“Over priced with very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hilton Nairobi to your Saves list
Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #34 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
“Over priced with very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel looks beautiful on the outside and it has a convenient location if you have meetings within the city. The hotel staff however are another story. Right from the receptionist we found. She was very unhelpful. My room had a dirty bathroom with the shower head spitting water at me. My colleague and i had asked for rooms on a higher floor, we were told they were not available. Another colleague from Europe asked for that very floor and the receptionist smiled real pretty and got him one as we looked on. Considering the price they ask, over $200 a night, you would expect free internet-sadly they ask you to pay separately for that. I was not able to leave early enough as my room was prepaid but i would have left after my first night. I will not be going back there...maybe to use the gym-which i really liked. For the name they carry, they should be doing better.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better and ask for a room that does not directly face the elevator-less noise that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am a South African and perhaps we are spoiled when it comes to hotels. For about $130 I can get a beautiful 3 star hotel that is modern, clean and has friendly staff. I have stayed in many Hilton Hotels around the world and know what standard to expect. The Hilton is centrally located and cost me just over $200 per night without breakfast. I was happy to pay that, knowing that this will be a 4 star service. I couldnt believe how old the hotel was. It hasnt been renovated since the late 80s, by the looks of things.I had a run-in with the hotel manager when no turn-down service was performed because my laptop was on the bed.What rubbish! Because my room was prepaid i couldnt exactly leave and go elsewhere. But for the same price I would have stayed at Sankara. It was modern, hip, clean and great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manuela B, Director of Operation at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi although I regretfully see that we did not manage to meet your expectation during this stay.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of our property. I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation, but I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. However, we highly appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

As of the turndown service, I sincerely apologize that this was not done in your room. I have shared this with our executive Housekeeper to address it with her team.

Although we did not meet your expectation, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Haarlem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed one night before going off on safari. The hotel is in a need of a facelift (including in the bathroom). The dining areas are a bit average compared to the Hiltons in Europe but the food itself is very good and the breakfast service also good. The extra facilities such as gym and outdoor swimming pool are also good. The shape of the hotel (a rotunda) means the hotel rooms are a funny shape and you loose some space. Staff in the pubn area were friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our physical status of our facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We thank you and appreciate the fine compliment you make about the hospitality of our team members. We also are glad to note that you enjoyed our food, breakfast service and facilities like gym and outdoor swimming. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

HILTON NAIROBI
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The experience that my wife and I had at the Hilton Nairobi was the absolute best that we have ever had at any Hilton property worldwide. The staff was exceptionally helpful from the front desk to the executive lounge to the dinning service staff in the restaurant. The upkeep of the hotel and the room was magnificent. Any expressed need was immediately attended to by very able and friendly staff. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler without reservation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We thank you and appreciate your positive comment that you and your wife had indeed a wonderful time at the Hilton Nairobi, I am glad to note that you enjoyed our team members hospitality in all areas, upkeep of our rooms and quick response whenever need arises. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at the Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Unlike many other hotels from the Hilton chain, the Nairobi Hilton has some local touch, especially at the executive lounge. Enjoy the breakfast there, or a comfotable afternoon tea. The rooms are quite spacy. A good place to come back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the African touch that compliments our service, especially at the executive lounge it being regarded as generally a good place to be. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Tananarive, Antananarivo, Madagascar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The very first thing i like about this hotel is, it serves as a mark/reference point while in town, because it is at the center of nairobi city and everyone knows it so it is difficult to get lost.

Accommodation services are good and reservations are possible.

The hotel is close to all kind of supermarket and so making it easier to shop around.

One important advice: beware of conman.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have good city view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you liked the location of our property which serves as a reference point while in town and closer to major business outlets. We also appreciate your good compliments about our services.

With regards of conmen, I wish to explain that, like other major towns in the world, safety is not guaranteed within the city therefore we do advice our guests to move around with caution or take a taxi where necessary.

With kind regards.

Antwerpen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is located in the. Heartache city so the location is ok.
The lobby, restaurant and executive lounge are well maintained and look up to date.
The rooms however need refurbishment. The room we had provided all the necessary like 2 bathrooms, separate saloon, separate bedroom however the outlook of the room washout of date.
Staff tried to falsely charge inclusive service and tried to put my partner, Kenyan, under pressure for it. It only stopped when she referred them to me.
Breakfast offer is varied.
Food is overpriced.

• Stayed November 2012
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you liked the location of our property and the status of maintenance that keeps it up to date. We also appreciate your comment that our room facilities are all inclusive, although dated; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We thank you very much for your nice comments about our breakfast variety, Believe me, it is positive comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

With regards of food prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We have also noted with great concern about our staff who tried to falsely charge you and your partner for inclusive service. I sincerely apologize for this rare occurrence. However, to further investigate the issue, kindly give us your reservation details and disputed charge thereafter as this will enable me to revert back with proper feedback.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!