After reading the reviews on TA was in two minds as to whether to use this hotel, however as it was equidistant from my appointment and am a Diamond member, decided to try and by and large was not disappointed.
It is a little tired but it looks like some refurbishment is underway and overall it felt quite clean.
Airport pick up and drop off worked well with modern van and good driver. Timing seems problematic due to somewhat chaotic traffic conditions, coming in it took @ 35 mins, leaving ( not peak hour ) took @ 60 mins, hence suggest you leave a safe margin especially in peak periods when the traffic seemed gridlocked.
Front desk was polite but did need some transportation for the day to take us to different appointments, they referred me to an external company who despite knowing that we were clearly on high level business meetings, provided a totally inappropriate vehicle,( a 4WD van with no air con ) clearly designed for safari and park viewing which was not cheap. Hence if you do require a vehicle would suggest you make your own arrangements other than the airport shuttle which Hotel managed quite well.
I had express laundry to be done and they managed this without fuss within 3 hours.
I was upgraded and had a rather strange room on 14th floor which was in effect two rooms knocked into one, with two bathrooms, two wardrobes and two doors ( only one functioning ), one room effectively done up as a sitting room. Whilst the set up was a little strange, it did actually work and as I was on business with colleagues, the extra room provided very useful meeting area.
I think my opinion may be different if it was just one room however, think this would be quite small.
Comfortable bed, internet not brilliant, but adequate, no separate shower and quite small bathroom, but functional and clean ( and I had TWO !), Air con was working OK, views of the city quite pleasant.
Tried the buffet, a la carte ( Italian ) and room service and all quite acceptable quality. Overall service, whilst a little slow ( I felt they were first brewing the beer ) was friendly and largely got it right.
The Executive Lounge
Middle of the range, again a little tired but staff polite and despite the hotel being quite full, was not very crowded which is nice, snacks and drinks quite acceptable.
This is not the best Hilton I have stayed in…..but it is not the worst either ( have stayed in several in Europe that are worse ), maybe I was getting better service and rooms because of Diamond….hard to say. In another city in less challenging environment and no special privileges I would probably rank this at 3 star, but given the African circumstances and as I am feeling kind today and you have to call it as you experienced it…. I have chosen 4 but with advice to the Hotel which formed a large part of my school reports….can do better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the city's heart, the Hilton Nairobi hotel is next to the craft market and 25 minutes' drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Enjoy global dishes at the Traveller's Restaurant, try fine Italian cuisine at Sale E Pepe Restaurant or have a pint at the Hilton Nairobi hotel's Jockey Pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Hilton International Nairobi
- Nairobi Hilton International