“Beautiful hotel, excellent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont The Norfolk

Save Saved
You added Fairmont The Norfolk to your Saves list
Fairmont The Norfolk
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harry Thuku Rd, Nairobi 00200, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #12 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Burlington, Vermont
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel is beautful. The rooms have been renovated, and are nicely appointed and extremely comfortablenice. The pool (heated) and the gym/spa are wonderful. And the staff are terrific.

The hotel is not cheap--but it's worth it. And the hotel's location is convenient to the CBD.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room. And some rooms have patios/balconies--which are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Ramzyk,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
We are delighted to learn that your overall stay with us was a pleasant one and it left you with such wonderful impression of our hotel.

Our aim is to always pursue the highest level of service and it is fulfilling for us that you acknowledged and have experienced it during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Richard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Windsor Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our recent trip to Kenya meant we had to have a stopover in a hotel in Nairobi before continuing on our journey we picked the Fairmont Norfolk as its close to both airports.

It is a beautiful and elegant hotel, clean, tidy, elegant, well-maintained - considering it's more than 100 years old - and everything just feels and smells majestic. It has an African feel, starting from the paintings in corridors to toilet accessories.

Food was excellent, staff were very hospitable and friendly, and the service was professional and fast. The hotel gardens are just so colorful and unique, and the style/theme is from the colonial era - very nice and cozy.

The bedrooms are very spacious, beautiful bathroom with enormous shower area, all the toiletries provided are very good. There is also an enclosed veranda with lovely couches to relax and fresh fruit provided.

Our only disappointment and this was very minor was that we had to wait for a table for breakfast as there was a conference taking place and the delegates were seated in the main dining area, perhaps the hotel could use the other area for delegates thus freeing up the front veranda part for other guests.

A wonderful hotel and would certainly choose this again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alice – Maude,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is really pleasing and inspiring for us to receive such compliments from you for every effort we make here at Fairmont The Norfolk to fulfill our guests’ expectations.

Nothing is more satisfying to us than to hear from our guests that they had a memorable stay with us.

We are however concerned to learn of the breakfast service hiccup you encountered at our restaurant in terms of speed of delivery. Please accept our sincerest apologies. We will share your comment with the Food & Beverage department so that action can be taken to prevent repeat occurrences of this nature.

Thank you for choosing Fairmont The Norfolk and we look forward to your return visit soon.

Clifton Park, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is my third trip to Nairobi. First visit I stayed at the Fairmont Norfolk. Second was at the Intercontinental. I'm back at the Fairmont for good reason. While the Intercontinental seems to be a more prestigious hotel, it's rooms are smaller and it has an antiseptic feel to it. Very business-like, but no personality. The Fairmont is the opposite.

You get the feel for the Fairmont when you drive up. It feels more like you're entering a lodge or a big residence than a hotel. The security staff, while compulsory in Nairobi at most hotels, always has a smile and a good word. Inside the hotel, I only need to say my name once. From then on, everyone calls me by my name. I'm not sure how they spread the word as they don't wear headsets like I've seen at other hotels that pull off this feat. They just seem to recognize me...even though I have met most of them only once.

Checkin has always been seamless. The staff is friendly and they go out of their way to make sure guests feel welcome and informed about the property. After checking in, the walk to the rooms takes you through a courtyard with beautiful native plants and trees. There are exotic birds chirping from sunrise to sunset.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Beds are large and mattresses are of high quality. Being one that can experience back problems in a bad bed, I greatly appreciate the quality of the mattress. There is always a selection of pillows from firm to soft. Televisions are large, HD, and have 20+ channels - not that I watch much TV while here (except for the occasional sporting event that I can get on ESPN, one of the channels they receive).

Since my last visit in 2012, the rooms have been upgraded to include multi-national electrical outlets (so I don't need my adapter), video and iPod/iPhone inputs, S-video, USB data and USB charge and audio. Very convenient. The bathroom is new and shiny. Everything works well and even the temperature control is better than my last visit. Plenty of wardrobe space and a small living area to kick back after work. The desk is big enough to hold my computer and allow me to do some writing. And WiFi is free if you signup (for free) to join the Fairmont President's Club.

I got room service and the food was excellent. The breakfast buffet is as good as any place I've been. Eggs, food cooked to order, breads, fruit, fish, Indian cuisine, fresh juice and the coffee is fabulous. Breakfast is a bit on the pricey side if purchased separately. It's free with my room package - which is equal to the base rate at the Intercon. I've had dinner at the grill in the lobby and the steaks are almost as good as you'd get in a US steakhouse.

The area around the hotel is a bit depressed although the entire hotel compound is enclosed and secure. It's like an oasis. I've had several business meetings in the outdoor bar, which has couches in the open air with attentive service (for tea, drinks, snacks). Wait staff is friendly and there when you need them.

I've used the gym and it is much better than most hotels and certainly among the best of the business hotels at which I've stayed. The pool is nice, clean and secluded. There are ample lounges and tables with umbrellas on the apron around the pool. The staff in the fitness center are also very attentive, bringing towels when you need them and offering assistance with equipment when needed.

What I just described is a very nice business hotel. However, I can't help but look forward to the trip my wife and I will eventually take together to Nairobi - to stay at the Fairmont. I'd recommend this hotel over almost any hotel at which I've stayed...not for the luxury. There more luxurious hotels. Not for the value. Certainly there are less expensive, very good hotels. But for the pleasant experience at a reasonable cost. This place is a gem. If you're in Nairobi, at least give it a try. I expect you'll be back.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Peter Kalish,

Thank you for choosing Fairmont The Norfolk for your business destination and for taking the time to leave a review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed your overall experience during your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your highlights of our rooms, excellent food and we echo your sentiments with regards to our exceptional security and service team.

Once again, many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife in the near future.

Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Checked out before a while from the Fairmont, the Norfolk, Nairobi. This is maybe one of the most beautiful and elegant hotels on earth! This has been my second visit to Nairobi, and the Fairmont made it a memorable one. The property reminded of the movies where stories take place in the 19th century - my wife described our stay as a fairy tale. The hotel is clean, tidy, elegant, well-maintained - considering it's more than 100 years old - and everything just feels and smells majestic. It has an African feel, starting from the paintings in corridors to toilet accessories. Food was excellent, staff were very hospitable and friendly, and the service was professional and fast. The whole ambience provoked a feeling like it was heaven on earth. The hotel gardens are just so colorful and unique, and the style/theme is from the colonial era - very nice and cozy. Coming to Nairobi anytime soon - this is the place to stay! P.S. one last thing - the hotel is in the heart of Nairobi

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Yousef,

Thank you very much for sharing your memorable stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.

It’s a joy to receive positive feedback from our guests, and especially as it pertains to excellent customer service and food. We pride ourselves in providing outstanding service, and we work each day to enhance the guest experience even further. We’re elated that you also enjoyed the whole ambience, beautiful gardens and the prime and convenient location

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Hotel had all the bellman whistles but in an understated way and has that old charm. The room was luxurious and was on the court side part of the hotel so was very quiet. Loved the bar area and the food in the restaurant was good, they make the best burgers! Breakfast was served on the verandah which was lovely but could easily get hot. It's next to the national university and it was graduation time during our stay. Traffic is terrible in Nairobi, graduation made it worse. I would certainly go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tumesecha,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are definitely looking forward to hosting you at Fairmont The Norfolk in the near future and making your stay exceptional, once again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had been away during the week of the election due to tribal tensions. It was so lovely to return and find the city a very different place - calm and peaceful. I treated myself to three nights at the Norfolk Hotel and was able to completely relax. I was celebrating my birthday alone as I have been traveling alone for 2 months. When Jemimah Kakindo, Food and Beverage manager, found out it was my birthday, she went out of her way to ensure the day was special. I was welcomed and she introduced me to Richard Kimenyi the General Manager who greeted me warmly as well. The restaurant staff were wonderful (robustly singing happy birthday) and gave me cake!. It was a very special treat and I highly recommend it. Elizabeth in the spa gave me a brilliant pedicure.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the spa and facing the central gardens are great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sarrah D,

We’re delighted reading your review; thank you. We couldn’t be more thrilled or honored that you had such a wonderful experience at the Hotel. We’re so proud of our warm, welcoming and cordial staff, as we know that service is what makes the difference between a good stay and a great one.

It was also our pleasure to celebrate your birthday with you.

Many thanks once again for choosing Fairmont The Norfolk; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another special stay.

Honolulu, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel has everything, absolutely everything. The rooms are beautiful, wonderfully cool, comfortable to the hilt with nice baths and all amenities. Fully stocked fridge contains bottled water ($7.00 US for the small Avia bottle and ironically the larger bottle costs less). Nice large pool good for lap swimming but opens later in the morning around 8 AM. The breakfast buffet has absolutely everyrthing with a full selection of foods and pasteries, nothing lacking. The hotel layout is a little maze-like with a central courtyard and requires some thinking to find your room but plenty of staff around to help you orient yourself to the whole facility. I was turned around a bit each time I tried to return to my room. the pool is somewhat remotely located, not within the central courtyard. I can't imagine any disappoint with this hotel, not even for the most discriminating.

Room Tip: Might ask for a room closer to the front lobby with easier access and less maneuvering within the ma...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Paulyduckduck,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review in regard to your recent stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel. Thank you for your feedback in relation to our beautiful rooms, excellent breakfast and helpful staff.
I apologize that you were not able to access our pool which now opens same time as our gym - 6:00am daily.

Once again, thank you for recommending Fairmont The Norfolk to fellow reviewers and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Richard

Been to Fairmont The Norfolk? Share your experiences!