“Beautiful space if a bit old” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 33%
Ranked #39 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful space if a bit old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I used to just come to this hotel to have a drink with friends on the roof deck, which is absolutely gorgeous and a great space to get people together for a party or happy hour, but I recently stayed overnight and really loved the hotel despite the fact that the building is a bit old.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.
We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate your positive comments about our facilities’. As of the condition of the building, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here in February and March 2013 on my arrival and departure to Kenya. As an Hilton Gold member I was pleased to get a room at the executive floor with access to the lounge. This makes the stay more relaxed with free drinks and snack in the evening. It is nice to have a pool (specially given the weather and after a dusty two and half weeks in Nakuru). The hotel is a bit outdated, but everything seem to work and was clean. I would not say very good, but good (3.5points).

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. It is indeed a great pleasure to serving you and we appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is with much pleasure to note that you enjoyed all the complimentary services that came about with your loyalty to our family of hotels. We do not have any other better way to thank our esteemed guests’ but to ensure that they have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We also thank you for your compliments with regard of cleanliness and effectiveness of all facilities; Although the property is a bit dated, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

With kind regards.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Like many reviews before the main feeling you get at the Hilton is that the actual building is very old, this means lifts out of order or very slow, odd shaped rooms with small bathrooms. But these are things you cannot change without rebuilding and the Hilton is something of an icon on the Nairobi skyline.

It's also worth noting where you are, for all it's financial developments and improvements this is still a African developing country where supplies, infrastructure and consistency will always be a chanllenge to any city centre hotel.

So, to the hotel;
The staff are friendly and engaging, my check-in girl was very helpful and knew all the Hilton Honours benefits I was entitled to and that I'd be getting a complimentary room upgrade. This set the tone for almost all the staff i met during my stay, friendl, helpful and informative. Again it helps to remember you are in a country where hotel workers are not paid that well and a small tip can make a difference!

The room, well as mentioned i was upgraded to an exec room which is bascially 2 standard room joined by an archway. 1 room is converted into a sitting room with a sofabed, chairs and table. The other side is your bedroom with large double bed vanity table, there is a HUGE tv sitting on the minibar under the archway and can swivel 180degrees so you can watch it from bed or sitting area. there is daily drinking water provided and the minibar has the standard alcohol and chocolate/snacks. What I found quite funny is that they have kept both bathrooms on each side and both are quite small. My recommendation would be to use the entrance space on the bedroom side as an extension to the bathroom. thre is adequate wardrobe space with shelving but no drawers. the bedrooms are carpeted and I think it could do with a wash and shampoo, but the rest of the room is very clean and well maintained. You get tea/coffee making facilites as well as iron/ironing board, hair-dryer and room safe, there are numerous electrical outlets dotted around for your charging needs, these are standard UK (3pin) type.

The public areas, I visited the gym/health club regularly. It is small but has a good range of equipment and a seperate studio are. there are 3treasmill, 3bikes, 2cross trainers and a rowing machine for cardio. Gym equipment for most types of weight lifting and a small range of free weights. There is sauna/steam room available and good changing rooms. The pool looks nice and big (but I dont swim so never used it), the poolside bar is anice place to relax in the shade when the Kenyan sun is blazing down on you. The exec lounge is very small and is probably the 1 place I would like to see updated to have more lounge seating, although most of the time I was there it was empty so this is possibly not a highly used feature of the hotel.

The restaurant, well I only had breakfast in the main restaurant as it was included in the price, the range of food is good, cereals, cold meats, american and african hot food, pastires and bread and a small selection of fruit (maybe this depends on the season?). the waiters/aitresses walk around and ask if you want tea/coffee or juice and sometimes you do have to work a bit to get their attention, but nothing major and something I have come across thoughout my journerys. There is also a pub which is a pleasent place to unwind after work and have a cold Tusker, but you're likely to end up chatting away to an expat, young lady or safari tourist, so best avoided if you want alone time. On a few occassions I had to order room service and the range of food available is decent and served up nicely presented and of very good quality. The prices are high but these kinds of services come at a price so no complaints here.

Tips;
Do not exchange money at the front desk, if you must echange in-house use the CBA bank branch that is next to the coffee shop in the lobby, for a 30second detour you get a few more shillings per $.
the laundry service is unbeliveably high, unless you have a suit or similar, bring some travel wash and do your smalls yourself, there is a line you can pull across the bath-tup to dry them.
If you ae getting a hotel cab ask the bell captain how much you should pay beforehand and get him to agree it with the cab driver.
Take a walk around the block, for all the dangers and tourist trappings, a walk around the block will give you a good feel for the place without being too far from the safety of the hotel.

Nairobi
I generally went out in the evening to an area called Westlands, there are many bars, pubs, restaurants and nightlife. Gypsies, Brew Bistro are a couple of my favourites. If you have time visit Carnivore, a huge restaurant with seperate club area, they serve meat fresh from a huge open pit BBQ and have seasonal game meat like ostrich or aligator. There is also a place called Galilieo which is a little more upmarket but open til 6 I think. Street crime and particularly pickpocketing is still a real problem in Nairobi, so don't go out wearing lots of jewellery and blingy watches, leave your credit cards in the hotel safe if possible and just carry enough cash for your dinner/drinks, get a number from your cab driver and try to stick to using him or his company.

Room Tip: I stayed in 14-08 and had the sun from midday until sunset, so I guess rooms x-00 to x06 have more o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comments with regards of the physical status of our hotel, condition of the lifts and size of the rooms, I am indeed very sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectation but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this, construction of new elevators is already underway.

We thank you and appreciate your good comment about our facilities, room amenities and compliments about our team members’ hospitality. Although at the restaurant some of the service team members were not attentive, be rest assured that corrective measures will be taken to enhance the service delivery.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and that you completely enjoyed every moment that you had here in Kenya. Believe me it is comments such as yours that make all efforts at the Hilton Nairobi truly worthwhile.

Our esteemed guest, we place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Even with the best of intentions it is difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. This is an old property in need of a major makeover or, better still, demolition. The fact that one pays USD350 a night builds an expectation of "something" that never eventuates. The executive floors reflect the fact that it is difficult to offer somethiing special other than a sitting room.

One clear upside is that the property is situated 150 metres from the Nairobi Java House which, IMO, has the best coffee in the world

Dear Guest,
We have noted your comment with regards of very old traditional decor style, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We have noted your comment that our rooms are tidy and clean; as well that you liked the location. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

was there for a couple of days with family, i was the only one who left the hotel! good central location, really nice pool area, very clean and staff very good, expensive for snacks and meals as you would expect,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We appreciate your nice compliments about our team members, location and cleanliness of our hotel. As of the meals and snack prices, I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Nevertheless, we do appreciate your honest feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

With kind regards.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Excellent, polite, caring staff! Could not ask for more. We took a walk outside and were surprised as to how many small children were put up by their mothers to beg from tourists walking down a main avenue that is well lite and well frequented. The Nairobi Hilton staff were even kind enough to help us locate a house of worship for the next day, Sunday! We were amazed, breath taken by the extreme kindness and wonder of this city and house of worship!! Thank you staff for your incredible hospitality and professionalism. We will always remember you!

Room Tip: Any room that is higher up is great!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments about our team members outstanding hospitality as well being resourceful of information. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and that you were overjoyed by the wonders of the city and the house of worship. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts at Hilton Nairobi truly worthwhile.

Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Had a few business days here. Was a reasonable base for travels in busy Nairobi traffic. Very traditional decor style, though feeling old nowadays. Room tidy and clean. Good business facilities on location. Serves as a base if you out and about. Did not use pool or gym.

• Stayed January 2013

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!