“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Cavan, Ireland
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband & I stayed here as the first port of call on our honeymoon. I have to say that Nicholas our driver was a much welcome sight in the carpark of the airport to the weary traveler. He had cool water and scented towels to freshen up with which was just what was needed. This is a beautiful hotel with clean, comfortable bedrooms & bathrooms.
We checked in late & checked out early so we didn't get to spend much time in this hotel, but it is a great place from which to explore the city.
Breakfast was also delicious, what a spread, every possible breakfast food was available from sausages to chicken curry!
We hope to return some day soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I spent 2 nights here one at the beginning the other at the end of a safari adventure. I was not disappointed with any aspect of my room or quality of the service. The hostess in the breakfast area has an unpleasant manner when informing guests of the buffet closure.

The service is top notch and the concierge probably one of the best for both style, presentation and effort I have encountered in a long time. A class act. She is a great asset to this product. The front office head receptionist/manager (Ruth?) had a real can do approach and compensated in a big way for the poor incoming reception I received from the tour operator. On the second visit the shower did not work but this was more than made up for by staff allowing me to keep my room until departure. Room 517 is overlooked by a balcony which can see directly into the room and the constant hum of air con from the room next door which was an enjoining room was disconcerting at night. I would avoid this room. 519 which I had on the outward journey was wonderful.

Taku restaurant is a must. it is very expensive but it is still a must. Food, service, quality and style permeates the place and the atmosphere is great. Welcome Sir to the best restaurant in all Kenya said Simon the waiter as he greeted me. His confidence put me at ease and service personal such as him are the hotels greatest asset. The whole facility was warm, charming and relaxed. I enjoyed it.

Just one small negative baggage staff are a little in your face through body language, hanging around etc in pursuit of tips. The senior bell captain was all smiles helpful etc on departure. He got a generous tip. When I had to return 5 minutes later as I left an item behind he showed no interest in helping me locate it. I was glad I met him at the end of my visit rather than the beginning he left a bit of a sour taste. Thus the 4 stars and not the 5. All in all however it was great and highly recommended.

Room Tip: avoid room 517 if possible. It lacks privacy and you are looking unto a roof
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Paul 026,

On behalf of the team here at Fairmont The Norfolk, I want to thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback on your recent stay with us.

All guest feedback is valued and is shared with the team. Please be assured that a warm welcome awaits you should you find yourself visiting Nairobi again in the future.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont The Norfolk.

Kind regards,
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I wrote a review of the Norfolk a few months ago saying that it was one of my favorite hotels in Africa, but that the lack of good internet made it a bad choice. Well... I've been remiss about correcting that review. I was back at the Fairmont in October - a month after they told me that they would redo the system - and now the Norfolk has both ethernet and wifi connections in all the rooms. They were true to their word and the system worked extremely well. The hotel is still by far the best bet for anyone staying near downtown. What's particularly nice - aside from the long tradition of this landmark in East Africa - is that so much of its space is outdoors so that guests can enjoy the marvelous climate while eating, having a drink or walking on the hotel grounds. The refreshing breezes while working out in the gym are also a major plus! I recently stayed in another top rated hotel in Eastlands. I found what I missed most was the exposure to nature as there was no outside area aside from the pool and a very small terrace in the restaurant. I'm happy to going back to recommending The Norfolk very highly - particularly as they recognized their problem and fixed it. One complaint - the internet is expensive, whereas it was free in the other luxury hotel I stayed out so that price should be worked into calculations of the price of the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Bagherailcane,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Fairmont The Norfolk.

We are very pleased that you found our internet & gym facilities to be satisfactory and certainly your observations make us strive harder to maintain and improve our offering.

Once again, many thanks and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here on two separate occasions, once in an older room and another time in a renovated room. What a difference it makes! the older rooms, while much more spacious, are incredibly dilapidated and frankly not worth the inflated price tag. The renovated rooms are more compact but much nicer and more in line with what is expected from a Fairmont hotel of this class. I would return, but only if guaranteed this room type. Location good. Service average. Breakfast serviceable. Common areas nice but nothing particularly special. Rooms tastefully redecorated and bathrooms impressively redone with top-of-the-line fittings, power shower, etc. Restaurants rather pricey for quality of food. All ratings below based on renovated room type. Regular rooms would be getting a 2 from me.

Room Tip: Only accept a renovated room at this hotel, even if it is smaller than the more dated option.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was my first visit to Nairobi, prior to heading out to the Masai Mara and I was a bit nervous about Nairobi after hearing and reading a lot of horror stories however I can say that I felt totally secure and safe in this hotel. We organised an airport transfer and the driver was there to meet us on arrival ( with a cold towel and drinks!) which was a great relief after seeing the chaos of the carpark at the airport!! The hotel is opposite Nairobi University which is located on a relatively quiet street & once inside the hotel you do not hear the traffic or chaos of the outside city. The staff are all pleasant and well trained. We ate purely at the hotel - cocktails, dinner and breakfast - and all were exemplary. I think we may have been in an old room and I would say that for the cost we paid I have stayed in better hotels but it should be noted that from the research all the top level Nairobi hotels are on the pricey side. The bathroom was shower only (no bath) however the amenities provided were good quality (Miller Harris). Internet is not complimentary - so if you don't belong to the Fairmont Presidents club - join before you go otherwise you will have to pay. I felt considering the rates they charge that internet should have been complimentary - at least the 1st hour or 2 at least. The buffet breakfast served on the terrace is amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Milkythemouse,

On behalf of Fairmont The Norfolk team I wish to thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on our hotel. We are very pleased that your stay with us was satisfactory, we will certainly strive to maintain the high standards.

The team and I are grateful for your comments which are invaluable in helping us maintain and improve our services to all our valued guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Fairmont Norfolk is a historic hotel, centrally located with clean and well-appointed rooms. The service is good and the staff are friendly and helpful. The gym, however, needs a little updating. Overall, a fun and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I frequently stay at this hotel, The hotel is architecturally beautiful! The newly renovated rooms are convenient and comfortable, the older rooms a bit less quality. Service is the best I have seen in all of the hotels I've ever been to. I have never asked for anything and not got it ( I even asked for a VGA cable to connect my laptop to the TV screen and they got me one). The receptionists are very pleasant and helpful. A tip here you will probably have someone knocking on your door every couple of hours checking on you or coming to do some kind of service, If you prefer not to be disturbed that often like myself always keep the do not disturb sign on your door because they do knock a lot on your door. The restaurants are quite nice , Room service always gets me a complimentary fruit basket every day. The only thing that could be improved is to include more variety in the TV channels. A big thank you to everyone @ the Fairmont Norfolk, I do love coming there.

Room Tip: Always ask for one of the recently renovated rooms, the ones on the bottom floor of the lord Delmar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business