“Quite Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Quite Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Nairobi on several different occasions, but this was my first stay at a Hilton as a Gold member. I found the check-in process quite efficient and I was happy to have gotten a free room upgrade from a Queen Hilton guest room to a King Hilton Executive room with access to the club lounge. I found the room to be up to standard and the Internet access was complimentary for Gold and Diamond Hilton members (charge was equally credited). I find the CBD of Nairobi to be fairly safe and have never had a problem walking around the area at night to visit any of the nearby restaurants, hotels, or stores. I always use Safaricom mobile broadband when in Kenya which costs about 1000 KSH (~12USD for 1.5Gb service, so I only used the complimentary hotel wifi to use my iPad. I plan to add the Hiton Nairobi in rotation of hotels I will stay when visiting Nairobi.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
martin v, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and that you enjoyed our hhonours complimentary services. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile. It is our pride to ensure that our esteemed and loyal guests like you get to experience the feeling of Hilton being a home away from home.

With kind regards,
Yours sincerely

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
globalflyereal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel has a shuttle service for a fee to/from the airport and is best to book in advance. Traffic is a nightmare from the airport to the city so allow plenty of time! Security is very tight and all cars are screened by security and then as are guests before entering the building. The staff were all very friendly. The hotel is old but well maintained. There are several restaurants and bars located. I stayed in the Executive level and actually had a two room suite though it was not called a suite. 2 full washrooms in the room too. The executive club is excellent and unlimited food and drinks in cluding alcohol throughout the day.. You have to sign for it but it is complimentary. I took a half day safari that I booked through the hotel...about $175 per person for 4 hours at the Nairobi City Park. I had a guide named Dennis who was very knowledgeable about the park and the animals. The food both in the restaurants and room service was fantastic. The Italian dishes were what you would find in Italy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We thank you and appreciate the fine compliments you make about our facilities, services, security and outstanding team members hospitality. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and enjoyed your trip to the Nairobi city park guided by Dennis, I have gladly share this with him. We are also happy to note that you enjoyed your food both in the restaurant and room service, especially Italian dishes which tasted original. Believe me, it is comment such as yours that make all efforts, at Hilton Nairobi, truly worthwhile.

With kind regards.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The Nairobi Hilton is right in the centre of town. There are the normal blocks which ensure you do not escape! There is one main restaurant (buffet style) which is good for breakfast but average for dinner. The bar lacks atmosphere and is frequented by ladies seeking work. The rooms are a little dated and could do with an upgrade. There is not outside space but the staff are helpful and can arrange things for you. I have had problems with taxi bookings here - taxis booked not being booked causing difficulties.

The City is not a place to walk around and certainly not alone. You do need to take care and this hotel is very central. however it is a reasonable standard and for a couple of nights I am sure you will find it OK, but little more.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are much larger and better decorated that the "de luxe" rooms which ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comment with regards to the presence of ladies at our Jockey bar, we concur with you that they exist and we do try to limit the same as much as possible, but being in hospitality industry where we are meant to serve all our guests with dignity and uphold their privacy across the board, we cannot be very quick to judge. However, when they behave in such a manner that causes disturbance to other guests, action is taken promptly, and at times we have them escorted off the premises by our security team.
As of the condition of our facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have already been installed.
Nevertheless, we appreciate the fine compliments you make about helpfulness of our team members and we are glad to know that you enjoyed breakfast. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
With regards to safety while walking around the city, like other cities in the world 100% security is not guaranteed, however we advice our guests to walk with caution and guide them on areas to walk or use a taxi where necessary.
Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

MANUELA BRODE

Director of Operations
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

OK hotel with small-ish rooms, but over $20 per day for internet use - per device, that is!!

Paid $90 per night for an upgrade but all we got was access to breakfast and snacks at the club lounge - no room change and still no internet included.

Would not stay here again. The Fairview Resort is much nicer, fairly close and has free internet too!

Room Tip: don't buy the upgrade!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the size of the room, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

With regard of internet cost, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. We do however have a so called Business Plus Package, where apart from an upgrade to a next level room type, unlimited internet access is included in the room rate with a small surcharge.

We have also noted your comment that you paid for upgrade but you got only access to breakfast and snacks at the executive lounge and no room change. I am sincerely very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I kindly request you to contact us directly with your full details to enable us investigate and give you a comprehensive feedback on the matter.

We appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.
I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again or any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Tallinn, Estonia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I paid 313 dollars for a small unfurbished room without access to breakfast or internet... Make your own conclusion. The location of the hotel is excellent but then again there are other hotels nearby too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the physical status of our property comparing to the value, and sincerely apologize for we have not been able to meet your expectation. However, I take the opportunity to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have already been installed and construction of new elevators is ongoing.

We have also noted that you liked the location and as well appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the nicest hotel in Nairobi's central business district. The rooms are quite comfortable, even though some past reviewers have said outdated. Still, they take very good care of you here and will make any arrangement for sightseeing or business that you need. The pool area is very relaxing and the restaurants are good. The room service is extraordinarily quick and the food quite good. But, mostly, it is the kindness, competence and friendliness of the staff that make this hotel such a nice place to stay -- particularly if you are staying in Nairobi for more than a few days. I would highly recommend the Hilton Nairobi.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor where you can enjoy the views of the city, although even the rooms on the low...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the outstanding compliments you make about our team members friendliness and knowledge, the good food and quick service. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We spent two nights at Hilton hotel in Nairobi. Overall one can feel safe here, but prices at restaurant are too high. Meanwhile breakfest buffet is nice. Rooms are clean and quite. Staff is friendly and helpful. Location is good as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality, good breakfast and facilities. I am also glad to note that you liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

As of the prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!