“Best priced gift shops” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
California
“Best priced gift shops”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The highlight for me at this hotel is that they have the best priced gift shops of all hotels. It is located within the Arcade and are independently owned but there are two to choose from. One is Indian owned and you will know which one because you will be greeted with strong incense. If negotiating on the open market is stressful for you, come here for posted pricing that are very reasonable or at the very least, get your bearings on what the baseline price is for negotiating. I was able to purchase several bracelets to give to coworkers for just 80 schillings! The best bargain of the trip.

The food at poolside was just okay. I was very disappointed with my "fresh squeezed" juice that came out of a box. The girl taking orders needs to have some of the food so she can better explain the menu. She had no opinion of any item on the menu as if it was her first time dining outside of her home.

The business center charges 800 schillings for one hour of internet use, 1700 schillings for 24 hours. Printing service is 50 cents USD per page! Although prices were high, service was reliable. They do not sell postcard stamps but the business center staff offered to do it on her own time which was much appreciated. Gave her 30 schillings tip.

The location of the hotel is extremely convenient to all. The hotel staff recommended Ranalo Foods for authentic African food which was also much appreciated.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are sincerely sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, please accept my sincere apologies for this. We regret to see that you did not like the juice served to you at the pool restaurant. I have shared your comment with our executive chef i/c of food and beverage for review and retrain the menu knowledge to all team members at the Pool restaurant.

As of internet charges and other service costs at the business centre, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we are happy to see that you liked the location of our facility and enjoyed shopping within the arcade.

Dear guest, we do hope to get another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Kempton Park, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Great Value for money with good facilities.... The staff are very friendly and accomodating. The gym has a lot of equipment with aerobic classes. The pool was been renovated at the time but that will be another great plus once reopened. The bar had good entertainment at night so need need to go out into the city. Breakfast was very good with a massive selection of foods. For the price paid compared to other hotels i have stayed in in Nairobi it is the best value for money in Nairobi in my opinion.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Nairobi.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your compliments about team members hospitality and facilities. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We take great pride in offering our guests inspiring stays, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi soon.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

2 meals - both times wrong.
Swimming pool closed without any prior warning.
Executive lounge - breakfast service excellent but afternoon/evening service poor, drinks not delivered, incorrect orders etc.
Not to be recommended

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us as our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet your expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; my sincerest apologies for this. We will go through your comment in details with our Executive Lounge team and the issues listed will be addressed in order to avoid this from happening again, to any of our guests.
We regret to note your disappointment about our swimming pool closure. The decision of undertaking the maintenance within short notice was July being considered as “winter season” in Nairobi and due to low demand for pool usage. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this must have caused you.
We appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us.

Your sincerely,

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed there 2 nights on a business trip and the hotel is showing it's age. The rooms are old and the showers are small and not very comfortable. Food is not bad, especially because they have such variety of local fruits, and people are nice. There is a pizza place on the corner, and it looks decent. A lot of traffic around the area since it's close to a busy bus stop.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Amos M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure for us having you as our guest at the Hilton Nairobi, and thank you very much for your nice feedback. We are happy to note that you enjoyed our food and great customer care by our team members.

I am very sorry to see that the physical state of our facilities and size did not meet your expectation. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our food and hospitality of our team members.

As of the traffic around the hotel, we apologize for the inconvenience caused and look forward to having an opportunity welcome you back again at the Hilton Nairobi.

Kind regards,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here for six days in the month of July 2014 for business purpose.
Its an old but well maintained hotel. People serving you at the Travellers restaurant are good. However, people on reception including the managers need serious training to treat customers.
They have no idea about what is going on and how to resolve problems. There are a few instances which made the otherwise good stay an unpleasant one.
One of the hotel guy called me at 4 AM in the morning asking to settle a bill of last evening dinner, which they didn't bring while serving the food in room. They could have waited for next morning. Sure they sent an apology letter later on but that does not mean that they keep annoying people staying there.
A night before check out they charged some 10,900 Shillings for Internet usage in my colleague's room, which actually was not used. After two hours of arguments they realized the mistake and had to waive off. If we wouldn't have protested they would have charged us the amount.
While we settled the bills in night to get a quick check out, they handed over another bill for some phone call which was never made. Again after another argument they waived it off as there was no call made.
It appears to me as if they keep on posting wrong charges until someone protests.
Hence a tip is to verify the bills very carefully before check out.
Also, using their services are very expensive. For a trip of 11 kms and three hours they quoted 6000 shillings. That's way too high compared to other premium taxi services.
Post servicing the room they would not places essentials like towels, water etc which one has to call and ask. Pretty much against the operating proceduees of an ISO certified hotel !
Overall, good hotel, descent food but bad systems and service.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Amos M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear guest

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, as you have mentioned in your Trip advisor review, Please accept my sincere apologies for this should not be the case. We regret to note that your were called at 4am in the morning, and I wish to state that you had requested for breakfast and our room service team members could not just access your room to deliver without notifying you. To demonstrate our commitment to customer to our customer satisfaction, our executive chef i/c of food and beverage sent a fruit plater and an apology letter in your room inviting you for a complementary dinner, although from what you have written, it was not well perceived.

Then during check out you strongly disputed your colleagues internet charges and claimed that he only used free WiFi offered in public. To investigate this unusual dispute, we requested for both your devises ‘Mac’ address, to enable us verify internet usage as you were together most of the time; Your colleague willingly accepted but you completely refused saying that we were questioning your integrity. We further called in our external internet provider who confirmed that the disputed charges were only incurred in your colleagues room. I sincerely believe that you being in disagreement of the charges you could be very much open and willing to co-operate with all necessary measures to ensure all doubts are cleared, but you completely declined to give your device ‘Mac’ address. Despite this we waved Ksh, 10,900 internet charges from the bill to ensure your satisfaction. We also extended to wave the telephone bill that you again disputed.

As of our housekeeping room service, I have shared your feedback with our executive housekeeper. Rest assured corrective measures will be put in place.

We however regret to see you choose to address this now in this manner. We at Hilton Nairobi upholds integrity in all transactions and dealings with our esteemed guests. Nevertheless we appreciate your feedback.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely,

Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have recently stayed three weeks at the Hilton for work. I met dozens of staff during my stay, and every single one of them was professional, friendly, and committed to making my (and my colleague's) stay as comfortable as possible. I went out for dinner one night at the new and very fancy Villa Rosa Kempinski, and their customer service was noticeably less smooth than that at the Hilton. The Hilton staff were also concerned with our safety (we were there during a political rally on Saba Saba day) and offered a security guard to walk with us to a nearby restaurant. I don't have a single complaint about the service!

Some say that the Hilton is outdated but in the rooms that I saw, this didn't bother me at all, everything was clean and functional. For our deal at £66 per night (expedia), it's pretty good value for money. The poolside is lovely and the pool is heated, so can be enjoyed despite the cold July weather (~20 degrees). We also appreciated the taxi service, there are always taxis waiting outside and they have a fixed rate sheet - no need to bargain.

The one thing that could be improved is the food. The Hilton has a couple of restaurants and a pub, which are very pricey... which is to be expected. However, the food is unfortunately somewhat average so I decided to eat elsewhere most of the time. The downside is that here aren't too many choices for good food around the hotel (Java, Trattoria - and Sarova Stanley has good restaurants as well.

Also, the beds aren't the most comfortable, unless perhaps if you like a very hard bed. I do believe they are in the process of changing them, as my colleague saw some mattresses being delivered.

I would definitely return here!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Amos M, Front Office Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments about our team members warm hospitality and service. I am very happy to hear that that they took time to ensure your comfort and satisfaction during your three weeks stay with us. We are also happy to read that you enjoyed our heated swimming pool and liked the taxi services provided.

We, however regret that you did not find our food very pleasant, I am sincerely sorry for this, and I have shared your comment with our executive chef i/c of food and beverage for review.

Our esteemed guest, we further note your comment with regards to our mattresses, I do confirm that we have replaced our complete beds with new serenity beds, and rest assured the comfort of our new beds cannot be matched.

We sincerely appreciate this nice review, as it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

I personally look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had to stay at the Hilton Nairobi for 6 nights and it was almost torture. My expectations were high given the Hilton brand reputation. I was aghast this hotel was of such low standards. The rooms are dated, the bathroom was old and dirty, my toilet did not flush so eventually they had to change my room. In the new room the toilet was still stained, the carpets were musty. Towels are old and of inferior quality, the breakfast was below standard...this hotel is simply not value for money, and I think instead of trying to do polish on dirt, they should just close down for complete refurbishment. I felt uncomfortable throughout as I'm used to staying at hotels of a much higher standard in Nairobi and was relieved when my stay came to an end. The only high point was the gym had great trainers, and the staff were pleasant.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us, and we do appreciate your constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Unfortunately the physical state of our facility did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, as you indicated in this review; my profound apologies for this, and I am pleased to advice that we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance; the nearly completed lift replacement is the first part of this project.

Nevertheless, we truly appreciate your nice compliments about our team members hospitality and professionalism at the health club.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us.

AMOS MWORIA I Front Desk Manager

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!