“In need of some TLC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Gothenburg, Sweden
“In need of some TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I had a pleasant 5 nights stay here but, compared to other "top class" hotels in Nairobi and other Hiltons, this is way below standard. It may have been a nice hotel at one time, but now it is faded round the edges. The rooms, while providing basic comfort, are in need of refurbishment, and the bathrooms resemble something from a 1950s American motel with noisy plumbing, temperamental hot water and no ventilation.
I am amazed that in 2014 a hotel with a largely business clientele is still charging for WiFi access in the rooms (22 USD per 24 hours). Free WiFi is available in the public areas but is limited to 8 hours per day and involves having to request a password every time you want to log on. It also means that the place is littered with business people trying to work on small tables in the café, or by the pool with people coming and going and music playing constantly in the background.
The breakfast buffet is plentiful and caters to most tastes and appetites, but I found the experience rather stressful due to the number of staff. There is no obvious system in terms of who serves which tables, leading to a free-for-all. 5 staff members tried to serve me orange juice, which I didn't want, within as many minutes, and several attempts were made to clear away my plate while I was still eating. As for other meals, the evening poolside buffet was good value, and the food served in the restaurant/ pub is of a decent standard.
Conclusion: perfectly adequate, but I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Despite being in downtown Nairobi the rooms in the main tower are quiet, so there's no real need...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for coming back to us with your review about your stay in our Hotel Hilton Nairobi. Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation, which we sincerely apologize for. As of the physical state of the facility, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We also regret to see that our breakfast service team were crowded hence creating a stressful environment, please accept our profound apologies if this was the case. I have shared this information with our food and beverage manager and rest assured that measurements for improved service are being put in place.

We appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and we hope to get another opportunity of welcoming you back with us at the Hilton Nairobi.

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Lincs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Been a regular visitor since 1992 and feel it really is seriously overdue for renovation. The traffic situation in the centre and the drop in Safari goers can't help but Nairobi is still a busy city with plenty of business visitors so surely it justifies at least doing something to the bathrooms. Also appreciate free Wifi now available in public areas but a little antiquated for hotels to charge large sums to hook up to internet in rooms when this is now a necessity for most business travellers. The saving grace is the staff are always pleasant and helpful. Shame would used to be a flagship hotel has been allowed to go to seed.

Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Basing on your comment about the physical state of our property, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. We appreciate your feedback as this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your compliments about our team members helpfulness.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Rooms are too old and worn Pool too hot to swim in Food is terrible, terrible, terrible (old, stale and dry. Pancakes at breakfast are HARD because they remain there for hours) food not replenished and quality just .... Executive lounge is not providing proper snacks or choices. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for coming back to us with your review about your stay at the Hilton Nairobi. I regret to see that we have not been able to meet your expectation; for which I sincerely apologize. I have shared this information with our management team and rest assured corrective measures will be put in place.

We are happy that you were satisfied with our teams hospitality, and I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back and prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us.

Crowell, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here in December 2013 for two nights before heading to Tanzania for a safari. The room was very nice and it felt secure even though it was right in the heart of the city (each time our cab pulled up it was stopped by security at a gate and they used a little mirror to check the bottom of the cars, as well as metal detectors entering the lobby). The central location was nice and an easy cab ride to things we wanted to see. The only drawback I would say might be the price - we got a special rate due to our Hilton Honors Reward Points but without that it would have been a little spendy, but probably still worth it for the security and central location

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our facility, Hilton Nairobi. We are very glad that you were satisfied with your overall experience and as well felt secure.

We appreciate your very good comment about our security measures, and to boost it even further, I am proud to advice you that we have replaced the under vehicle search mirrors with under vehicle search cameras which are more reliable and efficient.

We are happy that you liked the location and its proximity to essential areas and services. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Best regards,

Chennai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was extremely happy with my stay but had only one problem is limited menu with food for Pure Veg. hope Hilton could get this challenge fixed. hope they can have some Indian / Asian chef who can cook few Indian varieties.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us about your stay at the Hilton Nairobi. We are delighted to hear, that you enjoyed your stay.

As of the vegetarian menu, rest assured we will review the options based on your comment, and we appreciate your honest feedback as this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I can comfortably recommend the Hilton Nairobi as a venue for travelling businessman. Albeit only my 2nd visit to the Hilton in 2 months, certain staff members recognised me and greeted me by name, making me feel more at home which I find highly complementary. Well done Hilton Nairobi staff.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience, and thank you for the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team. I have had the pleasure to share your comments with them personally.

It is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have Hilton Gold Status, so I chose to stay here before and after safari. The location was not bad right in the CBD which is quite a busy area. The rooms nice, well insulated I heard no street noise. The executive lounge was quite nice, plenty of food and drink options.
I would stay again. One minor complaint, the hotel charged a foreign transaction fee for pre-paying my reservation. I did not notice the fees for charges done at the Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the outstanding compliments you make about our facilities. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of foreign transaction fee, kindly be advised that this fee is charged by an individual bank when a transaction is conducted in a foreign country and not by Hilton Nairobi. We gladly assist you with further details when contacting us directly.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.
With kind regards

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!