“Terrible value for money” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
London
“Terrible value for money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've lived across East Africa for a few years, so when work moved me to Kenya I decided to treat my girlfriend and I by staying in the Hilton while we get set up....what a mistake!

It certainly hasn't changed since the 70's (similar to Addis Ababa Hilton) at over $270 our room was pretty basic. Noisy traffic outside, and smelled of ash.

Restaurant - trying to be classic safari, looks more like Disney Safari! Food terrible, over priced and over cooked. Service took forever

Stay elsewhere

• Stayed November 2012
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in the comment; my sincerest apologies for this. However, regarding the physical status of our facility compared to the price, I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city. I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

As of the ash smell, it would be great to know the room number you stayed in. As Tripadvisor is anonymous, all I can do is guess that the room had not been aired properly or you were allocated a smoking room. Please accept our apologies for this, and I have discussed this with the Executive Housekeeper to address with her team.

With regards of our food quality and services, this comes as a bit of a surprise as usually we do receive good comments about this as we can see on the so called SALT questionnaires we receive daily. Likewise about the feel of the restaurant, although this of course is a personal matter. I have however discussed the raised issues with our executive chef and food and beverage manager to review, and we appreciate your honest feedback; this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Tolyatti, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

this is really an old hilton hotel, quite similar to hilton addis. much needed for a facelift to maintain the reputation for hilton international chain branding. rooms are really old hence not a comfortable feeling. internet is chargable hence a negative point for a business traveller. not much plus points hence would recommend better hotels especially located at the westlakes.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests’ and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests’ expectations.

We have noted your comment with regards of our property status, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

With regards of free internet, I would like to advise that, apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, it is with pleasure that I introduce to you our Hilton HHonors Loyalty program. It is complimentary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn HHonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complimentary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

However, we appreciate your honest and constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is not the quality what you might expect of a Hilton elswhere in the world and it was reasonable expensive for the state the rooms are in. It is time the Hilton coorperation starts investing in an upgrade for this hotel. The staff is most kind and do their best to make it work. The rooms are outdated and need a sever upgrade. The Hotel restaurant was nice and the food was good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We have noted your comment with regards of the physical status of our rooms compare to the price, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I wish to explain that our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city. However, I am also pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions have been ordered and are to be installed towards the end of 2012.

We appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about the hospitality of our team members, good quality of food and restaurant, which I have gladly shared with my team. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With kind regards

Accra, Ghana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

There are many more modern places to stay in Nairobi, but the Hilton still has the claim to be closest to the heartbeat of Nairobi city center. Accessible to all the facets of city light within a copule of blocks, and still has enough comfort and convenience behind its doors.

The rooms are a bit cramped but generally clean. The age of the building shows in some of the fittings, and some floors are better than others. Staff are friendly and helpful. The Jockey bar has a few good shows, but is not the place to spend a fun night.

For the business traveler there is decent but pricey internet access. Fortunately, you can get a USB modem and airtime on the street for much less than it would cost you at the hotel. It is a good location for city meetings.

Stay here and look for fun around town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We appreciate your nice compliments about our hotel’s cleanliness and location although dated, however, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We also thank you for the nice comment about the hospitality of our team members and the Jockey Pub , for which I have already shared with my team. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

As of the internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel was very nice and the service was good. The only issue was the standard rooms were a bit noisy. However, they gave us a new room when we complained. The buffet breakfast was a bit expensive but looked amazing. They allowed me to order a smaller breakfast for a discount price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have noted that your room was noisy, I am indeed very sorry for this but I am happy to note that you were given another room which you were most satisfied. We are also grateful to note that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast, although a little expensive, our prices are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel. However, we appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had read the reviews before I booked at the Nairobi Hilton. I was advised not to expect "true Hilton" ... eg not as posh as some might be. Fair enough, it is in an area which struggles economically so that seems appropriate. And, there are parts of the hotel and rooms that do seem "tired" but they were clean and I felt safe and those are always the most important factors to me.

While I was there I became ill. The staff called in a doctor for me and provided all kinds of care and assistance. I was blown away. I was alone in a foreign country in a neighborhood I was not familiar with or comfortable in and they made sure I was safe and comfortable and well taken care of. Truly, an amazing experience. Kudos to Ann (manager) and other staff who she engaged to make what could have been a horrible stay for me, rather pleasant (which given my illness was a huge feat!). Good job Nairobi Hilton! I hope to return to your fine establishment!

Room Tip: I really liked looking out over the archives building .. great people watching ... there are lots of...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comment with regards of our facility status, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012. Nevertheless, we appreciate your comment that our rooms are clean and secure.

I am indeed saddened to hear that you got ill while staying with us and I do hope you have now fully recovered. I am personally grateful to note that our team members came in handy to ensure your comfort and safety which gave you a feeling of ‘home away from home’ during this time. I have already shared your very nice compliments with our Journey Ambassador Ms. Ann Kanja and the entire Hilton Nairobi team.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is wonderful comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked a room and was persuaded to upgrade to the executive suites at the reception. It would be a good deal if you snack/drink/entertain a lot at the executive lounge (which has food, alcohol, newspapers, books and board games.)
Pros:
- Friendly staff (except for 1 incident at the business centre re wifi connection)
- High security (all visitors had to go through security screening)
- Very good service at executive lounge (from Irene and other staff)
Cons:
- It took about 5 minutes for me to be able to connect to another appliance on wifi after I have disconnected on the first one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. It is indeed a great pleasure to serving you and we appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We thank you and appreciate the fine compliments you make about the outstanding hospitality of our team members, service especially at the executive lounge and security within the property. I am glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Regarding the slow internet wifi connectivity, I am indeed very sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. I have checked our records and have not seen any such issues raised during this period at our Business Centre despite a high number of hotel guests. However, this could happen if the first session was not promptly stopped hence took time to expire the current session and loading to the new session. Also from time to time we experience some down time / slowness from our service provider which we have no direct control of.

HILTON NAIROBI

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!