Built in the 70’s, this is now a very old hotel. The main problem with so many of these establishments, especially in places like ‘darkest Africa’ is that minimal maintenance is done in the intervening period. This Hilton is a good example and fittings and features throughout the hotel are starting to look more than a little tired. Carpets & curtains have become a little faded. Lots of small things don’t work...like elevator buttons not operating, hot water coming out of the cold tap, electronic door keys unreliable...all trivia but annoying.
You feel that you are in a bit of a war zone when arriving at the front entrance as there are a number of chain barriers; this is all the result of the major bombing of the US Embassy only several hundred yards away some twenty years ago. Security is very tight at all times.
The staff are pleasant and friendly although not always terribly effective. (Check-out took three times as long as it should due to the card readers not working properly.)
Breakfast is excellent with a good range of foods available.
The room itself is an odd shape resulting from the conical construction of the hotel. (It must have been a nightmare to construct with all those odd angles!) Otherwise it is quite well appointed and overall no complaints generally. The TV, while it does just work, is the conventional type and well past its ‘sell by’ date. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom quite adequate and well supplied.
I am told that our group rate is $US190 per night which is reasonable I suppose. It’s just disappointing to see a nice hotel so much in need of a makeover.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the city's heart, the Hilton Nairobi hotel is next to the craft market and 25 minutes' drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Enjoy global dishes at the Traveller's Restaurant, try fine Italian cuisine at Sale E Pepe Restaurant or have a pint at the Hilton Nairobi hotel's Jockey Pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hilton Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Hilton International Nairobi
- Nairobi Hilton International