“Rooms are tiny, hard mattresses” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Vancouver, Canada
“Rooms are tiny, hard mattresses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First impression was great and the staff friendly and very helpful, but the rooms were tiny, the beds uncomfortable and the air conditioning didn't work very well as we were uncomfortable and hot all night. Their buffet breakfast was excellent with a large variety of fresh baked bread and pastries as well as anything you would ever want.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of the size of our rooms. I am sincerely sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, I have the pleasure to advise that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.
We apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the Air-condition not working at full capacity. Our Chief Engineer has taken immediate action and rectified the situation in the meantime.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your comment about the outstanding hospitality of our team members and I am personally happy to read that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast.

595 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Turkish first
Leland, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I recently completed a 10 day stay at this hotel. The staff aim to please, answering inquiries almost immediately. In contrast to what I read in other reviews, I was quite pleased with everything other than the cost of food at the Traveler's Restaurant where all meals are served buffet style. Even then when I noted I was less hungry, staff accommodated my desire for less food at a more reasonable price. I was able to choose a dish that was on the buffet and make myself a platter, paying only for one plate rather than the entire buffer. One evening, housekeepers brought fresh flowers to my room, for no other reason than to brighten my day. A group of us traveled on a Saturday to the Nairobi Game Park, leaving early in the morning. As breakfast was included in our room rate, the restaurant prepared to go boxes for us with food that was ample for both breakfast and lunch. Security was more than adequate at the hotel. Meeting rooms were fine for a conference, the internet was not the fastest, but again adequate for downloading manuscripts.
The hotel is in the process of renovation. Some rooms are thus better equipped than others.

Room Tip: Choose a mid-level floor. Folks on the higher levels complained about waiting for the elevators
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your compliments about the outstanding hospitality of our team members who were very accommodative to your food requirements. I am also happy to read that your game park tour was executed to your satisfaction and that our facilities were adequate. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

As you already mentioned, I hereby confirm that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come, which will certainly enhance the guest experience.

Dear Guest, we place great value on your custom and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

First impressions of the Hilton are very good; the reception area is very grand, the bellboys and the front desk staff are all very helpful despite them pestering you to upgrade your room. However; the rooms are very disappointing. Small in size, warn down furniture and overall tired looking. The bathroom was barely big enough to turn around in! I think the biggest disappointment was that they charged for Wi-Fi. We are in 2013, everywhere has free Wi-Fi yet the Hilton doesn't.
Breakfast was adequate, good variety of food. However the natural flow/order didn't particularly work as you had to go and find things like the bread table or the juice.
The pool was under maintenance, and only 1 out of the 3 lifts were working. Overall, a really disappointing stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was truly a pleasure to serve you and we thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.
We are glad to read and appreciate your positive comment about the good impression that you have got once you were at our property; grand reception area, front desk team and bellboys outstanding hospitality stands out.

However, as regards of the room size and physical condition of the facilities, I am sincerely sorry and regret that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. Based on your comments I wish to inform you, that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come.

We have also noted your comment that you were disappointed that we charged for WiFi connection, I would like to advise, that apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. As we understand the increased demand for internet accessibility, Hilton worldwide is currently reviewing all options for a customer friendly solution to support ease and cost friendly access.

I am pleased to see that you liked our breakfast and variety of food offered in our restaurant. I have shared your experience in regards to the items order at the buffet with our executive chef. We appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

With kind regards

Yours sincerely,

Kampala, Uganda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having been invited as a speaker and moderator for a hotel conference in Nairobi last week, the organizers booked, or rather rebooked me to the Hilton.
Check in already left me perplexed when the staff, instead of explaining about more important things for guests to know, kept harping on about how well off I'd be if I would part with a hundred bucks a night for an upgrade?!?
Receiving no response he eventually gave up, completed the check in and I was taken to the 8th floor where my room was located.
On entry I must have looked so stunned that the porter asked me if something was wrong ... and it was ... no change since the 70's surely when Peter Frank ran a tight ship and the hotel, for those days, was one of Nairobi's leading places.
The bathroom is just as it was when the hotel opened, tiny, small, perhaps acceptable in those days but today, for a Hilton, simply unacceptable in this day and age. It looked as if not one gadget had been changed, except perhaps for the hair dryer? I guess they did change towels since then though the ones in my room were 'thin', again below what I consider Hilton's global standards.
The wardrobe, more a hole in the wall, equally was fit to be found in a 2 star hotel perhaps in River Road, though I suspect they might be doing better even.
The carpet was clean, in fact the entire room was clean and things worked, at least the things there were. The furniture though was aged and it showed, tired, knocked, polished yes but wear and tear were clearly visible.
The alarm clock on the tiny desk - I guess I will now hear about 'if only you had upgraded' - could not be moved to make space as it was screwed on and there was hence only one spare socket for an array of appliances to keep powered up or to charge.
The bed quality was good, as were the cushions but as I hardly sleep anyway how I would have traded that for more sockets, a pair of slippers, a robe, a shoe horn, the desk chair to be re-upholstered and not sink down, or a paper in the morning.
The minibar fridge cabinet had the flat screen TV on top but still showed the drill holes where I guess the console of the old TV must have been screwed on, filled, varnished but still very visible.
Of the three elevators two were out of service the entire duration of my stay, though on check in I was told one of the two was under 'service' and would be back in operations later that day.
Food equally disappointed. The first night the Ravioli were not available, said to be available the next day, and the Tagliatelle contained in equal half's very tender and very rubbery slivers of beef, wanting me to get up and have a world, or more, with the chef.
On the second day, the Ravioli were still not available and the waiter did again, when handing the menu, NOT immediately say 'sorry Sir, this item is not available' - it took for the order to be taken and then, minutes later, to be told 'sorry, no have'.
What made a difference was ONE dining rooms staff, Roseline, who was way above her colleagues in the way she observed and reacted. Positive was also that the milk jug did not drip and spill, at least they got the crockery right at the Hilton Nairobi, a small consolation.
If their management thinks this is a bad review, please look up what I wrote about the Sheraton in Abuja where I suggested the Sheraton sign should be ripped off the front as the hotel was unfit to be called a Sheraton. Give it perhaps another year in this state, I might suggest the same for the Hilton, even though I have absolutely no intention to return there.
and even though I did not foot the bill, my conference organizers did, it was too much in any case, no value for money.

Room Tip: I would, tongue in cheek, say DO NOT STAY THERE ... not until they embark and finish a major refurbi...
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in your comment. With regards of the physical status of the hotel and facilities, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

With regards to all service related issues you have raised, I have shared this information with our department heads to put corrective measures in place to ensure that we deliver our promise to our guests. We appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We also note your comment that two out of three guest elevators were faulty, I wish to explain that one of the elevators had experienced mechanical problems which is not a safety risk to any hotel guest or team members and it was temporarily stopped for repair and maintenance. Our service and elevator company has repaired the lift and continues to observe that all are working effectively. The lift at the centre is currently undergoing major reconstruction and will be replaced with a new cabin. The works form part of the renovation process to enhance service to our guests.

Despite the inconvenience you have experienced, I personally thank you for your appreciation of our team member Roseline and I have shared your thanks with her personally.

Dear guest, I regret that we have not been able to meet your expectation and sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us.

Randburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Hotel has seen better days! It is old and dilapidated. Two of the three lifts were not working and the pool was green. They do not put coffee sachets in the rooms. The furniture and finishes are old. The towel rail in the bathroom is hanging loose. The location of the Hotel is in the middle of the city centre and the traffic is bad!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful.

We have noted your comment with regards of physical status of the hotel, the facilities and furnishings and I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. We are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come.

As two out of three guest elevators were faulty during your recent stay with us, I wish to explain that one of the elevators had experienced mechanical problems which is not a safety risk to any hotel guest or team members and it was temporarily stopped for repair and maintenance. Our service and elevator company has repaired the lift and continues to observe that all is working effectively. The lift in the centre is currently undergoing major reconstruction and will be replaced with a new cabin. The works form part of the renovation process to enhance services to our guests.

With regards of location of our property and the traffic within town, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near.

Yours sincerely,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel must have been a very nice and luxurious hotel 20-30 years ago but there haven't been much renovations here since...

Pros:
- Very friendly staff
- Good location if you need to be in the city centre
- The food in Travelers Restaurant is good
- Nice big flat screen TV with 27 Channels in the rooms

Cons:
- Very old rooms and hallways.
- Old furnitures in the rooms and bed mattress not comfortable.
- Carpets are old and stained. Walls desperately need a fresh coat of paint.
- Swimming pool was under some work and off limits during my stay.
- Long waits for elevators as only one out of three works.
- Hot water tap on the sink not working in my room.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you bring your expectations way below normal Hilton standards.

Room Tip: Apparently Deluxe rooms are a bit better from what I've been told.
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your fine compliments about the outstanding hospitality of our team members and good food served at our restaurant. As well you were happy with the availability of a big flat screen TV with range of channels in your room during your recent stay with us. It is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

With regards of the physical condition of the room, hallways and room facilities, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation. We are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

We further note that you had long waits for the elevators as only one elevator out of three was working, I wish to explain that one of the elevators had experienced mechanical problems which is not a safety risk to any hotel guest or team members and it was temporarily stopped for repair and maintenance. Our service and elevator company has repaired the lift and continues to observe that all is working effectively. The lift in the centre is currently undergoing major reconstruction and will be replaced with a new cabin. The works form part of the renovation process to enhance services to our guests. My profound apologies for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

Our esteemed guest, although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

At check in, they badgered me into an upgrade promising that it was less expensive than paying separately for internet access and breakfast. At checkout, I found out that they charged me $130 PER NIGHT for the upgrade (and, no, the breakfast wasn't anything close to worth that extortionate amount).The upgrade meant that I got a "junior suite" -- a room that was doubled by arching an access to its mirror image. Nothing special (even the fruit in the welcome bowl was well beyond its prime). Add to that, the hotel is under renovation: only 1 of the 3 elevators was in service, the pool was closed, there was hammering and drilling everywhere. As others have noted, this is a dated property that probably just should have been razed and rebuilt. I won't stay here again: there are many better properties in Nairobi (Stanley, Intercontinental and Serena leap to mind). I rated it average only because the security seemed adequate.

Room Tip: The hotel is one of those 1970s round buildings, so all the rooms are pie-shaped.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. We have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you as you indicated in your comment and I am indeed very sorry and sincerely regret that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with.

We noted that only one of the three elevators was working and I wish to explain that one of the elevators had experienced mechanical problems which is not a safety risk to any hotel guest or team members and it was temporarily stopped for repair and maintenance. Our service and elevator company has repaired the lift and continues to observe that all is working effectively.

Dear guest, as our promise to ‘make it right’ for our guests, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!