I'm not sure why I stopped staying at the Intercontinental and started staying at the Hilton. Probably the decision was made by someone else, although my recollections of receiving a "gift" from the storks that roost in the big tree just outside the Intercon reception might have had something to do with it. If you're one of the few people interested in what Storks consume during an average day, that's a great place to find out from early evening onwards.
I find the service levels at this Hilton to be consistently high and the staff always courteous and friendly, especially the Concierge who remembers me every time and welcomes me as "Mr George". It's happened so many times now that I havent got the heart to tell him that's not my name.
Yes, it's an over-priced hotel, but very well-placed in the centre of Nairobi and very convenient to wander around during the day time. As to the evenings and beyond, I'd say not such a good idea to go anywhere other than by taxi.
The rooms I've had are always well-equipped but sometimes a bit "tired", the restaurant is more than adequate and generally you get the feeling the staff enjoy providing service rather than simply having been trained to do so. The major gripe I've got is with being ripped-off for internet access, but then who do you complain to? Perhaps if I got my act together and signed-up for Hilton Honours there'd be a difference or cheaper rate, but somehow I doubt it.
Of course the location can be troublesome depending on what time of day or night you're planning to arrive and depart, since Nairobi is famous for it's peak-hour congestion. Airport pick-up won't be your problem, of course, but be sure to enquire early at reception about your departure plans so they can book you onto the appropriately timed shuttle-bus.
I always leave this Hotel feeling like I met some old friends but paid through the nose in doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the city's heart, the Hilton Nairobi hotel is next to the craft market and 25 minutes' drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Enjoy global dishes at the Traveller's Restaurant, try fine Italian cuisine at Sale E Pepe Restaurant or have a pint at the Hilton Nairobi hotel's Jockey Pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Hilton Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Hilton International Nairobi
- Nairobi Hilton International