“Owesome Hotel to stay at.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Plano, Texas
“Owesome Hotel to stay at.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Beautiful hotel that is in the center of Nairobi city and nice place to meet people.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 10, 2010
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest’s expectations.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely,

Heidi Kleine-Moeller
Director of Operations

593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Hotel is centrally located and a good base to explore the city centre. Room and furnishings are rather old and dated - though comfortable enough. Staff were helpful, but recommended taking taxis everywhere - which is not necessary unless late at night. Security was high around the hotel.
Make sure to cheek out the Jeep bar around the corner, and Ranaldo's for a real local's experience. Canivore restaurant is a tourist trap.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

We have noted your comment on the quality of our rooms and furnishings. Please note that a master plan is underway to fully renovate our hotel. We have also noted your concern that our staff recommended taxis everywhere and tight security around the hotel. Please note that security is of paramount priority to all our guests and team members. We appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience.
Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely,

Heidi Kleine-Moeller
Director of Operations
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

I was booked at the Hilton by my clients whose office was walking distance, just across the street. Being right in the centre of Nairobi was a major advantage for the Hilton.
I stayed there for nearly a week in July 2007. Though I wasnt paying, I know that the Hilton is not cheap, in fact, it is one of the more expensive hotels in Nairobi.

The room was clean although a little small and the hotel made sure that I was given a complimentary fresh fruit basket every morning. The breakfast spread was excellent and included with the room.

The swimming pool was good and not too crowded. The gym was well equipped with all exercise machines, TVs and an instructor. There was a good spa as well with masseurs although it was quite expensive.

One major drawback was no international cable TV. One was forced to watch local channels which honestly are not up to the mark.

The bar was one of those old fashioned leather couch bars ideal for business meetings although occasionally, they had live bands performing.

All in all, the Hilton Nairobi is a standard 4-star hotel right in the centre of the city.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Saint Pete Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

So the rooms weren't as bad as some of the reviews. I was on the twelfth floor just below the executive level. We had a couch and sitting area bathroom was big and had a tub plenty of hot water. The furnishings were not luxurious but clean and not worn. Internet, breakfast etc were extra and quite expensive. We ate at Wimpy burger a chain I'm familiar with from the Philippines which was just across the street decent veggie burger. During the day the area isn't bad and is clean and walkable. There is a lack of stores selling water, snacks, etc in the area. We were jetlagged and the room was suitable for two nights of rest while adjusting. We did not make it to the pool but it was large clean and not crowded.
The security is amusing they do check out every car turning in. There is also a metal detector at the front door that is kinda a joke. They glance in purses backpacks etc but never the large luggage. Also if you set off the detector if you are a man they'll wand you half heartedly if you are a woman it doesn't matter if you set off the alarm they won't search you. Makes me wonder why they bother anyone could learn to skirt security after one walk into the hotel. You do not have to be a guest to enter.
I arranged for airport (NBO) pickup for two people it was going to be 1700 shillings we were met by the representative and instead of the hotel van were put in a taxi where we paid the driver 1400 shillings so a decent deal to the hotel, the drive was about a half an hour on a Friday Evening . They had a travel agency that quoted day trip prices for more than twice the cost that I was able to arrange on my own.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Nice service, clean rooms, clean function rooms, good information from staff, easy access to places of interest, good info about safari

Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This Hilton is past its prime. The hotel itself is tired and needs major renovations. I had a room on the third floor, facing the pool. The room was fine, except on weekend nights, when | stayed up until 3 AM due to the music from some disco nearby. The food at the restaurants was bland but very expensive. As a female solo traveller, I did not feel safe venturing out by myself at night, and had no choice but to eat dinner at the restaurant several nights. The hotel itself is located at the city center, and perhaps in any other town, that would be a positive thing. However, the city at night in Nairobi is empty and dangerous (my Kenyan colleagues recommended that I do not leave the hotel by myself). The only food available nearby was fast food places. They charged exurbant rates to use the internet and there was no wireless from the bedrooms. I can't believe at this day and age, any one can in charge $14 USD an hour for internet.

The staff was friendly, and this is the only postive thing I can say about this Hilton.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

The main problem with the hotel is its location. It is located in the middle of the city square and it is a meeting place of sorts for everyone. You will see all sorts of people waiting for their friends, others looking for employment etc. etc. Our vehicle was inspected everytime for bombs etc. but I am not sure what sort of security the Hilton is guaranteeing for its guests, when it is surrounded by people at all times of the day. Inside the hotel, there is an old world charm. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are well - adequate. The room service is good although I did not enjoy the grilled king fish cooked Kenyan style. No newspapers every morning - something I was used to at other 5-star hotels. The internet connection in the room is good.And please don't even think of going to the salon - it is not part of the hotel- even though it is listed in the hotel booklet as one of the services offered.The staff at the salon are friendly, but this is not the salon expected of a 5-star hotel.. it is not even the salon which should be part of a 1-star hotel. It was a shocker for both me and one of my male friends, who went to the male salon.The hotel will send you a staff to accompany you to the salon, because it is located outside and at the back of the hotel. The gym is adequate. All our friends recommended the Serena and that is where we are going to stay, next time we are in Nairobi.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!