“Most awful stay! What a shame for a Hilton” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #39 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Boston, Massachusetts
“Most awful stay! What a shame for a Hilton”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at the Nairobi Hilton in January with two other colleagues for about 14 days and what a mistake it was. Had we not prepaid the stay, we would have moved out on day one. To start, the hotel was undergoing construction and no one bothered to tell us at the time of reservations. Drilling noise was most annoying. Room service trays left in the hall way for days. Restaurant running out of orange juice at 7:15 AM!! Internet was only free in the lobby and you needed an access code which did not work more than 70% of the time, so you had to keep going back and forth to get a code that worked, unless of course, you paid an additional $22/day, when all other hotels offered it for free. Exorbitant charges at the pool bar! The worst experience you could have with the laundry service that managed to ruin the clothes without any consideration of compensation. Frozen pizzas and canned mushrooms after a good hour wait to be served! I could go on and on. The hotel does not look it has undergone any renovations in ages (I had a broken chair in my room that collapsed when I sat on it!). Not sure how Hilton International allows the use of its name on this shabby place! Don't make the same mistake that we did. Hotel was made fully aware of all this and all they could offer were apologies.

Room Tip: No good rooms to choose. Just stay away!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Referring to your comment, I regret to read about your dissatisfaction and it saddens that we did not manage to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. The bulk of issues raised have been discussed with the team and corrective measure are put in place.
I sincerely hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi, and re-establish your faith in our hotel. We do appreciate your honest and valuable feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With kind regards.

Yours sincerely,

MANUELA BRODE
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Fabulous location in the city centre. Staff were excellent, friendly and helpful.. Rooms urgently need an upgrade although our poolside room was ideally located. Excellent breakfast and newspaper summaries from around the worl were a bonus.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your nice feedback regarding your stay at Hilton Nairobi. We are delighted to read, that you enjoyed your stay and our hospitable staff; Our team takes great pride in offering our guests inspiring service.

As of the physical state of the rooms, I wish to advice that we are in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Maputo, Mozambique
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Overpriced, overated. Low quality rooms and food offered at high quality prices. Safe yourself the dissappointment and book another hotel. undertstand the near by Intercontinental offers far better value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Referring to your comment, I regret to read about your dissatisfaction and I sincerely hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi, and re-establish your faith in our hotel. I do appreciate your honest feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Bangalore, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I was completely pissed off with the internet speed. I maid call many times to get this fixed but finally i have to give up on it as the engineer said it was the best speed they could provide. I could not do my work in the hotel as most of my work was depends on internet.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us as our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet your expectations.

Unfortunately, we regret to see that you experienced difficulties working with our internet, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. As our promise is to ‘make it right’ to all our guests and ensure customer satisfaction, we will contact you directly to rectify the situation. Meanwhile, I do confirm that the speed has been restored and now ideal for any business transaction.

We appreciate your honest feedback and I do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi in the not too distant future.

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Great accommodations for the price. Very satisfied with the facilities for a business trip. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Great gym and pool facilities also. Recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. It was a pleasure for us having you as our guest and we are happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, at Hilton Nairobi. We are delighted about the nice compliments appreciating the services provided by our staff.

We look forward to welcome you again soon.

Maputo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

If you stay here, expect to be disappointed, The rooms are small and look as though they have not been refurbished since the hotel was built in 1969. The bathrooms are grotty, shower curtains mouldy, toilet seats lose and 'greb' aound the bath seals. The towels supplied are threadbare and in our room some of the lights were without bulbs. Even after mentioning this to reception no action was taken. The gym that is supposed to open at 06:00 on a sunday morning was locked up and only opened after 06:15 when I went to reception to ask them to find the staff member to open up. The food from the restaurant was overpriced (GPB 10:00 for a toasted sanwhich) and the pizza I ordered tasted like it was made using a tesco value frozen pizza base. At breakfast the only good thing was the freshly squeezed orange juice. The front desk staff were polite and after discussing our concerns about the poor quality and excessive pricing we were told that a high percentage of customers leave dissatified.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel !!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectation which we sincerely regret. As of the physical outlook of the property, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

With regards of the quality of our room supplies, amenities, food and maintenance, I have shared your comment with the management for review. Rest assured corrective measures will be put in place.

Our esteemed guest, I am indeed very sorry for this disappointing experience, and I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The quality of the room, restaurants, and service were all a very pleasant surprise. The staff was genuinely there to assist and make our stay pleasant. The restaurants are a must. Service at both of the restaurants was attentive and professional. The food was good, and the wine choices were excellent. The veranda in the back is a must for evening cocktails. It was beautiful.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure for us hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are happy to note that you were very satisfied with our overall quality of service and facilities. Thank you for your compliments on our team members hospitality and the food served in our restaurants; Believe me it is comments / ratings such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again soon.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!