“Tired hotel which falls short of the standards seen elsewhere in Kenya” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Hilton Nairobi to your Saves list
Hilton Nairobi
Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
London
“Tired hotel which falls short of the standards seen elsewhere in Kenya”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I spent 10 days in Kenya in October 2013 and this hotel was by far the worst in which we stayed. That's not to say it is terrible but that everywhere else was excellent. We attempted to check in at about 3pm and had to wait 45 mins for a non-smoking room to become available (even though checkin was from 12pm). We were given a voucher for a coffee in the lobby while we waited. As previous reviews have stated, they are undertaking the installation of a new lift at present which means the wait can be longer than usual. The rooms are small and slightly tired looking although the beds are extremely comfortable. However, upon trying to leave the hotel we couldn't call a lift to our floor (the call button was not working). We tried to find the stairs but these just lead to an alarmed door. Eventually we managed to find the service lift which took us to the maintenance area and managed to find our way to the lobby. Upon inquiring at reception as to how to get down, we were told that we should call reception and order a lift. Hopefully that will help any other travel stranded on their floor.

Staff are excellent, friendly and very welcoming although this is pretty standard in Kenya where everyone is this way. Food in the restaurant is good but a little on the pricey side and the wifi is hugely overpriced for what it is. Location in Nairobi is great. Don't be put off by reviews, the hotel is okay although considerable work is going to have to be undertaken to modernise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and we appreciate your compliments to our team members outstanding hospitality.

Regarding the physical state of our facility, I am pleased to advise that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the delays in our lift operation, but we are confident that with our newly upgraded elevator in place the above mentioned inconveniences will be over shortly.

Our esteemed guest, Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel is central in the business district but its a bit tired and worn out in terms of its look and facilities. The staff are VERY good and friendly and helpful but the hotel needs a refurbishment ( Not just new lifts which are being done now and mean that we had just one out of three lifts working!!).

The breakfast buffet is OK and so is the WiFi connection and beds were comfortable but it has that feel of a neglected 1980s old hotel in need of some major work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful.

We have noted your comment with regards of the physical outlook of our property and I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come
Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and we appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality. It is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Although it has been a while since I stayed here I remember the stay in this hotel as pleasant, safe, clean rooms with good service. Breakfast/dinner ok. The location is central and close to the airport. What disappointed was that the room and bathroom were outdated, maybe modern in the 80s ;) but there are more Hilton's like that around. Not sure if it is needed but there were heavy security checks when entering - guess it is a good thing, makes the hotel feel safe.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We regret to read that you were disappointed with the physical state of our facility, I am sincerely very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation. However, I am pleased to advice that we are in the planning process of a master plan renovation that, over time, will take care of the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience.

Dear guest, we thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Wasshington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Friendly and hospitable staff doing as much in a difficult environment. The amount of up front investing in moving the hotel to the next generation of hotels in enoumous but rerquired if hilton Nairobi is to maintain its place as a premier hotel..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the fine compliment you make about our team members’ hospitality.

However, I am pleased to advice that we in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will take care of the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is definitely a "HINO" (a Hilton in Name Only). Besides the fact that there was major work taking place on the elevators, the bathroom was substandard, internet wi-fi was spotty, and there was very little recognition for Hilton elite status when giving out rooms and upgrades ... that said, the service is excellent and the food service is just outstanding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.
Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in the comment; my sincerest apologies for this, but I do appreciate your feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests. As for the physical state of the hotel, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that, over time, will take care of the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

Our esteemed guest, we regret read that the internet service was spotty and you were given little recognition despite the HHonors status, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation. We value your loyalty and as our promise to our guests is ensure guest comfort and satisfaction, I hope to get the chance of meeting you in person when you return back to Nairobi and ‘make it right.’

Nevertheless, we are happy to read that you enjoyed our food and service. I have shared your wonderful comments with the entire hotel team.

With kind regards.

Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was very dissappointed in this hotel. While the service (people) was great, the check in was brutally slow and the rooms were antiquated. They only had one working elevator!! The heating and air did not work well. Electricity went off twice. Internet was $75 for 5 days and did not work much of the time. The beds were hard. For a $300 room in Africa that is unacceptable

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

I regret to see that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the discomforting experience. As of the physical state of our facility, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. I do appreciate your critical and constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery

Our esteemed guest, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here for four nights and hardly left the hotel due to security concerns. My room was on the 4th floor overlooking the front of the hotel and was comfortable and clean though the tap in the wash basin did not work. The food in the restaurant was excellent and all the staff were extremely helpful and appeared genuinely helpful and considerate. Yes it's a bit shabby in parts but overall I would be happy to return and recommend it for its service, food and comfort
I used the spa for the gym which was poorly laid out and lacked a range of equipment and space.
Great heated pool outside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

With pleasure we read your compliments and truly appreciate the good comments you make about our team members hospitality and the facilities. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience, for it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at the Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

However, as of the physical appearance, spa lay out and size, I am pleased to advice, that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!