“Perffect Hideaway in the City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Vancouver, Canada
“Perffect Hideaway in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011 via mobile

Great hotel to stay in if you are in Nairobi, Kenya. Away from the Chaos of the City but only a few miniutes to the centre. One of the best hotel Gyms and the trainers are waiting to help you out. Free fresh Mango, Passion and Carrot juice to enjoy as you swim in the gorgeous outdoor pool after your work out

• Stayed November 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have been traveling to Nairobi for a while now and I often stay at the Nairobi Serena. For me, it is a bit of home away from home. The experience really begins when you get out of the car. After suffering through Nairobi traffic to get to the hotel, a warm "Jambo" and "Karibu" from the doorman is the balm that soothes. Check-in is always a breeze and finally getting up to my room is pure joy. The rooms are fine -- not spectacularly big, but functional. The hotel has recently upgraded all of the rooms with king size beds and free internet -- of which the latter is a "must" for business trips.

I have been hearing that there are some issues with service of late. However, I have not experienced them. I would admit that sometimes getting a cold Tusker takes a little longer than I would like, but that probably has more to do with my desire for a "cold one" than the real time it takes for it to arrive.

There are two restaurants at this Serena but I only eat at the main restaurant. Here I can tell you that the high-end venue, upstairs, is a bit of a "stuffed shirt" and they do take a long time to get you your meal. My solution -- don't eat there. I also like to sit by the pool and have lunch or dinner -- very nice.

All in all: I love this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Nairobi has become a hectic, traffic congested city...a beehive of acivity that is Kenya.
Visiting Serena Hotel, nestled in Downtown Nairobi, was a absolute refuge and restored me.
I enjoyed the gardens from inside and while sitting outside for coffee. What tranquility!
Credit the Aga Khan's vision of what a Hotel should offer their valued guests. Bang on!
Thank You.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the bottled water to robes and slippers and a bouquet of fresh roses, this was the cat's pajamas! It comes just when you need pampering after a long international flight. The teas and coffee and flash hot pot were wonderful and the staff as gracious as you would expect in any 5 star resort. They had a wonderful storage facility where I put my things while I went on safari which was easily retrieved upon my return a week later.
The only down side, I saw that my credit card got charged from printing my boarding pass in their internet room even though I paid for it cash on the spot.

Room Tip: Don't face the back as there was a loud wedding and hard to nap.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We spent 2 nights in this hotel and found the accomodation and the majority of the serviceto be excellent. Rooms were comfortable and spacious exactly what you would expect from a Serena chain hotel. The only let down was the appalingly slow service in the restaurants, food at the pool bar took over half an hour to appear the main meal in the restaurant was well over an hour. Shame because evrything else was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at the Nairobi Serena for five nights in June 2011. It was a delightful stay. The staff - on reception, in the restaurants, the business centre and the meeting rooms were all as helpful and attentive as they could be and nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is well located for the centre of Nairobi and the Airport and the reception area is beautifully decorated with a wonderfully welcoming ambiance. The restaurants, lounge and bar areas are spacious and the food and drink appetising and well priced.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I’ve had a read through other people’s opinions of the Serena, and while I can’t say that I left any money in the safe, I would say the hotel was good.
I used the hotel twice while waiting for flights and would say that the standard of the hotel is superb. Checking in was easy and our bags were taken straight to our room for us. I ate room service on both nights which offered a good selection and was properly cooked. Also, I would say that the shower ranks in the top ten of hotels that I’ve stayed at, the bath was filling up quicker than it would drain the pressure was that good.
Breakfast was amazing, such a variety and a huge selection I’m glad they didn’t weigh me on the flight along with the bags ;-)
Granted I wasn’t there for long on both occasions, but I found the hotel to be in sparkling condition with no problems at all, and I would definitely stay there again if I was in Nairobi.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!