“Very comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Serena Hotel

Save Saved
You added Nairobi Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenyatta Avenue/Processional Way | P.O. Box 46302, Nairobi GPO, Kenya   |
Ranked #4 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Bogota, Colombia
“Very comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

the Serena in Nairobi is a very comfortable, modern 5 Star Hotel. It has all the amenities that one usually looks for in a 5 Star property.

The staff however have a superior air about them which takes the warmth out of service.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the Park have good views.
  • Stayed March 2011

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We arrived and were told that the hotel had overbooked and did not have a room for us, so we had to use a room on a floor that had been booked out on the following night for some kind of convention, which meant we couldn't unpack our things as we were having to move immediately in the morning when another room was avaialble.
I was not very happy as I had booked this hotel in June & I was less happy when talking to fellow guests when I was told that they had been given a free upgrade to a suite!
However, we found the hotel to be suitable for our two night stay. We were going on a 6 day safari but had come a day early so that we could visit the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage & Karen Blixen Giraffe Centre.....this was a most spectacular excursion and I would most definately recommend it.
We spent an afternnon by the pool, a waiter will bring drinks if you manage to catch his/her eye but they do not ask you if you would like any, or at least they didn't ask us. However, when we went for a meal at the poolside bar later in the day, they tried to charge us for drinks that somebody else had had whilst sitting around the pool. We explained that we had not had the drinks and then were interrogated and made to feel like we were telling lies......eventually they realised their mistake and apologised but the incident had caused us embarrassment in front of other guests. I do not understand why they don't ask for a signature when serving the drinks, surely this would avoid situations like this.
To summarise, we found the hotel to be clean and the rooms were perfectly adequate for a 2 night stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Unlike so many hotels where you feel like you could be anywhere in the world, the Serena feels like Africa but in an unpretentious, non-touristy way. It is THE hotel for business networking but also has a lovely pool, lush, tropical gardens and lovely eating and drinking space by the pool. Staff are incredibly friendly and now all know my name, I stay there so often. It is becoming my second home in Africa. They just need to speed up the service in the restaurants but otherwise, a very charming, warm, welcoming, comfortable place that makes you feel like you are in Africa.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Had a week of business in Nairobi and the hotel exceeded all expectations. Friendly efficient staff and fantastic rooms,complimented by two great restaurants make for a fantastic stay.

I'd come here again any day.

• Stayed February 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Concerned to see other reviews about thefts from safe. We stayed overnight here after a late night flight. We were upgraded to a very smart suite (the room they took us to originally wasn't ready for us). Breakfast was very good.
Seemed to be very security conscious with checks on vehicles on arrival and security patrolling the floors.
Service was good and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I'm really disappointed to say that what started out as a real treat turned into a very unhappy situation. We stayed in the Serena for just one night and money was stolen out of the safe in our room, one of those ones where you put your own pin in. I now see that sadly other travellers have had the same experience. The staff seemed helpful at first but then I realised they did not look even remotely surprised. Later they admitted they had a machine on the premises that could read the last 400 entries typed into the safe!

I live in Kenya and unfortunately corruption is very common, including amongst security staff. What normally happens is they blame the person who cleans the room, even though the cleaner clearly would not have the means to break into a locked safe, which more senior staff do. If you are already booked into this hotel just be very careful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Loughton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

In the interests of giving a fair review, I will start with the positives.

The rooms are nicely laid out, the bathrooms are extremely pleasant, with extremely good showers, and breakfast was a real treat - a wider selection you could not hope for. The bed was comfortable.

Unfortunately all of these positives were put into the shade due to a theft from my room that I was sharing with my fiance. We went out for about 6 hours, having been in the hotel for a few hours after our flight. We left cameras, MP4 players, and our money in the safe in the room. Having been the victims of a burglary in the UK weeks earlier, we were extra careful to ensure that the safe was locked.

We came back to the room to find the safe wide open. Everything seemed to be there, until we counted the cash in our wallets. We each had $200 US prior to going out, and now we each had $160. Someone clearly hoping we would not miss a slice of the money.

We reported this to the 'security' team at the hotel. Not overly interested, not overly surprised either. They informed us that the electronic safe had not been locked when we left the room (they interrogated it apparently), this was not true. We could not prove we locked it obviously, so we continued on the tack that regardless, the money had been taken from our room by a member of staff. They performed an 'investigation', and said that they could not prove it was a member of their staff (as if the person concerned would leave their prints all over the safe?!), and so they were not liable. The inherent implication would be that the story was made up by us. We called the police, and they were more helpful, but it seems they could not see beyond the fact that the safe was 'unlocked' when we left the room.

We would have left happier if the hotel had agreed the money was taken, and that they would refund what (to them) would be a drop in the ocean. They could then have performed their internal investigation to nab the culprit, but I would have left in the same financial situation I arrived in. Thefts happen, but what prompted this review was what followed.

It is hard to say where the fault lies here, but we know that the safe was locked, and I am sure that only a handful of people at a senior level in the hotel could over-ride the lock system (for guests who forgot their password for example). This is worrying, and may provide some indication as to why our complaint was dealt with so poorly by management. Unfortunately given my certainty that the safe was left locked, this reflects my view of what happened.

So, all in all, a nice hotel on the face of it, but if you are going to stay, keep your belongings with you at all times. In future I know I will only use a safe at hotel if it is at the reception, and I can get a receipt for everything I put in there - I do not trust those provided in rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Nairobi Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!