“Outdated rooms and overpriced food” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Antwerpen
“Outdated rooms and overpriced food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is located in the. Heartache city so the location is ok.
The lobby, restaurant and executive lounge are well maintained and look up to date.
The rooms however need refurbishment. The room we had provided all the necessary like 2 bathrooms, separate saloon, separate bedroom however the outlook of the room washout of date.
Staff tried to falsely charge inclusive service and tried to put my partner, Kenyan, under pressure for it. It only stopped when she referred them to me.
Breakfast offer is varied.
Food is overpriced.

• Stayed November 2012
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you liked the location of our property and the status of maintenance that keeps it up to date. We also appreciate your comment that our room facilities are all inclusive, although dated; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We thank you very much for your nice comments about our breakfast variety, Believe me, it is positive comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

With regards of food prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We have also noted with great concern about our staff who tried to falsely charge you and your partner for inclusive service. I sincerely apologize for this rare occurrence. However, to further investigate the issue, kindly give us your reservation details and disputed charge thereafter as this will enable me to revert back with proper feedback.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at the Hilton Nairobi!
The thing we loved most was the delicious food that was served
We did however feel that the decor was very drab and the hotel was in need of an urgent refurb.
We upgraded to a junior suite and although the room size was quite decent, the decor, and slight mouldy smell left a lot to be desired.
This hotel has much potential to be an excellent hotel with modernization etc.

Room Tip: Book in advance and shop around for a good deal
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you had a pleasant stay in our property and appreciate your comment that you enjoyed our food most. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

However, we have also noted your comment with regards of the physical status of our facility and the decors, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

As of slight mould smell in the room, I am sincerely sorry for this should not be the case. I wish to explain that as our windows cannot open, musty smell is experienced occasionally if the room has not been aired properly; My apologies for the room not having been aired properly, I have discussed this with the executive housekeeper to address with her team. We do use a special air fresher machine for this, but it seems we omitted this for your room.

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If this Nairobi hotel represents Hilton standards, then I am afraid that the chain is in real trouble. I have stayed in better 15 dollar a night motels on road trips in Latin America, than this so called Hilton property. The rooms are really old, frayed, ill maintained and quite small; definitely not worth the nearly USD 250 which I paid. The towels in the bathroom had a greyish hue of a lot of washing cycles, instead of the normal white color of newer towels. The room had a peculiar odor and the WC was really old and ill maintained, the bathroom floor had not been cleaned properly. On top of every other problem even the television was not functioning.

Hilton will have to make an extra special effort to win back my confidence as a customer, after having subjected me to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards to physical status of our facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your resent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. As of cleanliness and discoloured towels, I have shared the information with our executive housekeeper to review the situation and take corrective measures.

We have also noted your comment with regards of peculiar odour in the room, I wish to explain that as our windows cannot be opened, musty smell is experienced occasionally if the room has not been aired properly; My apologies for the room not having been aired properly, I have discussed this with the executive housekeeper to address with her team. We do use a special air fresher machine for this, but it seems we omitted this for your room.

As a goodwill gesture and to demonstrate our commitment to customer satisfaction, I would like to offer you a free upgrade to our Executive Floor, upon availability in case you change your mind to stay with us in future.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

With kind regards.

Gurgaon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Though the hotel is little run down and getting old .it still has that charm ...and also was not aware about any good options in city center of nairobi ...given the security concerns as well .

The rooms are decent ( definately needs upgradation ) , however staff is so friendly and will try to make ur stay as comfortable as possible ...
the pool side garden and lawn is amazing place ..given the litter all around nairobi ...finding a clean , green place in city is a bliss .

Good food options ....
it all comes at african price , which is kinda on higher side ....

Room Tip: Take lawns facing rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members. We also thank you for the positive comment about our good food options, pool side garden and lawn. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of the physical status of our property, I am sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Every staff member we encountered was exceptional. Catherine, our room attendant was outstanding. Every morning she greeted us with a big smile and asked if we happy about our room and if there was anything we needed. I will remember her for a long time.

The hotel is severely in need of renovation. Our room was depressing and in serious need of decorating.. The bed was uncomfortable and old. The linens, duvet and pillows were something I would expect in a 2 star hotel. This is by far the worst Hilton we have ever stay in.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.
We thank you and appreciate your positive comment about the outstanding team members hospitality, especially Catherine our room steward who ensured your comfort throughout your stay; I have gladly shared this with her and the team. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

As of the physical status of our property, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a few nights at the Hilton Nairobi and was very satisfied with it. While pricey it has a great location and staff were tremendous. We had a particular request and they went over what we expected. The rooms were a bit tired and old but nice and roomy. Internet probably best I had in Kenya. Exec lounge not massive but well stocked and courteous staff. Happy to have stayed.

• Stayed April 2012
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you and appreciate the fine compliment you make about the outstanding hospitality of our team members, good internet and nice rooms, although looking tired, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Bathrooms are extremely old (I actually think the bathrooms are as old as the building - probably early 80s or late 70s...). They were clean but they are definitely in need of a refurbishment considering this is a Hilton Hotel.

Rooms are well appointed (like you'd expect from a traditional Hilton). But the phone in my room didn't work.

Service in the hotel was good. Staff knew their job. The location is great, right in the center of NAirobi.

Overall a good hotel, except for the fact that the rooms and bathrooms need a renovation.,

Room Tip: High Floor will give a nicer view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our property, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. We appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your fine compliment about the hospitality of our team members and service. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!