“Disappointing Rooms- This is a Hilton?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #39 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Vancouver, B.C.
“Disappointing Rooms- This is a Hilton?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

The good points: the common areas are attractive, especially the dining and pool areas. The food was quite good, particularly the room service, although the prices (especially the buffet) are more in line with North American or European rates. The business centre had plenty of computers with fairly reasonable high speed service (although again, costly - approx $10 /half hour).
The bad points: My room was incredibly small and had paper-thin walls (I spent the evening listening to the TV programme in the room next door). The decor and bedding was well worn. I booked the room through a travel agent and could have gotten a better deal online, but for the price I paid I should have been in an executive suite (although I'd still bet the price wouldn't be worth it).

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
taranto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

I stayed at hilton nairobi two times, as it was the only opportunity i had in nairobi (others were fully booked). First of all the hotel doesn't deserve neither 5stars nor the hilton brand because it is in a desperate need of refurbishment and it is impossible to not recognize that nothing was done in this direction for many many years. the staff is totally and absolutely unelpful, they have no experience and are totally uninterested in solve the problems of the guests. the first time i arrived quite late, about 11 p.m. and i booked a deluxe plus room. i had to wait more than two hours to get my room and we did three attempts (entering in rooms were already were sleeping peoples) to find a room for me. moreover they gave me the smaller de luxe room (after trying to give me a disgusting room by the pool). the second time i had the room i booked in few minutes, but after some hours i received a comunication by the reception who told me that my credit card was blocked. they didn't want to call again the bank (as they don't have the on line POS for amex) or try again and didn't let me use internet to check my on line account. so i had to go outside, make an international phone call to amex and find an internet point to check my account. EVERYTHING WAS ok!!! so i came back to the hotel, i told this, they tried again and the card worked...
moreover both the times the bed was dirty and i had to ask many times to obtain new linens. i repeat: everything i asked (not strange things) i didn't receive any help by the staff, who also tried to charge me two dinners and a breakfast i didn't had. the health club and the gym are good.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

We have been quite please during our recent stay in Nairobi...Would like to recommend to other business travelers as well..

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2007

I stayed at the Hilton Nairobi en route to a safari and both nights were great. They have security guards outside on the premise and taxi service. The gym offers a sauna, steam room, indoor heated pool and an outdoor pool, and gym classes in the morning. There's also internet available to use at a fee. Overall this is a great, safe, clean hotel with many restaurants inside. I would definitely stay again.

• Liked — safety, cleanliness, facilities
  • Disliked — front desk check in process is slow, location of hotel is deserted at night
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed in this hotel one night enroute to go on a Seregenti safari. The Hilton Nairobi is an experience that will be hard to forget - it is the most disgusting hotel I've ever stayed in.

It is true the lobby and restaurants look nice and updated, but do not let that fool you. We arrived late in the night and quickly went to sleep. During the night I used one of the extra blankets for warmth. In the morning light I awoke to see the blanket had stains that was unmistakably blood stains. I was so repulsed. Immediately I took the blanket downstairs to show the manager and all she did was give me $50 off my rate. Mind you, this hotel is not cheap. The manager also offered me a coupon for the restaurant. I felt so repulsed that the thought of eating there made me nauseous. If their rooms are not clean, the rest of the hotel may not be either.

Aside from this experience, the rooms are old and unimpressive for the price.

Stayed May 2006
Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

We stayed at this hotel just before our flight back to home for one night. Everything was perfect !!! The room (at the 10th floor) was clean, quiet and had everything we needed. The food was very very good with an excellent buffet and so many choices... The service was incredible, the pool amazing and the security excellent !

Hilton Nairobi is certainly one I would stay at again if I go back in Nairobi ! It's definitely a 5 stars hotel !!!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!