“Excellent service, great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #47 of 134 Hotels in Nairobi
New York, New York, United States
“Excellent service, great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Ok, I almost chopped off my husband's head off when he booked this hotel and I read the reviews. I was total discouraged by what I had read and the plan was to spend just one night and move to a different hotel. Seriously! This is one of the best hilton hotel yet! We were greeted at the front desk by Ezekiel who was full of smiles at about 1am. Since my husband is a silver honor member, we were put on the 9th floor, with a fantastic view, away from the noise and the bustle of the early morning rush. The rooms are very clean, the bed is amazing. The entire decor of the hotel starting from the lobby to the restaurant is vintage. Yep the rooms still have old fashion televisions but who cares! As long as I can watch all the cable channels. Breakfast is fantastic with a wide variety of options the dinner buffet, not so much. Everyone is very friendly and polite. I will definitely stay have over! and over!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are very glad to note that you were happy and satisfied with your overall experience and as well appreciate the good comment you make about the hospitality of our team members during your recent visit to us. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

The Hilton team places great value on your custom and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.
On behalf of the entire Hilton Nairobi team, may I take this opportunity to wish you and your family happy Season’s Greetings and a prosperous 2013.

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I travelled to the Hilton Nairobi in September for a work event. The service pre-event and at the hotel was excellent. Staff were always helpful and went the extra mile to ensure you had everything you needed.

The best rooms are the lower rooms located around the pool. Outside of this, all of the rooms could do with a refurbishment (modern televisions, some new soft furnishings etc).

Would recommend to business travellers and those looking for a central stop gap if travelling through Nairobi to somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool, they come with a patio area and seem more spacious than some...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

At the same time, I am pleased to advice that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed in a room on one of the executive floors. While the decor is slightly outdated for a hotel in this class, the service was impeccable. We stayed two nights and I asked about a late check out. Querying my flight details I told them I had train in the evening. It wasn't a problem if I wanted stay until 6pm! The staff couldn't be more accommodating. There was a good range of food and drinks available in the lounge. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members and good range of food; I have gladly shared this with the team and management. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Our team members and me, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Prince George
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff. Apart from that, there are not a lot of good reasons to stay in this old, tired hotel. Everything is old- bathrooms, air con, TV, beds. Breakfast is fine and it is clean enough but I expect there are better places out there for the cost,.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members, good breakfast as well as overall cleanliness; I have gladly shared this with our management and teams.

As of the status of the facility, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed the end of 2012.
Nevertheless, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Built in the 70’s, this is now a very old hotel. The main problem with so many of these establishments, especially in places like ‘darkest Africa’ is that minimal maintenance is done in the intervening period. This Hilton is a good example and fittings and features throughout the hotel are starting to look more than a little tired. Carpets & curtains have become a little faded. Lots of small things don’t work...like elevator buttons not operating, hot water coming out of the cold tap, electronic door keys unreliable...all trivia but annoying.

You feel that you are in a bit of a war zone when arriving at the front entrance as there are a number of chain barriers; this is all the result of the major bombing of the US Embassy only several hundred yards away some twenty years ago. Security is very tight at all times.

The staff are pleasant and friendly although not always terribly effective. (Check-out took three times as long as it should due to the card readers not working properly.)

Breakfast is excellent with a good range of foods available.

The room itself is an odd shape resulting from the conical construction of the hotel. (It must have been a nightmare to construct with all those odd angles!) Otherwise it is quite well appointed and overall no complaints generally. The TV, while it does just work, is the conventional type and well past its ‘sell by’ date. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom quite adequate and well supplied.

I am told that our group rate is $US190 per night which is reasonable I suppose. It’s just disappointing to see a nice hotel so much in need of a makeover.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests’ have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012. However, we appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

As of tight security around the facility, thank you for your observation; I hope this will find your understanding that our guests’ and team members security is paramount and for this reason we have taken precautionary measures as per the Hilton security standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality and our breakfast. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

USA/UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As many other reviewers have indicated, the Nairobi Hilton is definitely dated & not really up to the usual standards you expect of a Hilton.
But, having said that, there is nothing really wrong with it - the rooms, though very drab are clean & have everything most travelers would need, the hotel is in a very central location in the heart of the city, the hotel has the usual array of services/restaurants/bar/etc. (Breakfast is a ridiculous $32!)
Your satisfaction will probably depend on what you pay - I used HHonors points & paid nothing so I was happy enough, but if I'd paid the quoted rate of US$280 I would have been very unhappy. For that price, or if you want real 4 star+ quality you can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards to our pricing compared to the facility, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your honest and constructive feedback especially coming from our esteemed Hhonor guest, for this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

With kind regards.

Yours sincerely

Aalborg, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton two nights returning after 6 years. Not much had changed and I doubt any investments into improvements have been made at all during that time. The rooms are small, bed mattresses not very comfy. TVs are very old and small. Worst thing is the price which was horrid - nearly USD 300 per night - not good value at all. In the pool bar, service was slow and the food awful. All in all the last time I have stayed here. Would not recommend it.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in the comment; my sincerest apologies for this; but we appreciate your critical and honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our facility compared to the pricing, I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

As of slow service at the pool bar and awful food, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; however, I have shared this information with our food and beverage manager and the executive chef to take corrective measures.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

With kind regards.