“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #34 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

It is a safe hotel in the center of everything. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable. I think breakfast was poor for a hilton but its ok.
I didnt try the clubs because there is a very funny life outside in nairobi

• Stayed November 2012
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards to the quality of our breakfast, this comes as a bit of a surprise as usually we do receive good comments about our food as we can see from the so called SALT questionnaires we receive daily from other hotel guests, but I have discussed with our executive chef and food and beverage manager to review. However, we appreciate your honest feedback for this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We also appreciate and thank you for the fine compliment you make about our team members hospitality, safety within the property, cleanliness and comfort in our room. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Nuneaton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As a Silver Elite Hilton loyalty card holder, I booked this property for the most obvious reason. Like many of the TripAdvisor reviews, it was clearly a big mistake. The staff were excellent and very freindly and welcoming and the food wasn't bad but this did not make up, in anyway, for what I can only think was zero guestroom investment for the last 20-30 years - indeed, back to the '70's - and fpr what was paid for each nigh, EXCLUDING breakfast and any kind of meal, it was a great disappointment and very expensive. In the light of new hotels either in place (Eka, Ole Serena etc.) and others to come, (Radisson BLU), I can only think that the hotel had better close for a total refurbishment and quick ! In a very competitive market, this property is way, way behind and having stayed at the new Hilton at Heathrow T5 on the Sunday before flying, the two hotels are world's apart. The General Managers News letter in the room promised of new flat panel TV's for the rooms but this will, by no means, address the fundamental issues of decor that have been so sorely overlooked/bypassed over many years. Plumbing incredibly noisy, lift noise constant until late at night, no sound proofing from other guest rooms, furniture falling apart or absent (no drawer unit), curtains that barely closed, horrible yellowed hairdryer units, noisy mini-bar fan, slow internet speeds (which were also charged!), CRT TV's (portable size - which weren't even tuned properly), 12-15 year old bedside telephones, the list is endless. My taxi driver said that this was one of the oldest hotels in Nairobi, and, boy, did it look like it ! I won't be hurrying back until I know MAJOR works have been completed. An unhappy Hilton customer, indeed. :0(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of our property. I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. However, we highly appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We also thank you and appreciate your positive comments about our team members’ hospitality and food quality. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful; and although we did not meet your expectation, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

With kind regards

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've lived across East Africa for a few years, so when work moved me to Kenya I decided to treat my girlfriend and I by staying in the Hilton while we get set up....what a mistake!

It certainly hasn't changed since the 70's (similar to Addis Ababa Hilton) at over $270 our room was pretty basic. Noisy traffic outside, and smelled of ash.

Restaurant - trying to be classic safari, looks more like Disney Safari! Food terrible, over priced and over cooked. Service took forever

Stay elsewhere

• Stayed November 2012
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 9, 2012

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in the comment; my sincerest apologies for this. However, regarding the physical status of our facility compared to the price, I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city. I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

As of the ash smell, it would be great to know the room number you stayed in. As Tripadvisor is anonymous, all I can do is guess that the room had not been aired properly or you were allocated a smoking room. Please accept our apologies for this, and I have discussed this with the Executive Housekeeper to address with her team.

With regards of our food quality and services, this comes as a bit of a surprise as usually we do receive good comments about this as we can see on the so called SALT questionnaires we receive daily. Likewise about the feel of the restaurant, although this of course is a personal matter. I have however discussed the raised issues with our executive chef and food and beverage manager to review, and we appreciate your honest feedback; this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Tolyatti, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

this is really an old hilton hotel, quite similar to hilton addis. much needed for a facelift to maintain the reputation for hilton international chain branding. rooms are really old hence not a comfortable feeling. internet is chargable hence a negative point for a business traveller. not much plus points hence would recommend better hotels especially located at the westlakes.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our property status, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

With regards of free internet, I would like to advise that, apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, it is with pleasure that I introduce to you our Hilton HHonors Loyalty program. It is complimentary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn HHonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complimentary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

However, we appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is not the quality what you might expect of a Hilton elswhere in the world and it was reasonable expensive for the state the rooms are in. It is time the Hilton coorperation starts investing in an upgrade for this hotel. The staff is most kind and do their best to make it work. The rooms are outdated and need a sever upgrade. The Hotel restaurant was nice and the food was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards of the physical status of our rooms compare to the price, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city. However, I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

We appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members, good quality of food and restaurant, which I have gladly shared with my team. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With kind regards

Accra, Ghana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

There are many more modern places to stay in Nairobi, but the Hilton still has the claim to be closest to the heartbeat of Nairobi city center. Accessible to all the facets of city light within a copule of blocks, and still has enough comfort and convenience behind its doors.

The rooms are a bit cramped but generally clean. The age of the building shows in some of the fittings, and some floors are better than others. Staff are friendly and helpful. The Jockey bar has a few good shows, but is not the place to spend a fun night.

For the business traveler there is decent but pricey internet access. Fortunately, you can get a USB modem and airtime on the street for much less than it would cost you at the hotel. It is a good location for city meetings.

Stay here and look for fun around town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We appreciate your nice compliments about our hotel’s cleanliness and location although dated, however, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We also thank you for the nice comment about the hospitality of our team members and the Jockey Pub , for which I have already shared with my team. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

As of the internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel was very nice and the service was good. The only issue was the standard rooms were a bit noisy. However, they gave us a new room when we complained. The buffet breakfast was a bit expensive but looked amazing. They allowed me to order a smaller breakfast for a discount price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have noted that your room was noisy, I am indeed very sorry for this but I am happy to note that you were given another room which you were most satisfied. We are also grateful to note that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast, although a little expensive, our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

HILTON NAIROBI

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!