“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had a wonderful stay at the hotel just for one day and it was like i was there for a whole month, it made my day since all was catered for by the room service attendants.The location of the hotel is ideal because it is at the centre of the central bisiness district.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of great value
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Turkish first
durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I don't usually stay in American hotels abroad but because I was traveling with others who were are not used to staying at locally own establishments I booked the Hilton. Overall, it was fairly easy to stay here as a base for traveling in and out of the city but I would consider another place in the future. I agree with others...it is not the usual Hilton standard.

Pros:
The Hilton staff will meet you at the airport and will take you to the Hilton Van. This is great!
The driver of the van will give you cold water for the ride.
The Pool area has good dining. Food is pricey for the area but the same as other Hilton properties
There is a business center
There is security everywhere
the fruit delivered to the room was great
Across the street from the outdoor market where there is good shopping
They will book you a sight seeing trip
There is a ATM right around the corner

Cons
They don't like to give you change or dollars but they will if you insist. Sometimes they have to go to the bank or money changers to get your change if you have large bills ($20).
The electricity goes out frequently (during the day)
My air conditioning didn't work...yes it was hot. They brought me a fan to use.
The business center is not open on the weekends so if you need to print a boarding pass you have to ask the front desk. They were so nice and et me use their computer but they should have more options.
Change for bills seemed to be an issue and they only took either American dollars or Kenya currency.

HINT: I would strongly recommend taking the HILTON VAN to the airport because right now they are stopping vehicles and searching them at the airport entrance. They recognize the Hilton van so your delay is brief. You have to book the van in advance and the hotel seems to push the taxis saying the van is not available. Not sure why. I tipped the hotel van driver very well and told him when I was going to the airport and he made sure he was there to pick me up.

ALSO: No one takes travels checks so leave them at home.

Just to note: There is lots of security. They check the vehicles for bombs at the gate and then you have to walk through a metal detector.

Leave for the airport at least two hours before you need to be there. Some times the traffic can be bad and the lines long.

One last thing. The Van driver pointed out giraffes at the airport...so cool!

Room Tip: Rooms up high are good but I would be concerned if the electric went out and the elevators didn'...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed for just one night on way to Masai Mara.Located in downtown Nairobi is quite nice. There are lot of security checks as one enters the hotel premise every time. The rooms are small but cozy,at least we have found so.But the water spilled from our bathroom to the bedroom(room number 511). Another problem we faced in the afternoon of the 31st July. A lady staff banged the door.to know whether we have consumed anything from the fridge. This has to be checked. In Europe they ask you only when someone checks out.View from the hotel is good. Found food to be good..Front desk staff was cordial. Location is very good for shopping.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

You are warned....This is a Hilton hotel in name only, the quality of stay, service and overall standards fall far below the normal expectations of a world class group. Having said that, the friendly staff do at least try to make your stay pleasant and the location is great. However the hotel needs a refurbishment and the restaurant needs a cook. It's was a long time ago when I stayed here last (1993) and I hoped things would have changed but no....they hadn't..... except the price. Not worth the money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Unfortunately the physical state of our facility did not meet your expectation, for which I sincerely apologize; I wish to inform you, that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come; the nearly completed lift replacement and serenity bed installation is the first part of this project; following which we shall proceed to the second phase in time to come.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your compliments about our team members friendliness. I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

A comfortable stay and great location. The staff is always very helpful and you feel a sense of welcome, peace and security. The quality of food and overall value for money is good. It is important, however, to constantly upgrade furnishings and fixtures and introduce more products to enhance client experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us about your stay at the Hilton Nairobi. We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and truly appreciate your nice compliments about the friendliness of our team members, and security.

We take great pride in offering our guests inspiring stays and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi soon.

Best regards,

brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

180 usd per night
arrogant staff at reception
every day got served in my room the breakfast from other guests
extremly fat and unhegienic food vomit last night pasta carbonada
samosa openned and fat swimming around
poor airco
3 day witthout proper network but on the bill
1700 shiling internet shame to make costumer pay

an expensive city with manny 5 and 4 stars over rated

dirty harry

Room Tip: pool rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for coming back to us with your review about your stay at the Hilton Nairobi.

Referring to your comments, we regret to see the dissatisfaction with our customer service at the reception and food offerings; Please accept my sincere apologies that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. I have shared you comment with the front office manager and executive chef i/c of food and beverage to review and put corrective measures in place.

We further note your comment that internet and air conditioner did not work effectively, I am indeed very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. It is unfortunate that we are reading about your dissatisfaction only after your departure, as we wish to have an opportunity to ‘make it right‘ for you during your stay. However, we do appreciate your constructive feedback as this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery.

Dear guest, to ensure we serve you better kindly contact me directly with your full reservation details so that I can investigate and revert to you in due course.

I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide.

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is the second Hilton International property I have been disappointed with in the last 12 months.
First, I want to clarify that the staff in this property were exceptional. Really very friendly, attentive and courteous. All of them were awesome.
That being said, the property is extremely dated and run down. Like from the 70's dated. It is undergoing a renovation at the moment, the elevators and the pool were undergoing deconstruction.
We stayed twice, on our way to and from Masai Mara. The first time we were in a tower room, these round towers are never conducive to a decent room no matter where they are. The room was punitively small, even by European standards. The bathroom fixtures had all the porcelain glazing scrubbed off over the years and as a result were stained and pitted. The vanity was undersized and the entire thing felt very shabby.
The second stay we were offered and jumped at a pool side room since we knew what the tower rooms were like. The pool side rooms while substantially larger, were even more run down and shabby. The floor was not really flooring but peel and stick cupboard liner that looked like wood. It was only one night so we toughed it out.
The pool area was the bright spot. On the first night we found it and lounged lazily in a garden type setting away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It was glorious. But by the time we returned it was torn up and closed for renovations.
The restaurant serves what we found to be the typical buffet for Kenya, fairly decent but very overpriced. For dinner we found the Jockey pub bar to have a better offering.
Like I said, the staff was awesome, the property needs a lot of help. I hope the renovations address the shortcomings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi; It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We appreciate your good compliments about our team members hospitality and service.

We however regret to read that the state of our hotel facilities did not meet your expectation, please accept my sincere apology for this. Based on your comments I wish to reiterate that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come; the nearly completed lift replacement and serenity bed installation are the first part of this project.

As of our food prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city. Only at independent, small local restaurants and hotels, are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants and hotels one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Our esteemed guest, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us.

Sincerely

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!