“Great Nairobi hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Nashville, TN
“Great Nairobi hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just got back from Nairobi and stayed a couple of nights here then had a day room on the return trip. You definitely want to ask for a suite on the right side of the hotel, we were in room 133 and it was lovely. Our day room was on the third floor on the left side as you enter the hotel and it wasn't nearly as nice. Only the right side wing has a first floor, the left side starts on the second floor so it was kind of confusing.

The buffet breakfast is out of this world, lunch poolside was. Good but nothing spectacular like breakfast. Never had dinner at the hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a suite, preferably on the first floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel was my first stop on my first trip to Africa. As a single female traveler on this trip, I wanted a hotel that was safe, comfortable, and that looked after my needs while there, and the Nairobi Serena was the perfect choice! My flight from London arrived late at night, and I had requested the hotel arrange an airport pick-up for me -- but I wasn't expecting to be greeted upon de-planing by a gracious young lady from the hotel who led me through an expedited immigration and baggage collection process -- that was above and beyond, and much appreciated on a warm and muggy evening after a long flight! In literally just minutes, we were in the car on the way to the hotel.

I was next impressed by the conscientious security procedures at the hotel: a secure, gated entrance, with guards who check all around and under the vehicle before allowing it to enter, and then an x-ray machine for baggage when you get to the front door. It may sound over-the-top, but for Nairobi it is appropriate, and the bellmen and valet took care of all it, greeting me with big smiles and "Jambo!" before whisking my luggage through security and up to my room while I checked in.

The room itself was spacious and luxurious, with a very comfortable king-sized bed with nice linens and feather pillows, a lovely and well-appointed granite bathroom, excellent wi-fi connection, air conditioning, and a beautiful view. (Also had a large flat-screen tv with many channels, mini-bar, robes, coffee/tea, etc., and good lighting throughout.) I also appreciated the lighted make-up mirror in the bathroom.

The food was also quite good. Breakfast is a very expansive buffet (the largest I've seen!), with about a dozen different types of breads and pastries, probably about 20 different hot dishes, a pancake and waffle service, numerous fruits, juices, cheeses, meats, and everything else you might wish for. They also offered a lovely shot of their "daily detox" concoction -- I tried one each day, and they were all delicious (and, of course, good for you)! The dining room and room service offered an array of all types of dishes -- traditional Kenyan, Asian, Italian, plus steaks, soups, salads, burgers, etc., and almost everything was excellent. (My only complaint was the lamb chops, which were quite tough, so I'd not order those again.)

Service was always friendly, whether it be the housekeeping staff, the concierge, the restaurant staff, the security guards --- they were gracious and professional without exception. The concierge set me up with several private tours, which were top-notch, as well as airport transfers with friendly and helpful drivers.

I liked the Nairobi Serena so much that I altered my itinerary to enjoy its hospitality again a bit later on my trip!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have nice views. Avoid getting a room next to an elevator, as you hear it moving 24/7...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Enjoyed a one night stay after an 18 hour journey from the States just before departing upon a 6 day safari. Nairobi Serena is a very nice hotel that has excellent security, is extremely nice and well maintained, and has a top notch staff that is friendly/helpful. Breakfast is well stocked with fruit, cereals, muffins and eggs. Ate dinner by the pool; had local dish with Tusker beer that was delicious...out of this world. Fitness gym is one of the best I've every seen at any hotel (States, Europe, etc.) with free weights, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and more. Pool was warm, extremely beautiful and fun to swim in. Bedrooms were well kept & had all the amenities one would need...and more. Beds were firm with great pillows. A/c unit was a bit loud; we turned it off and got great sleep. What makes it nice staying is the staff was aggressive, nice and went out of their way to make your stay a nice one. Although very close to downtown, we didn't venture outside given our time constraints with the safari. Pictures online don't do this place justice because its much more beautiful in person. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Nairobi long or short term.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

This was my third visit to this hotel, each time it has only been a one night stay and again I wished I could stay longer. The staff are professional but very friendly. The public areas are attractive and well looked after. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well equipped. The highlight of this visit was the same as the previous two, the Manhadri restaurant. The food is some of the best I have ever eaten, anywhere in the world, sitting on the outside terrace it is hard to believe that you are in the middle of a large busy city. The service is excellent, the wine list is comprehensive and the food is fabulous. Although it is not cheap it is extremely good value. All in all it is a great hotel and I am already looking forward to my next visit

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Croydon, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is our 5th visit to the Serena. It was a joy to see old friends Lawrence & Matthew and to be welcomed back. We stayed 2 nights at the beginning of our safari and half a day at the end prior to getting a midnight flight to Heathrow.
I can't recommend it enough. Comfy rooms, excellent Friday night sea-food buffet and a very good breakfast.
Security has been upped which is no bad thing. Acuna Matata!
We hope to be back in November of this year and we are really looking forward to it. .

Room Tip: All the ones we've stayed in have been perfect.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Fordyce, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Nairobi Serena in advance of a 12 day African safari and returned at the conclusion of the tour to inhabit a day room in advance of our international departure.

When I rate this a four star property, I am comparing it to other four star hotels I've visited in North America and Great Britain. Certainly, when compared to other hotels in East Africa, it would have to be at or near the very top.

First, security is extremely tight. Vehicles are swept for bombs, luggage is screened and guests pass through metal detectors. While this may be overkill (?), it does lend one a sense of security while on premises. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. It is apparently the location of choice for government and upper class Nairobi citizens to frequent for lunch and cocktails.

The pool area is very nice and the food is perfectly acceptable. The rooms are somewhat small, but clean and comfortable. It was the only hotel of six that we visited that had air conditioning. Wi-Fi was free and fast.

I can't imagine you would find a nicer, safer accommodation should you be looking for a room in Nairobi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Came here after going to South Sudan and found this to be beautiful. Last time I was here was about 10 years ago and surprised to find it still in good shape. Place is worth the price and service in Kenya is always great...

Surprised to find it as good as it is! Good place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!