“Hilton Nairobi” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Hilton Nairobi”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed at this hotel my first night in Nairobi. I have been to loads of hiltons in other countries, and this one is the worst of them all. The staff were great and very helpful. But the hotel itself in my own opinion is in need of some renovation. The bathroom was falling apart. For the price I paid and cheaper, I would have stayed in actual and newer 5 star hotels in same location and enjoyed it. The location is very ideal, bang on in the city centre. The food was poor but well presented. Insects kept hovering over my breakfast at the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards of the status of the facility, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

As for our breakfast prices, although they may be high, these are at par with all other five star hotels within the city, only at independent, small local restaurants are the prices indeed a lot less, but at comparable, safe international restaurants one pays a similar amount as you were charged at our hotel.

With regards of insects hovering around your food, I sincerely owe you an apology if this was the case. However, we have checked our records and despite having a record of guests visiting our outlets, we have not found / had a similar comment or complaint of this kind. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and Executive Housekeeper to investigate thoroughly and take necessary measures to avert this from happening again in future. Please note that we have rigorous cleaning schedules in place to avoid this from happening.

Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you liked the location and our food presentation although quality was not to your liking. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.
We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

HILTON NAIROBI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
Del Mar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We spent 2 nights and one day here before setting out on our Safari
trip. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly. Our room was very
nice. My husband is a Hilton diamond member so we had access to the
executive lounge. During the day we went to the Giraffe Center,
Elephant Orphanage and Karen Blixon Museum.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about our team members hospitality and facility. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Guildford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm currently staying in the Hilton Hotel in Nairobi and have had my room robbed by a member of house-keeping and a blackberry mobile-phone stolen. I would hope this is an isolated incident but wanted to make sure that potential guests are made aware of the risk at this hotel.

So, I've been checked into the hotel all week, made an overnight trip to another city in Nairobi and came back to find that my spare blackberry which was buried in my suitcase had been stolen. Went to the front desk and had a 40 minute interview with security (including stupid questions like "why did they not steal your camera and why didn't you want to take it on your trip to take photos?"), he promised to investigate it today. He called me up to say he had made no progress as the staff weren't in and wouldn't speak to them until they returned to work. Called Hilton in the US who said all they would do is log a report, they said under no circumstances would they compensate me and it really had nothing to do with them and that I should speak to the police station. The Duty Manager at the Hilton is currently too busy to speak to me and says they're doing everything possible apparently!

I really hope that I can get this resolved before I leave tomorrow night but don't have any faith in the staff to do anything. They really don't seem to want to move things forward apart from constantly interviewing me - I feel like I am the criminal here in Kenya.

Room Tip: I'm sure it goes without saying to use the safe and I would recommend anything else valuable tha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your time this afternoon, morning your time, and I do appreciate the cordial telephone conversation we had.

As stated per my mail shortly after the incident, I was indeed sorry to hear that, unfortunately your Blackberry has gone missing, allegedly at the Hilton Nairobi. Your room has been thoroughly checked but we failed to locate the phone. Although we regret the fact that your Blackberry is missing, I am afraid to advise you that the hotel cannot accept liability in this case.

All guest rooms are equipped with private, electronic safes for valuables to be kept in. If the device had been placed in the safe, and the safe had been tampered with in any way, we would have involved the police and start a full investigation. The device we understand had not been put in the safe, neither were your expensive headphones and camera. The latter two though were left untouched.

From my understanding during the call today, the biggest issue has not been so much the fact that your Blackberry went missing, although regretful indeed, but the way it was handled by the hotel team. Instead of being straightforward in explaining the liability and what could (not) be done insurance wise, the team tried to both appease you by being non committal towards you, and wishing to “protect” the hotel and the policies we have in place. As discussed, please do not interpret this as dishonesty, as this was most certainly not the intend.

I am happy to hear that we both agreed that liability policies that are in place must be adhered to, like in many other hotels and organizations, and for me, I will have to do a full training exercise with my team of duty managers on how to better handle this in future.

Mr. Bartlett, again, my apologies and my thanks.

Kind regards,

Martin Voskamp
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Located at the center of Nairobi town, this Hotel stands out from afar. It's beautiful, both inside and outside, the food is amaaazing, very friendly and organized staff, and they play some relaxing soothing music, while you sip your drink away. I love Hilton

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience; I sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our food and as well liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is a very luxurious 5 star just 25 minutes away from the Nairobi airport.
It has a good and free parking facility generally which is difficult to get in other hotels
The rooms are very airy, spacious, well lit, well ventilated.
They feature cable TV, a seating area with armchairs and a bathroom with luxury toiletries
There is also a modern gym featuring state-of-the-art cardiovascular equipment and free weights.
5 dining outlets and an outdoor swimming pool surrounded by sun loungers.
It has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, secretarial services, and audio visual equipment. Wireless Internet access (surcharge) is available in public areas. This Nairobi property has event space consisting of banquet facilities, conference/meeting rooms, a ballroom, and exhibit space. The property offers a roundtrip airport shuttle (surcharge).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about all our facilities. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Martin Voskamp
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel, although a little expensive it was just what we needed before heading out on safari. The only thing that I found frustrating was the " executive lounge". We paid to use it but couldn't find it, when we did locate it, our key wouldn't work! It was more a hassle and not worth the money.
The service otherwise was great. I gave it 5 stars on service because u left my pillow in the room after we checked out to move to another hotel and when I contacted them about finding it, the put it in a taxi and drove it to my next hotel!

• Stayed July 2012
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

I regret to note that you couldn’t find the location of our Executive Lounge and that your key wouldn’t work. You have my sincere apologies for the inconveniences this caused you. Be assured that I have shared this message with our Front Office Manager to ensure that our front desk team gives clear information and ensure that all keys issued are working. We have also noted your comment regarding our prices. I would wish to explain that our prices are at par with other five star hotels within the city; we do however appreciate your critical but constructive feedback

I am personally glad to note that the personal pillow that you had left in the room upon check out, was safely delivered to you in your other hotel. We thank you for your fine compliments about great service and the cleanliness of the hotel. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely
Surabaya, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

In Nairobi, you should lower your expectation on 5 stars.
Beside that, you should be ok.
The hotel itself, is nicely located, quite safe, and within walking distance to local food.
Not much to comment or complaint since its Africa.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We appreciate your nice compliments about the safety and location of our hotel and your fine feedback has been shared will all concerned; I am happy you did feel safe and at home with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!