“Good overnight hotel in Nairobi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good overnight hotel in Nairobi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Safe, clean hotel in Nairobi where they try hard to give you superb service. The shower in the room was fabulous, and the air conditioning worked flawlessly. My only problem was that I could not find a way to turn off some of the lights except from the room master switch, which unfortunately turned off everything else also; consequently, I could not go to the bathroom during the night without putting the lights on in the whole room and waking up my spouse! The breakfast buffet is extensive and very diverse, nicely laid out; breakfast tables available on a nice outside terrace. The main issue there was the abundance of bees circling around you and your platters; I had to return my tea because a bee was drowning in it; surely they can buy a couple of zappers to get rid of the bugs, no? Finally, I was surprised to be told that check out time was 10am! I have not paid the bill yet, so I don't know how that experience will be.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

The only thing that I could be negative about in the Serena is that any man on his own in the bar most definatelly will be preopositioned by "ladies of the night" Best tell the barman immediately to piut the word out that this kind of offer would be unacceptable ,unless of course you like the idea some do after all AIDS is just a "fairy story" is it not !!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, the first night on our arrival in Kenya and the second night after our safari holiday. We couldn't fault anything, the service, ambiance, food, facilities and staff were excellent. We had a wonderful stay at this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel in Nairobi

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Rossendale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We atayd in the Serena for 1 night before travelling to the Masai Mara the next day. The hotel was perfect for our needs. The suite we had was spotless and spacious, the bathroom huge. All the staff were very effeicent and friendly. We had drinks in the bar before dinner which was lovely apart from the 3 "ladies" obviously plying there trade sat at the bar. I found this very offputting to be honest and out of place in a hotel of this class.
Both dinner and breakfast were excellent.
The pool is being refurbished but we wouldn't have used it anyway with arriving late afternoon and setting off for Wilson airport first thung in the morning.
Nairobi airport is horrible BTW and the only thing I have to say abut the roads and traffic in the city is SCARY!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I see that someone has given this hotel an average rating because the pool wasn't open.
I think this is slightly unfair as it ignores the fact that the staff, the rooms, the bar, the restaurant and the breaksfast are just superb.
I know review on TripAdvisor are based on personal experience but I can honestly say that I didn't experience anything at this hotel that was merely average.
The only slightly offputting thing is the security check you have to go through to get into the car park and the hotel itself.
The flipside is that I suppose you are relatively safe. I have only been to Nairobi for one night but I'm certain that if I go again, I will stay at the Serena

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed her for 1 night at the end of our safari before flying back to the UK.

We booked this hotel because it was recommended as somewhere with a nice pool area where we could relax and spend the afternoon before our long journey the following day.

Unfortunately neither our Tour Operator (Virgin) nor the hotel informed us prior to arrival that the swimming pool would not be available during our stay (and was infact a building site and had been for a while!!). If they had of done we would have chosen a different hotel as this was our main reason for staying there.

All other facilities that we used were as we expected but due to the lack of a pool we have only given the hotel an Average rating

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at the Serena for only a few hours as we were returning from safari (flights typically arrive from "the bush" in the morning) and waiting for our evening flight back to the states.

The hotel is well situated, immaculately clean and quiet. The room was very nice with excellent water pressure. I would have enjoyed staying longer.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!