“nice, safe, friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 126 Hotels in Nairobi
arlington, va
“nice, safe, friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I fyou are looking for a nice, clean, safe, and friendly place to stay in Nairobi, you wont be disappointed with the Norfolk. A historic place and one that you can tell why it's been a staple for so many pre and post safari.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

were there for new year 2010 and had a great time....like a little slice of england in the heart of nairobi.....

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be quiet
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We would have appreciated if the plaçe would had maintained better butneverything you need is there, the food is great, and staff very nice. Super safe spot with police station a block away.

• Stayed December 2011
Whistler, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

As a Fairmont this hotel is fairly average. Having said that, in the context of Nairobi, this is a very high end hotel.
Pool and spa services are good as well. Tatu restaurant is top notch as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

At the end of a safari into the Kenyan Rift Valley I made a wise choice to stay at the Norfolk, a guarantee for a successful conclusion of my trip.
Some of the older 'wazees' still recognized me and the reception was equally alert to my return, giving me the 'Abraham Block' suite, which instantly brought back many memories of the Block family and their ties to the hotel.
The room was perfect, including a terrace overlooking the inner courtyard, and while this particular suite has not bath tub, it has an oversized shower which more than made up for that.
And then the food outlets ... while I never did eat at their signature restaurant 'Tatu' I had two meals at the Cin Cin and was most pleasantly surprised over the various creations on the menu, the food presentation, the taste of it and the service which was a perfect match. A special surprise were the waitresses, dressed in body hugging red dresses, what a change from the days when the 'wazees' served at the Ibis Grill dressed up with dinner jackets and bow ties ... I sure liked the 'new look' better ...
Breakfast too was a revelation ... organic eggs and my Egg Benedict done to perfection as were the poached eggs the following morning. Also available are a cheese board and cold cuts, yogurts, ready made mueslis and a full range selection of yet more, pastries galore and fruits and juices of all varieties.
Staff seem to have giant memories as they appear to greet every guest by name, something which sure makes for brand loyalty.
My experience with The Norfolk goes back into the 70's and I have never been disappointed to this day and it is always a pleasure to be back there ...
Now the Fairmont The Norfolk, for me it will for ever remain just 'The Norfolk' and it does come highly recommended, hospitality at its best.
Thanks to all their phantastic staff who are true hospitality wizards in their own right - they made my stay very memorable, enjoyable and they will for sure see me soon again.

Room Tip: Ask for a duplex suite or else a suite in the main building above the main entrance with a view into...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

This hotel is nice for Africa, but not up to the same standards as 4 or 5 star hotel in the U.S. It was a nice stay, but the room I got was very old and a bit outdated. The bed was a bit hard and not so comfortable and the linens were nothing to write home about. Also the view, mine looked at a wall of an adjoining building and was very dark.

I had a spa treatment and it was very nice, I got a special massage with tea leaves and it was great. I found the spa clean and tidy and very relaxing.

I also used the gym which was also quite nice, good equipment. The pool is great, it is huge and so warm it is like a bath, it was wonderful!

I ate at both restaurants and both were very good.

Room Tip: As for a view of the garden or interior courtyard. Many face the walls of the building next door.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
California Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

I had lots of massages throughout the entire world. I have been to dozens of Spas but there is one massage I will remember for the rest of my life because she came to sell me the service as we were relaxing by the pool with my wife.she gave me the best deep tissue massage ever. Even better than massages I had in Bangkok! I still remember how totally focused she was during the session. After the first treatment I felt like I was reborn-no jokes! she advised me to follow a series of 4-5 sessions but i could only come the day after again since i was traveling back. At the end of the 2sessions I was almost addicted! It is nice for all of us spa goers that therapists like Sally exist out there!I say this because me & my wife are frequent travelers and when we travel we really look for the best spa where we could relax and feel rejuvenated after. Of course, there are a lot of spas we've been that are nice places, nice ambiance, good massage...etc. But what we look for is something that will really touch our souls & heal our tired bodies. . For me it is really is the best massage I've ever had with Sally ...so healing.your spa was so cool,clean the soothing music plus all the staff were friendly and welcoming.....i look forward to coming back soon.thank you.Mr.wise

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont The Norfolk? Share your experiences!