“An overpriced opportunity to receive friendly service.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From $123
Ranked #40 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Entebbe, Uganda
“An overpriced opportunity to receive friendly service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I'm not sure why I stopped staying at the Intercontinental and started staying at the Hilton. Probably the decision was made by someone else, although my recollections of receiving a "gift" from the storks that roost in the big tree just outside the Intercon reception might have had something to do with it. If you're one of the few people interested in what Storks consume during an average day, that's a great place to find out from early evening onwards.

I find the service levels at this Hilton to be consistently high and the staff always courteous and friendly, especially the Concierge who remembers me every time and welcomes me as "Mr George". It's happened so many times now that I havent got the heart to tell him that's not my name.

Yes, it's an over-priced hotel, but very well-placed in the centre of Nairobi and very convenient to wander around during the day time. As to the evenings and beyond, I'd say not such a good idea to go anywhere other than by taxi.

The rooms I've had are always well-equipped but sometimes a bit "tired", the restaurant is more than adequate and generally you get the feeling the staff enjoy providing service rather than simply having been trained to do so. The major gripe I've got is with being ripped-off for internet access, but then who do you complain to? Perhaps if I got my act together and signed-up for Hilton Honours there'd be a difference or cheaper rate, but somehow I doubt it.

Of course the location can be troublesome depending on what time of day or night you're planning to arrive and depart, since Nairobi is famous for it's peak-hour congestion. Airport pick-up won't be your problem, of course, but be sure to enquire early at reception about your departure plans so they can book you onto the appropriately timed shuttle-bus.

I always leave this Hotel feeling like I met some old friends but paid through the nose in doing so.

Room Tip: The higher floors are obviously less prone to the constant traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. It is indeed a great preasure to serving you and we appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We thank you for the fine compliments you make about our service standards and the hospitality of our team members. Especially your comment about the outstanding concierge team member who remembers and welcomes you back everytime you are visiting our property. Although he misses out on your name, which I apologize for, but please next time do provide us with your real name so we ca address you properly. Alternatively you can highlight the same to the manager on duty once you are in the hotel so as to correct the team member accordingly. Meanwhile I have shared the information with our front office manager and concierge team members to ensure they get guest names right.

With regards of the condition of our rooms, I am sincerely sorry for we have not been able to met your expectation, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the hotel in time to come. Flat screen televisions will however be installed before the end of 2012.

As for your comment with about internet charges, I would like to advise that, apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. However, to our esteemed Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, it is with pleasure that I introduce to you our Hilton Hhonors Loyalty program. It is complimentary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn Hhonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complimentary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience, and do appreciate both the constructive and critical feedback. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Martin Voskamp

580 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

These are Hilton prices, but they are not Hilton standards. The room was average (small and in need of renovation) and certainly less luxurious than I was expecting for the price. I felt like I was in a hostel. The TV was fuzzy, the remote didn't work...the room looked tired.

Wireless internet is a separate charge and really should be included in the room considering the situation. The hotel feels disconnected with the Pool, Gym, and Business center feeling removed from the rest of the hotel.

It is a bit dark, but the glamour of the lobby does have an interesting colonial feel. The rooms felt like they were modern in the 80s, but now are old. I cut my stay short (only stayed 2 nights and had to leave). I am extremely happy in another hotel that is a million times lovelier. Now I am comfortable.

I will say that the staff at the Hilton were all absolutely lovely. The food was good as well. I hope they renovate soon because it is currently a subpar accommodation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and have always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

Unfortunately, we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay with us; my sincerest apologies for this. However, with regards to the standard of our rooms and the TV which was fuzzy, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see all TVs changed over to flat screen this year, and a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

With regards to internet charges, I would like to advise that, apart from internet not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Hhonors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, it is with pleasure that I introduce to you our Hilton Honors Loyalty program. It is complimentary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn Hhonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complementary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

Thank you very much for your nice compliments about the glamour of the lobby, lovely staff as well as the good food. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With kind regards.

Martin Voskamp
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed there just for the day (arrived from airport, freshened up, had breakfast, and left for meetings all day) and the room in which we stayed was absolutely horrible: a little dirty, paint coming off the wall edges, the beds were very crappy so my hopes of a quick nap went unfulfilled. The internet was only via plugging in, and the common areas of the floors in which I stayed was dismal.

The breakfast area (next to the lobby) is absolutely lovely, but that's just 15 minutes of the time you spend there. I hear that some of the floors are very nice, but for some reason, even though we weren't paying cheap, we had a very crap floor. My accompanying party was not impressed either!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a newly redecorated room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.
Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay with us; my sincerest apologies for this. However, with regards to physical status of our property, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. As a goodwill gesture, we would like to offer you a free upgrade to a Deluxe room located on the higher floors during your next stay with us.
We have also noted your comment that our internet is only via plug in, and wish to clarify that we have wireless internet throughout the hotel although chargeable. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused as this was not explained to you upon arrival.

Nevertheless, we appreciate the fine compliments you have made about our Travellers Restaurant at the lobby level, which is my upmost pleasure to share with the hotel team.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely

HILTON NAIROBI

________________________________________
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed for one night end of April 2012. Rooms dated and small. Biggest problem was providing required bank card details as when checked my account, they had charged me twice including over a £100 for 10 minute Internet usage. Still unable to get money back! Don't go there!

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in your comment; my sincerest apologies for this, but I do appreciate your feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests. We have noted your comment in regards to a billing problem you experienced and an overcharge on internet usage, kindly furnish us with more details to enable us investigate and revert back to you with the correct information.

Although we have not been able to meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

HILTON NAIROBI
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed twice over a months period here. Consistent and attentive service. Central location. Again as before, the place is a little 'dated' with regards to room equipment however, delivers good service. the staff (as in many tourist hotels in Kenya) is simply exemplary. The security guards, the house staff, desk staff etc...all mirror the Hilton Theme..high service standards...in many cases much better than in some of the Hilton USA properties I have stayed in. However at Kshs 800 for an hour of internet, this is a concern.
The beds are a little hard to sleep on, but is normal in Kenya it seems

Room Tip: Use expedia or hotels.com to get a better rate.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and appreciate the fine compliments you made about our consistency in our service delivery and hospitality of our team members, which I have gladly shared with the team and management. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

However, with regards to the physical status of our rooms and a hard bed. I am sincerely sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, but I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Regarding internet charges, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free; However, to our esteemed Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

If you are a frequent traveller, may I take the opportunity to introduce you to Hilton Honors Loyalty program. It is complementary and as the only hotel loyalty program worldwide, you can enjoy our so called “double dipping” benefit, whereby you can earn Hhonors points and miles for every stay/dollar spent at the same time. Upon enrolment you have instant benefit of having your spouse staying for free with you and a complementary local newspaper. You will only need to achieve 16 stays or 36 nights upon staying in any of our Hilton properties worldwide within a calendar year to get to a Gold tier and enjoy free internet and lots of more benefits.

Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Service, food and ambiance is up to Hilton par. However, the manager/franchise owner of this hotel, once wilderbeast migration tourist season passes, needs to gut the rooms floor by floor and engage in a much needed renovation. Bathrooms have to go. They were very nice though . . . .in 1980. Also, no Hilton bedroom should have a TV screen that is not flat. Everyone else in the reviews pretty much echo this grievance. The windows also need a wash.

One thing to NOT wash there, is your laundry. I know hotel laundry is expensive, but the prices here are beyond ridiculous. I could have gone out and bought new clothes for a price cheaper than it took to have them washed.

Unlike many other hotels in Nairobi, Hilton will arrange to pick you up from the airport if you call ahead. SOOOO convenient.

Overall, good job guys. Despite the fact that your rooms have rapidly aging creature comforts, I might consider staying here again before going over to Serena.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments about our food quality, service, as well as the ambience. We are also grateful that you were impressed by our airport shuttle bus service. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of the physical status of our rooms, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Likewise, we have noted your comment with regards to our laundry prices, I would wish to explain that our prices are at par with other hotels within the city I am sincerely sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

With kind regards.

For MARTIN VOSKAMP
UAE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed as a family of 5 with 1 double room and 1 triple room. The extra bed for the triple room was a pull out from the sofa hence very uncomfortable and sagging. We were on the 12th floor and had a pretty good view of the city and the crowd below.
Breakfast was wonderful with a great spread and a beautiful location at "Travellers", especially the Egg station with superb fluffy omelettes. Very friendly and helpful staff.
Negative points: 1. Room lacks enough spare plug points for personal electronic items. 2. Bathroom (both rooms) had an unpleasant smell!. 3. Wi FI to be provided free. 4. Unfortunately had a bad experience at the entrance with my daughter on entering the premises (This was not at time of check in). On entering the lobby I took a picture of the lobby with my daughter in the pic and the security checked me in an unfriendly manner if I am a guest and asked for my room number. My daughter was genuinely upset and scared as if we did a criminal act!!! With that experience I decided NOT to take any pics of the lobby.( I wanted to post the lobby pics on TripAdvisor)

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment that the extra bed in one of the rooms which was a sofa pullout was uncomfortable and sagging; I am indeed very sorry for the discomfort. Although this does not help you for your past visit, for any future visits, please do ask our housekeeping department for a rollaway bed to be brought up, as these are more comfortable indeed.

With regards to free internet, I would like to advise, that apart from it not being a free service as a Hilton Worldwide policy, our internet service is provided by Docomo, a 3rd party internet service provider, making it rather difficult for us to lower it or even provide it for free. However, to our esteemed Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members, internet is fully complimentary.

We have also noted that you had a bad experience together with your daughter when you took a picture at the lobby. I would wish to explain that due to security reasons, taking photographs in and around the hotel is prohibited. Therefore our security personnel must verify that whoever is taking pictures in the hotel is a resident guest. This needs to be done in a polite manner, without the guest feeling being harassed, as I understand was the case with you and your daughter. In particular to her, my sincerest apologies as in this case you had all the rights to take a momento of your stay. I have shared the information with our security officer to put corrective measures in place and ensure this does not happen again in future.

Nevertheless, we appreciate the fine compliment you make about our team members hospitality and wonderful breakfast in a beautiful location ‘Travellers Restaurant’ . Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile. As well we appreciate your feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests

Although we have not been able to fully meet your expectation, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!