“A Very Tired Hilton...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“A Very Tired Hilton...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Built in the 70’s, this is now a very old hotel. The main problem with so many of these establishments, especially in places like ‘darkest Africa’ is that minimal maintenance is done in the intervening period. This Hilton is a good example and fittings and features throughout the hotel are starting to look more than a little tired. Carpets & curtains have become a little faded. Lots of small things don’t work...like elevator buttons not operating, hot water coming out of the cold tap, electronic door keys unreliable...all trivia but annoying.

You feel that you are in a bit of a war zone when arriving at the front entrance as there are a number of chain barriers; this is all the result of the major bombing of the US Embassy only several hundred yards away some twenty years ago. Security is very tight at all times.

The staff are pleasant and friendly although not always terribly effective. (Check-out took three times as long as it should due to the card readers not working properly.)

Breakfast is excellent with a good range of foods available.

The room itself is an odd shape resulting from the conical construction of the hotel. (It must have been a nightmare to construct with all those odd angles!) Otherwise it is quite well appointed and overall no complaints generally. The TV, while it does just work, is the conventional type and well past its ‘sell by’ date. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom quite adequate and well supplied.

I am told that our group rate is $US190 per night which is reasonable I suppose. It’s just disappointing to see a nice hotel so much in need of a makeover.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests’ have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012. However, we appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

As of tight security around the facility, thank you for your observation; I hope this will find your understanding that our guests’ and team members security is paramount and for this reason we have taken precautionary measures as per the Hilton security standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality and our breakfast. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

With kind regards

MANUELA BRODE I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
USA/UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

As many other reviewers have indicated, the Nairobi Hilton is definitely dated & not really up to the usual standards you expect of a Hilton.
But, having said that, there is nothing really wrong with it - the rooms, though very drab are clean & have everything most travelers would need, the hotel is in a very central location in the heart of the city, the hotel has the usual array of services/restaurants/bar/etc. (Breakfast is a ridiculous $32!)
Your satisfaction will probably depend on what you pay - I used HHonors points & paid nothing so I was happy enough, but if I'd paid the quoted rate of US$280 I would have been very unhappy. For that price, or if you want real 4 star+ quality you can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards to our pricing compared to the facility, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your honest and constructive feedback especially coming from our esteemed Hhonor guest, for this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

Aalborg, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at the Hilton two nights returning after 6 years. Not much had changed and I doubt any investments into improvements have been made at all during that time. The rooms are small, bed mattresses not very comfy. TVs are very old and small. Worst thing is the price which was horrid - nearly USD 300 per night - not good value at all. In the pool bar, service was slow and the food awful. All in all the last time I have stayed here. Would not recommend it.

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in the comment; my sincerest apologies for this; but we appreciate your critical and honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests’.

We have noted your comment with regards of the condition of our facility compared to the pricing, I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

As of slow service at the pool bar and awful food, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; however, I have shared this information with our food and beverage manager and the executive chef to take corrective measures.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I spent two days in both the Hilton and Intercontinental in Nairobi and visited the Serena and would recommend the Intercontinental and Serena over the Hilton. The Hilton has dreadful rooms, they probably have not been upgraded since the 1970's. The restaurant is like a motorway service station and in general I found the staff unmotivated and not classic Kenyan friendly. Dont stay here when the other options are in the same area and at the same price!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards of the physical status of our rooms, I am indeed very sorry for we not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

As of our staff being unmotivated and not friendly, this comes as a bit of a surprise as usually we do receive very good comments about our team members friendliness and outstanding hospitality as we can see on the so called SALT questionnaires we receive daily as well as trip advisor comments.

However, we appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I spent three nights at this hotel and was mildly disappointed. I had a room on the pool deck, backing onto the Nairobi central bus station which was noisy. The standard of my room was well off the mark, it needed a long over due 'sprucing up' or re-decorating. Scuffed and stained walls, tatty curtains, damaged woodwork and doors. this may have changed since my stay. Bedding was clean and aircon was good, the bathroom was not impressive. In room WIFI was okay. The lobby and reception area were palatial and check staff were polite and reasonably efficient. The pool area is too small and cramped.

Room Tip: avoid the pool deck rooms due to noise from the bus station.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of our property. I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. However, we highly appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. As of the noise, we are sincerely sorry for the discomfort and inconvenience caused to you.

We also thank you and appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ hospitality and some of the room facilities that you liked. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

It is a safe hotel in the center of everything. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable. I think breakfast was poor for a hilton but its ok.
I didnt try the clubs because there is a very funny life outside in nairobi

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards to the quality of our breakfast, this comes as a bit of a surprise as usually we do receive good comments about our food as we can see from the so called SALT questionnaires we receive daily from other hotel guests, but I have discussed with our executive chef and food and beverage manager to review. However, we appreciate your honest feedback for this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We also appreciate and thank you for the fine compliment you make about our team members hospitality, safety within the property, cleanliness and comfort in our room. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager
Nuneaton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As a Silver Elite Hilton loyalty card holder, I booked this property for the most obvious reason. Like many of the TripAdvisor reviews, it was clearly a big mistake. The staff were excellent and very freindly and welcoming and the food wasn't bad but this did not make up, in anyway, for what I can only think was zero guestroom investment for the last 20-30 years - indeed, back to the '70's - and fpr what was paid for each nigh, EXCLUDING breakfast and any kind of meal, it was a great disappointment and very expensive. In the light of new hotels either in place (Eka, Ole Serena etc.) and others to come, (Radisson BLU), I can only think that the hotel had better close for a total refurbishment and quick ! In a very competitive market, this property is way, way behind and having stayed at the new Hilton at Heathrow T5 on the Sunday before flying, the two hotels are world's apart. The General Managers News letter in the room promised of new flat panel TV's for the rooms but this will, by no means, address the fundamental issues of decor that have been so sorely overlooked/bypassed over many years. Plumbing incredibly noisy, lift noise constant until late at night, no sound proofing from other guest rooms, furniture falling apart or absent (no drawer unit), curtains that barely closed, horrible yellowed hairdryer units, noisy mini-bar fan, slow internet speeds (which were also charged!), CRT TV's (portable size - which weren't even tuned properly), 12-15 year old bedside telephones, the list is endless. My taxi driver said that this was one of the oldest hotels in Nairobi, and, boy, did it look like it ! I won't be hurrying back until I know MAJOR works have been completed. An unhappy Hilton customer, indeed. :0(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We also thank you and appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ hospitality and food quality. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful; and although we did not meet your expectation, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!