“Too many hassles for a Hilton-branded property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Too many hassles for a Hilton-branded property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

At check in, they badgered me into an upgrade promising that it was less expensive than paying separately for internet access and breakfast. At checkout, I found out that they charged me $130 PER NIGHT for the upgrade (and, no, the breakfast wasn't anything close to worth that extortionate amount).The upgrade meant that I got a "junior suite" -- a room that was doubled by arching an access to its mirror image. Nothing special (even the fruit in the welcome bowl was well beyond its prime). Add to that, the hotel is under renovation: only 1 of the 3 elevators was in service, the pool was closed, there was hammering and drilling everywhere. As others have noted, this is a dated property that probably just should have been razed and rebuilt. I won't stay here again: there are many better properties in Nairobi (Stanley, Intercontinental and Serena leap to mind). I rated it average only because the security seemed adequate.

Room Tip: The hotel is one of those 1970s round buildings, so all the rooms are pie-shaped.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. We have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you as you indicated in your comment and I am indeed very sorry and sincerely regret that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with.

We noted that only one of the three elevators was working and I wish to explain that one of the elevators had experienced mechanical problems which is not a safety risk to any hotel guest or team members and it was temporarily stopped for repair and maintenance. Our service and elevator company has repaired the lift and continues to observe that all is working effectively.

Dear guest, as our promise to ‘make it right’ for our guests, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide.

582 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

After reading the reviews on TA was in two minds as to whether to use this hotel, however as it was equidistant from my appointment and am a Diamond member, decided to try and by and large was not disappointed.

It is a little tired but it looks like some refurbishment is underway and overall it felt quite clean.

Airport pick up and drop off worked well with modern van and good driver. Timing seems problematic due to somewhat chaotic traffic conditions, coming in it took @ 35 mins, leaving ( not peak hour ) took @ 60 mins, hence suggest you leave a safe margin especially in peak periods when the traffic seemed gridlocked.

Front desk was polite but did need some transportation for the day to take us to different appointments, they referred me to an external company who despite knowing that we were clearly on high level business meetings, provided a totally inappropriate vehicle,( a 4WD van with no air con ) clearly designed for safari and park viewing which was not cheap. Hence if you do require a vehicle would suggest you make your own arrangements other than the airport shuttle which Hotel managed quite well.
I had express laundry to be done and they managed this without fuss within 3 hours.

The Bedroom
I was upgraded and had a rather strange room on 14th floor which was in effect two rooms knocked into one, with two bathrooms, two wardrobes and two doors ( only one functioning ), one room effectively done up as a sitting room. Whilst the set up was a little strange, it did actually work and as I was on business with colleagues, the extra room provided very useful meeting area.
I think my opinion may be different if it was just one room however, think this would be quite small.
Comfortable bed, internet not brilliant, but adequate, no separate shower and quite small bathroom, but functional and clean ( and I had TWO !), Air con was working OK, views of the city quite pleasant.

The Food
Tried the buffet, a la carte ( Italian ) and room service and all quite acceptable quality. Overall service, whilst a little slow ( I felt they were first brewing the beer ) was friendly and largely got it right.

The Executive Lounge
Middle of the range, again a little tired but staff polite and despite the hotel being quite full, was not very crowded which is nice, snacks and drinks quite acceptable.

This is not the best Hilton I have stayed in…..but it is not the worst either ( have stayed in several in Europe that are worse ), maybe I was getting better service and rooms because of Diamond….hard to say. In another city in less challenging environment and no special privileges I would probably rank this at 3 star, but given the African circumstances and as I am feeling kind today and you have to call it as you experienced it…. I have chosen 4 but with advice to the Hotel which formed a large part of my school reports….can do better.

Room Tip: Would go for higher floor and larger rooms if staying more than 2 nights
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read your comment that despite the misgivings, you were very satisfied with your overall experience and we are very happy to see that your airport transfer worked well. I understand you liked our offerings in the restaurants, room service and the variety at the executive lounge your compliments about the outstanding hospitality of our front desk and executive lounge team members and overall service are much appreciated.
We also note that you were pleased with the cleanliness of our rooms. In regards to the dated product, I can gladly inform you that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

As of the internet, I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Dear guest, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile and I have gladly shared your feedback with our team members and the management.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall, my stay was comfortable and I was made to feel very welcome by the friendly and extremely helpful hotel staff. 10 out of 10 for service! The internet is very expensive, some TV channels don't work, no toilet brush in bathroom, and was not advised to take a SA plug adapter as only local/British plugs. Food and drink is way overpriced.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment that some TV Channels did not work, toilet brush was not provided in the bathroom room and you were not advised to come with a SA plug, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; I have shared this comment with all the heads of department concerned to effectively put corrective measures in place and ensure comfort and hassle free stay for our guests.

As of food and drinks prices, I wish to explain that our hotel rates and restaurant offers are at par with all five star hotels within the city and only at independent, small local properties are the prices indeed a lot less. At comparable, high standard properties one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Dear Guest, we are glad to note your comment that your stay was comfortable and more so our team members outstanding hospitality made you feel very welcome. We sincerely appreciate the ‘10’ score rating in our guest satisfaction survey and I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed in Hilton, Nairobi for 11 nights- pretty long for an experience. I found that the staff are very friendly and courteous. However, size of the rooms are comparatively small perhaps because of the typical round structure of the hotel. The functional quality of the inside fittings like the closet, drawers etc. need more care. I did not find them operating effortlessly, which is desired. However, overall you get a very friendly environment.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us and greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests as we constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience having stayed for 11 nights, we sincerely appreciate your compliments about the outstanding hospitality of our team members who provided a friendly environment during your recent stay with us.

With regards of the room size, condition of fittings and fixtures, I am sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation I am pleased to advice that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Of the all the executive suits and hotels that I have stayed, and I basically live in a hotel because I travel so much - the Hilton Nairobi is not value-for-money at all. The Hotel is outdated and for what you get it is over-priced. I guess because it is central they feel that they can over-charge. The staff are great though

Dear guest

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

Unfortunately we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us, as you indicated in your trip advisor comment; my sincerest apologies for this. However with regards of the physical condition of the hotel, I wish to inform you that we are currently in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We note with great concern your comment about our prices, although they may be high, they are at par with all other five star hotels within the city and we shall take this opportunity to review the market situation.

I am glad to note your compliments to the hospitality of our team members and we thank you for your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
The team and I are already looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

rooms are very small and the staff are non-professional.The restaurant is too expensive for the quantity of food they serve but buffet breakfast was good.
The swimming pool,steam,sauna and massage centre and good to relax and especially the aroma massage is good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards to the size of our rooms and I wish to advice that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

As of our team being non professionals, this comes rather as a surprise to us considering the very many good comments we receive daily through trip advisor and our Hilton customer satisfaction survey. Kindly accept my sincerest apologies that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, if there is any specific area that you felt was not professionally addressed, I would kindly request you to give us more information to enable us put corrective measures in place.

With regards of our prices, although they may be high, they are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local properties are the prices indeed a lot less. At comparable, high standard properties one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Nevertheless, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed our health club facilities and our breakfast.

Our esteemed guest, although we have not been able to fully meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

sharjah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hotel is ok. Right in the centre of the city. Traffic is crazy in this area. Rooms are small and very old. Shower needs to be fixed in most rooms and overall all rooms need to be renovated. Breakfast spread is decent. In room dining needs improvement. Overall for $211 you could get a better hotel few mins outside the centre of the city.

Dear Guest,

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of our facility and fixtures, I am indeed very sorry and regret that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. We are currently in the process of a master plan renovation-preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.
Likewise we noted your observation that our In-room dinning needs improvement and shared the information with our executive chef for review and our services offered shall be rectified.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the location of our property.

Esteemed guest, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and I personally look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!