I had a 3-night stay in a "standard" non-smoking room, one king bed, 6th floor. I saw none of the filth that other posts referred to: my room, bed linens, bathroom and bath towels were all clean. There was no can of bug spray in my room, nor were there mosquitos, ants or cockroaches.
This was a perfectly adequate Western hotel room for Africa. But that's all it was: adequate.
Good points: attentive security inside and out, reliable electricity / hot water / lifts / housekeeping (none of these are ever to be taken for granted in Africa). Most staff were genuinely cheery and friendly. Room service, while slow, was reliable. The price I paid (USD 145) included breakfast.
Bad points: the hotel desperately needs a serious renovation, at least for the rooms. My room was tiny to the point of cramped, with sprung upholstery for the desk chair, worn and frayed carpet, a miniscule bathroom with ancient fixtures, an uncomfortably soft mattress, and the same paper-thin walls that others referred to. The automatic door-closing mechanism guarantees that all room doors slam shut with a boom, including your neighbour's door at 3:00am. The buffet breakfast was pandemonium from both a guest and server / staff perspective. Get there early or get there late, but avoid like the plague 0730 - 0900.
Neutral points: service is to a local standard or perhaps even slightly better. For those who complained bitterly about internet charges, the 24-hour charge for internet in the room (USD 27) is not unusually high, and there is a plethora of cyber cafes in the area. The hotel is very close to the highly recommended Tamarind Restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the city's heart, the Hilton Nairobi hotel is next to the craft market and 25 minutes' drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Enjoy global dishes at the Traveller's Restaurant, try fine Italian cuisine at Sale E Pepe Restaurant or have a pint at the Hilton Nairobi hotel's Jockey Pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Hilton International Nairobi
- Nairobi Hilton International