“Indulgence when you need it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

Save Saved
You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Indulgence when you need it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the bottled water to robes and slippers and a bouquet of fresh roses, this was the cat's pajamas! It comes just when you need pampering after a long international flight. The teas and coffee and flash hot pot were wonderful and the staff as gracious as you would expect in any 5 star resort. They had a wonderful storage facility where I put my things while I went on safari which was easily retrieved upon my return a week later.
The only down side, I saw that my credit card got charged from printing my boarding pass in their internet room even though I paid for it cash on the spot.

Room Tip: Don't face the back as there was a loud wedding and hard to nap.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We spent 2 nights in this hotel and found the accomodation and the majority of the serviceto be excellent. Rooms were comfortable and spacious exactly what you would expect from a Serena chain hotel. The only let down was the appalingly slow service in the restaurants, food at the pool bar took over half an hour to appear the main meal in the restaurant was well over an hour. Shame because evrything else was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at the Nairobi Serena for five nights in June 2011. It was a delightful stay. The staff - on reception, in the restaurants, the business centre and the meeting rooms were all as helpful and attentive as they could be and nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel is well located for the centre of Nairobi and the Airport and the reception area is beautifully decorated with a wonderfully welcoming ambiance. The restaurants, lounge and bar areas are spacious and the food and drink appetising and well priced.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I’ve had a read through other people’s opinions of the Serena, and while I can’t say that I left any money in the safe, I would say the hotel was good.
I used the hotel twice while waiting for flights and would say that the standard of the hotel is superb. Checking in was easy and our bags were taken straight to our room for us. I ate room service on both nights which offered a good selection and was properly cooked. Also, I would say that the shower ranks in the top ten of hotels that I’ve stayed at, the bath was filling up quicker than it would drain the pressure was that good.
Breakfast was amazing, such a variety and a huge selection I’m glad they didn’t weigh me on the flight along with the bags ;-)
Granted I wasn’t there for long on both occasions, but I found the hotel to be in sparkling condition with no problems at all, and I would definitely stay there again if I was in Nairobi.

BURNHAM, SLOUGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

On our way to our safari expedition at Governor’s camp in the Masai Mara in Kenya, Kuoni our travel agents advised that we should stay one night in Nairobi to rest prior to our journey onwards. They booked the Nairobi Serena Hotel. I was very dubious and skeptical about what the hotel in Kenya (a third world country) would be like. Questions in my mind were, would the water be safe? Is there bottled water? Would the rooms and bathrooms be clean? Would the sheets be clean to the level we are used to in five star hotels in the West? Boy was I a fool.

We got to the hotel by about 8 am having come off a very tiring 9 hour flight from Heathrow to Nairobi. A minibus from the “Private Safaris” – part of Kuoni. picked us up and took us to the hotel. As we were there early, we were taken to the lounge in the hotel by the Kuoni rep who very quickly arranged for us to be taken to our rooms as soon as they were made ready. During our wait for the rooms, my wife and I decided to search for breakfast which was taking place in the Maghreb Restaurant by the pool side. Breakfast was a very nice affair, with fruit, fresh pancakes made by a chef in front of you, eggs and anything else you would expect. Breakfast cost about £15.00 each as we hadn’t yet checked in and stayed a night. By the time we had eaten our fill we were told our rooms were ready and we went straight up, not forgetting to tip the porter who took our luggage.

The room was amazing, exceptionally clean. The bed was huge and very comfortable and we had a beautiful marble bathroom with Penhaligon toiletries. Waking up refreshed, my wife and decided to try out the Serena Maisha Spa which in my opinion was excellent, from the cold sugary tea at the start to the excellent 90 minute full body massage I received from Esther was much better than any I have received all over the world. During the evening my wife and I chose to dine in the fine dining restaurant at the hotel called the Mandhari restaurant. It was indeed a lavish affair. Sitting here you would never ever know your were in the middle of a third world country. The restaurant’s main head chef is celebrity chef Edouard Loubet and he has two Michelin stars. The food was excellent and being muslims we were grateful to learn that all meat served in the hotel is halal.

All in all our stay was so good we decided to stay an extra two nights at the end of our safari and beach trip. So we returned! This time another excellent room, an upgrade to an executive room which was bigger and had fresh fruit in the room also. We again returned to the Spa and also tried out the food at the pool bar, my chicken pie was lovely. By the pool side there is also a dessert café which is not well advertised but a must to try!!

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I was treated like a member of the family and in a large hotel, that is what I called World Class Service! Well Done Serena Nairobi!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and dont be scared Kenyans love upfront funny people, just like they are!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have stayed here for 3 days, and it was exactly the type of place that allowed me to do business effectively, as well as relax. Food was very good, and service was excellent. My definition of excellent service includes the experience that people love to serve you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Was only at the hotel for 12 hours (after flying in late and heading for safari in the early morning). Very nice modern rooms. Free internet and the TV channels were international with alot of variety. The breakfast buffet was delicious

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!