happy!

Perhaps I was very lucky. Of course, no place is perfect. But my experience was that the Fairmont-The Norfolk comes as close to a perfect hotel experience as I would ever dare expect.

Room Tip: There is the original courtyard with a gorgeous lawn and gardens, just a little less private. The ne...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Daniel D,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel on your recent visit to Nairobi.

We are humbled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and we are equally delighted that you have highly recommended us. It is through such positive reviews that will encourage more potential guests to choose our Hotel.

My Team and I look forward to welcome you back to our Hotel in the not so distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont The Norfolk for a week long business trip. The hotel seemed to cater for a mixed crowd of tourists on safari and business travellers. The location is just off the CBD, next to the University on a quiet street, although I felt very safe within the boundaries of the hotel.

Upon arriving I was welcomed by the friend door staff and security (a common aspect in Kenya) and as it was evening, my check-in was expedited swiftly by the helpful reception.
The grounds of the hotel are amazing, very fitting for any Kenyan venue and the room certainly matched the surroundings. It was very large with a seating area and a work space.
During my stay, I didn't have a chance to use the facilities or restaurants although I heard they were very good. However, I sampled the room service throughout my stay and it was by far the best variety/choice I've experienced at any hotel and the quality was like dining in a 5-star restaurant every time!

My only gripe would be the taxi service contracted out by the hotel, it's not a very efficient service and even with calling ahead or pre-planning the pick-ups from my client's location they were always 1-1.5 hours late.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kmalho,

Thank you for sharing your "Best Hotel Experience Ever" on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay.

I have noted your comments on our taxi services which I have reviewed with my team and the contracted taxi company for better and efficient services.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Corona , California USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Was here for a day , a stepping stone to an African safari. The staff were very friendly and helpful.the food was excellent. The
entire hotel was very clean. The rooms were well appointed with all the amenities , attention paid to the minutest detail
I even found aq shoe horn in the cabinet. There was nothing more to be desired. The wireless Internet was very fast the wired LAN connection was even faster. Although it is advertised as a chargeable service if one joins the presidents club on arrival there is no charge for internet access. The hotel is a little pricey but then again it is fully worth the money.

Stayed August 2013
Dear Nalin_9,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your kind words with our Teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Food excellent, tremendous service. It made our trip to Nairobi so special! Rooms are wonderful, grounds lovely. The location was terrific for all meetings in the city, and we were so happy to arrive back here after fabulous safari in Maasai Mara!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fredrikstad, Ostfold, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel last year and in 3 weeks we are going back. For us this is the only place to stay in Nairobi. The garden and the restaurant terraces are just great and we loved the quietness in the garden. The food are very good and service is excellent. Its a great place to stay for some days after being out on safari and relax before a long flight back home!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed in the Norfolk on our recent trip to Kenya. Service is generally excellent throughout the hotel, with an attentive and friendly staff. The food options are good, with a good buffet breakfast which the kids enjoyed. The Norfolk also has a good pool and health club. The obvious area for improvement is the hotel rooms themselves. While spacious, the rooms we stayed in were a little dingy and in need of a renovation. The showers had poor water pressure and little cold water, which made them difficult to use. Also, make sure you spray well for mosquitoes, as we encountered more in the Norfolk than on safari...

All in all a good stay!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Nigel D,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk. We are glad that our Health Club, customer service, food variety and buffet breakfast exceeded your expectation.
We have taken note of all the concerns raised which we shall address as a team to better our service and product.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Richard

Been to Fairmont The Norfolk? Share your experiences!