“Good hotel, great staff, needs makeover” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #37 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Hamburg, Germany
“Good hotel, great staff, needs makeover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Some of the comments about the Nairobi Hilton are a little unfair. I stay there regularly and while it can be grossly overpriced, good management and excellent staff make up for an ugly and dated building. Some of the rooms are really nice (if rather threadbare), I've had none of the problems other guests describe, it has generally good vibes, the pool area feels particularly private and relaxing (unlike the InterContinental) and its buffets are amongst the best in Nairobi. It also has a nice little coffee shop and the executive lounge is OK too. It's true that at night - and even by day - the area is unsafe but that's unfortunately true anywhere in downtown Nairobi. There are newer, glossier hotels there but the Hilton is well-managed and unfailingly works. However I do have my doubts about security. There is a metal detector at the entrance through which guests and visitors are supposed to pass but this seems to be a rather random process. Because the hotel appears to be a symbol of America (though in fact it isn't) there's a risk of terrorism plus the endemic Kenyan risk of violent crime. There have already been incidents, or so I understand from owners of shops adjoining the hotel. So I wish the lobby area was a little better protected, though I do realise that a hotel can't be an army encampment.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
We have noted your positive comments with delight and highly appreciate your time taken to share your valuable feedback with us. It will be my pleasure to personally share your comments with our team members. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your comments about our security levels at the main entrance have been shared and discussed immediately with our Chief Security Officer to ensure that our security standards remain on highest levels. Please rest assured that we have reinforced our security efforts in and around the hotel and that security of our guests and team members remains our top priority.

Once more, let me convey my sincere thanks to you for you positive and constructive feedback, which will ensure to constantly improve our services.

We all look very much forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance for you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I think this property has seen better days. The room, furniture and furnishings are all outdated. Even if the room may be properly cleaned, I felt like I'm in a dingy place and not a 5 or 4-star hotel.

Even the food leaves much to be desired. On my second night, I ordered Carbonara which came after 20 mins or so. It looked ok but when I was about to put a forkful in my mouth, I was suddenly turned off by a nasty smell coming from the food I was about to eat and realized that it was the ham (pork). I called room service to take it away since I could not eat it and was offered a replacement of anything on the menu. I didn't want the same experience so stayed off their meat offerings and instead ordered fish and chips. However, by the time my food arrived, I have already lost my appetite and for almost 5 days consumed only salads for dinner.

Internet service is just as terrible. It is probably the slowest and disconnects every half hour. There was also a couple of power fluctuations while our conference was running. A guest who was staying at the hotel was complaining that the lift plummeted a few floors down while the power outage occurred and appeared really scared.

It is a shame that the hotel is in such bad condition because some of the hotel staff were really outstanding and helpful like Ogagi the security assigned to assist us at the conference. I think to be fair, security is one of the good points of this property and it's loyal staff who has to face the complaints of guests like myself on a daily basis.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your previous stay at the Hilton Nairobi.

We have noted your comment on the quality of our room's furnishings, which clearly indicates that we did not meet your expectations. However we appreciate your feedback and please note that a master plan is underway to fully renovate our hotel.

With reference to the food that was served to you kindly receive our profound apologies and please be informed that I have personally taken up the issue with the Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef for corrective measures to ensure that this does not re-occur in the future.

We have also noted your remarks on internet speed and regret that this did not meet with your expectations. We have recently installed the high speed internet but this still does not match the speed in other parts of the world. Unfortunately we mainly rely on a service provider and we experience slow service especially at peak times of the day.

Regarding power failure during your stay, please note that we regret the circumstances that we had to experience a technical problem with the power transformation cables of the Kenya Power & Lighting Company which affected our premises and also caused technical problems on the lifts. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your positive comments regarding the hospitality of our security personnel which we have shared with them.

Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

This hotel is quite an old building, we know it all, it dates from 1960s. But old buildings not necessarily have to come with run-down interiors. Simply I do not understand how a brand like Hilton can allow their properties to go out of fashion is such a manner. You really have the feeling that nothing has been changed since those eatly years :)

Rooms are quite small, furniture is old, tiles on the wall also look like in the middle age, bathroon ammenities are not welcoming you for a shower..

The "Traveller restaurant" offers a very bad value for money, not a good option for dinner.
The "Jockey pub" instead is a good place to watch a game or two.

The pool closes at 6pm, quite nonsense, considering that most likely at least 50% of the guests are business travellers who don;t even get back by that time.

The gym is quite OK.

The overall hotel experience is saved by the stuff, they were the only ones who lived up to the expectations of the Hilton brand, or even exceeded it sometimes.

Whether the location of the hotel is good or bad depends on what you need to do in town. Traffic can be horrible, a 5km drive can take you easily one hour, so check your distances before you book.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We have noted your comment regarding the condition of the room and furnishings. Kindly note that a master plan preparation is underway to fully renovate our hotel. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Regarding the value for money in travelers restaurant and pool restaurant closing hours, please note that we appreciate your remarks and it will go along way to improve our service delivery to all our guests. Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience at the Jockey Pub, Gym, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy Festive season.

Pisa, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Very useful and kind staff, particularly at the front desk, but the place really needs a urgent room makeover + a shower that works properly + bathroom that does not turn into a sauna at every shower + a decent hair drier + better toiletries + remote controls that actually work + an ironing board that does not fall apart. Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment for quality and variety compared to other hotels in Nairobi (Intercontinental; Serena etc.) and overpriced @ 1 900 Ksh! (mine was included in the price of the room, but the full price is just too high). Telephone charges - let alone the 20 USD per day for internet use - are just ridiculous! Better get a SIM card a call from your mobile. Overall, not a 4* and not in line with Hilton standards I am afraid.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy Festive season

Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Totally insulting prices, this hotel is 3 star rather than 5, pricing is stupendous. the hotel is very well located but the pricing is to much to cope with . Teh other "5" star hotels in Nairobi of course have the same attitude but there is no reason to accept this, the prices are base don greed nothing else. The rooms are not to good and the service is like in so many other hotels here, not good. Don't stay here if you can avoid it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment in regard to the condition of our rooms and our services, therefore we would like to convey our sincere apologies, Please rest assured that your feedback is shared with all departments concerned and is thoroughly investigated and worked on. Though we were not able to deliver what you expected, please note we appreciate your feedback as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I arrived early and stayed at a different cheaper hotel, and then moved to the Hilton to stay with a friend that had booked the Hilton for two of us. The rooms we average and clean, but a burnt out light in the room, caused my to use my little pocket flashlight to search for my clothes and materials for the morning. "Stay at the Hilton, Nairobi, but bring a flashlight" The hotel sent someone who was great, at it improved, but was not bright enough. By the last night I was pretty good at packing in the dark. The pool and restaurant and other things are nice and professional. Safety is fine, and there were no problems. I met some other very interesting guests doing business and working in Nairobi.

My major concern was the value, as the first night I stayed in a much cheaper hotel and received breakfast, and Free WiFi. After constant discussions with the hotel, they were willing to upgrade me to executive for another $30+ USD. Which after spending $1000+ for the four nights seemed ludicrous. I understand there internet is sourced out so it is not them providing the service, but the daily charge was around $20+. It is way to expensive considering I was getting it free the first night and the Safari Park Hotel was selling it for $10 per day (still too much). Breakfast at the Hilton was also part of the Executive Package, and an extra.

Location: You are downtown and there are some local clubs you can go to. But they are local. Most Hilton people were going to somewhere called the Westlands for their night out. Not the local places. In the evening things are closed, so you are pretty much stuck in the hotel without internet. and a small TV. The pool closes at 6 so an evening swill is out, but the gym stays open later. The local Hilton Jockey Tavern is not that interesting.during the weekdays I stayed.

Services: Money exchange is better in the bank that is in the hotel, the front desk was significantly worse. But friends at the same conference got a great rate the Stanley hotel two blocks down the street. They also got free WiFi. The air conditioning was normal, but in the morning it was cooler outside the room when I left, but comfortable during the day. Not really an issue, unless you like it above average cold.

The room: Fine, nothing special, not much space to work with two people in the room, someone would have to work on the bed if there were two people working in the evening or move to a location outside the room, There was a large safe, and the bathroom toiletries were above average. Towels, and bed were excellent, and view from the room was fine.

Overall: If we did not have non refundable deposit, I would have left to return to the first hotel I was at, or gone to the Stanley if there was space. There was nothing special in terms of being in Africa and staying at the Hilton. If you do not need to be downtown the Safari Park Hotel had many more African Cultural events including African dance, Local music, and food, included in the price (I experienced), while the Stanley, located downtown, had free WIFi and better money exchange (I heard). The Khweza, just 5-10 minutes from downtown was much cheaper, offered more interesting rooms, WiFi, and breakfast with a view of downtown. Including the 300 shilling cost it still would have been a significant better value that the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us in such detail. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment in regard to a burnt bulb that was replaced and our air conditioning and kindly apologize for the inconvenience caused. Of course your comment was immediately shared with our Chief Engineer to ensure that all bulbs replaced in guest rooms are standard.

We also have noted your comment regarding internet charges and would like to advise that our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge. Likewise, for our Hilton HHonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Regarding money exchange, please note that exchanges will always be at a lower cost at any bank as we have to exchange our currencies ourselves. However we highly appreciate your feedback and it will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Nairobi traffic is gridlock at best. It took us 3 hours to travel the 12 miles from the airport to the Hilton. According to the shuttle driver this traffic is common and to be expected. Once we arrived they told us they were overbooked so our pre-paid Junior
Queen Suite was not available so would we accept a Standard Room with free dinner? What a joke. Best Advice - stay as close to the airport as possible for flight connections and to preserve your sanity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment regarding heavy traffic experiences on arrival and we sincerely would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. Since we are located in the center of Nairobi and as like any other big city, we suffer from traffic jams during peak hours. Unfortunately especially in the morning and early evening hours transportation becomes challenging.

We have also noted your comment that upon check-in that we were over booked and therefore your prepaid junior queen suite was not available. We sincerely apologize as this should never have been the case and rest assured that your experience was shared with all departments involved immediately in order to prevent a reoccurrence of such situations again.

Though your experience was not up to your expectations, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Email: Heidi.KleineMoeller@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!