“Perfect for our stopovers.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

Save Saved
You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #5 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Perfect for our stopovers.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We use Nairobi Serena for a rest after a long flight out from Heathrow. It is perfect for our purposes with all the facilities you would want and a very helpful and friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed here in October 2011 after flying in from the UK andbefore we went on safari. We stayed three nights in total - 2 before the safari and one after. The hotel is a good 5 star hotel - the food is very good although expensive - likewise drinks were very expensive. The staff are professional and attentive. The standard of the rroms were very good - the hotel were aware that we were celebrating an annivesary and left us flowers and cava in the room - a nice touch!
The swimming pool was a nice place to relax - however the pool was looking a little tired. (I believe that they have since refurbished the area).
Our last night after safari - we were given a suite of rooms - whichwere fantastic - but we did no have the time to enjoy them, having t leave early the next day. There was wifi in most areas of the hotel and the security around the grounds was excellent - even a security guard on each floor. Would I stay again - yes. We stayed at this hotel with kuoni - and the transfers to and from the airprt were excellent.
Enjoyed the wildlife around the grounds - good for photography!

Room Tip: Arrange to pay your bill the night before you leave - its less hassle and we noticed several queues...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

fresh food buh rather ageing furniture throughout the hotel,polite staff but for a hotel of its class it couln not offer tree wi-fi and even when i paid 4 it it was still very slow and unresponsive.

Room Tip: top floors offer a very good view of nairobi city.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

This morning, february the 5th. 2012 we left the Nairobi Serena Hotel early, to catch our flight back to Europe.
We are frequent visitors of the Serena Hotels, the Nairobi Serena Hotel is our favourite in town. However the check-in and out policy leads to confusion for undefined reasons on every stay.
Because I am familiar with this I try to work the system in such a way, it can’t go wrong, allthough…
This is what I do;
1. Via telephone reservations I make my booking.
2. Then I confirm the rate, dates and reservation number via email correspondence.
3. On arrival I produce my email correspondence at the reception, pay cash for the room, ask a receipt.

When I leave the hotel, the only thing left to pay are the extra’s; drinks and restaurant bills wich I signed for.

Now……. Life at the cashier is not as simple. Many many peolple have been complaining about this, for your reference check : www.tripadvisor.com . On this website your cashiers are not yet put on the most wanted list but they are working hard to get there. The lengthy procedure, the lost and confused faces of the employees gaping at their computer screens as if the good Lord has set water on fire seem to have lost contact with earth.
Here we go……. “”OK bwana I have allready paid for my stay, look at my receipt!”” Why do you want me to pay for the room again? The only thing I need to pay are my extra’s. How difficult can it be???
Please skip these amounts.. Or the discussion between the breakfast inclusive rate or the exclusive one. Obviously a guest is not going to pay for a b reakfast inclusive rate when the plain leaves at 7.30 in the morning from JKIA and one has to report at the airport check in counter at 6 AM, breakfast is not even served at that time! How difficult is a cashiers life to understand this?

These are is just some examples of cash hassslement at Nairobi Serena. Me and many other frequent visitors are aware of taking at least 30 minutes to settle accounts. You should really do something about this! It can’t be that difficult!

Best regards,

Doeke Hekstra

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Safe, clean hotel in Nairobi where they try hard to give you superb service. The shower in the room was fabulous, and the air conditioning worked flawlessly. My only problem was that I could not find a way to turn off some of the lights except from the room master switch, which unfortunately turned off everything else also; consequently, I could not go to the bathroom during the night without putting the lights on in the whole room and waking up my spouse! The breakfast buffet is extensive and very diverse, nicely laid out; breakfast tables available on a nice outside terrace. The main issue there was the abundance of bees circling around you and your platters; I had to return my tea because a bee was drowning in it; surely they can buy a couple of zappers to get rid of the bugs, no? Finally, I was surprised to be told that check out time was 10am! I have not paid the bill yet, so I don't know how that experience will be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The only thing that I could be negative about in the Serena is that any man on his own in the bar most definatelly will be preopositioned by "ladies of the night" Best tell the barman immediately to piut the word out that this kind of offer would be unacceptable ,unless of course you like the idea some do after all AIDS is just a "fairy story" is it not !!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, the first night on our arrival in Kenya and the second night after our safari holiday. We couldn't fault anything, the service, ambiance, food, facilities and staff were excellent. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in Nairobi

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!