“Don't trust website photos” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #42 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Manila, Philippines
“Don't trust website photos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Just as my title says, don't trust website photos. Their standard rooms are nothing like the photos. Very disappointing. The rooms look like they could use an update. For a Hilton hotel, it was very disappointing. Any new furniture was of very cheap quality. So obvious because it did not match the older furniture. The beds had no stoppers so you had to keep pushing it against the wall. Lighting was very bad - not enough light in the room.

But, staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet was more than adequate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us.

I regret to see that our property outlook did not meet your expectations, I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. However, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Nairobi.

Best regards,
MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Turkish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Booked into the Hilton and arranged a tour of Nairobi Park. Sadly, no one knew much about the arrangments when we arrived. The price agreed to had to be proven with a copy of the email I brought with me. The charges for the room were not accurate. The place is under construction...service is average.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your email and feedback following your recent stay with us at the Hilton Nairobi.

I regret that that there was indeed internal miscommunication which resulted in the front desk team not having the information regarding your tour, I also checked regarding the price for the tour of which I would like to clarify that the total fee charged was for the national park tour and a surcharge is charged for any additional tours or trips requested. My sincere apologies as this was not made clear to you upon confirmation of the tour. Please be assured that we have taken corrective measures to avoid such an incident from re-occurring to any of our guests in the future.

We have also noted your comment on the average standard of service experienced and billing errors. We do appreciate your critical yet constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Manuela Brode
Director of Operations
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had a good stay at the Hilton. Generally the room service was fantastic. The location of the hotel is fabulous as it is in the heart of the city. There was good variety for breakfast and I enjoyed the omelette. I was impressed with security at Hilton it was spot on.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience; the room service, variety at breakfast and security which made your stay worthwhile.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

A frequent guest at Hilton NBO like to say how incredibly honest staff here are.
in particular Mr Lawrence Opiyo Ongaro . On reaching the hotel, as I was in hurry to get to my venue, I handed Lawrence my unsealed purse with all travel documents,
passport, foreign money, credit cards and cash plus other valuables to look after.
Nothing was removed or touched. There was no worry when I returned to my Room next day.
This is virtually unthinkable at most other hotels. The concierge team are al excellent.

The management has not reviewed shuttle charges from #rt remain pretty high
though the local reputed taxi Company KENACTO offer better rate all smart vehicles, bookable
in advance or available at a#rt . For someone having to make more than three - six journeys from a'rt is a much better deal.

Room Tip: For fresh air pool side rooms are very healthy situated as doors can be opened but endure disturba...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience, and thank you for the fine compliments you make about honesty of our team members. We have gladly shared this with the entire team and Lawrence in particular.

With regards to the shuttle charges, we appreciate your critical yet constructive feedback as this will go a long way in improving the quality of service to our guests.

We appreciate your positive comments, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I don't often write 'bad' reviews of hotels, and perhaps this won't be one either, but more of a wake-up call to Hilton Nairobi.

I've stayed in the Hilton Nairobi several times over the years - usually never my choice but down to planning by colleagues. I can safely say, that when the choice is mine I will be going elsewhere.

Ok, so why?
The hotel is jaded, tired and is well past its sell-by date. Extensive renovations are called for. However, I personally wonder if this hotel will even be open for business in 2/3 years time.

I could have found 100 examples of items of furniture which required attention, bathrooms where more than a good clean would have helped and a general feeling of neglect.
Don't let the new lifts fool you (actually I'd love to know why a new lift is needed when the basics are being left undone).

The staff appear to be doing their best - have the numbers of staff decreased I wonder? But there's an athmosphere of exterior courtesy which is not followed up by 'genuine' professional concern for the customer which exists as a matter of common-place in all major hospitality outlets in these challenging times. (Standing over someone's shoulder as they eat or drink is not considered best-practice in places I frequent).

Having booked rooms in the hotel externally, the price was fair. But, and it's a big but, once my short stay in the hotel was finished I enquired about returning in a week's time for the same rate. The receptionist (male - whose name I know) assured me that would not be a problem. Well, it was most certainly a problem when it came to my return.
It took one of my colleagues to make a fuss before he received satisfaction. I on the otherhand moved to another establishment.

As someone who travels the world and has used the Hilton Brand the world over, I'm shocked to say the least.

The staff can only do their best to tow the line with the rope they've been given; let's hope they're not forced to hang themselves with it.

Pull up your socks Hilton Nairobi, there's a tourism crisis in Kenya, is this how to help fix it or will closing your doors be the option?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your critical and constructive feedback with us.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation; my sincere apologies for this should not be the case.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to make it right, and to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests.

Juba, South Sudan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had a great experience on my trip at Hilton Hotel, Nairobi. The view of the city was so great and cclear from the tower. The giant screen with full digital TV kept me always entertained and uptodate with current news. The high speed wireless internet was outstanding.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience; the tower view of the city, television and efficient internet which made your stay worthwhile.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed at the Hilton for one night inbetween flights. i was picked up at the airport by their shuttle service which i was impressed with as my flight was 1hour early and they were still there to pick me up. the security checks on the doors are excellent and all staff are very friendly.
the rooms were average, being a little shabby, but they were still comfortable. i had room service which was efficient and tasty. the internet was a little overpriced.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Manuela B, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us, and we do appreciate your constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Thank you for the fine comments regarding the service and friendliness team members. unfortunately, the physical state of the room did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, as you indicated in this review; my profound apologies for this, and I am pleased to advice that we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance; the nearly completed lift replacement is the first part of this project.

We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Martin Voskamp

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!