I arrived on the 19th June and was interested to experience this well reknowned brand hotel chain. Alas! Whilts the ambience is great and the reception impeccably friendly, one does get the feeling of a long gone era. Oh no it is not actually a museum but a functional hotel!
My disappointment started when I got to room 311. There is a noticeable poorly cleaned carpet smell and the A/C though on warm was spewing a cool breeze. In the era of LCD or LED TVs, it was interesting to find a Nokia TV with a digital clock! A time machine moment right there. But pleasently I saw England snatch a win off Ukraine, so no problem there. There are thoughtful tea/coffee making facilities complete with thoughtful biscuits. The location is also ancient (in the closet actually). Below there is an old but robust looking safe. The closet is well set with an iron and board (which failed to stand on its own and I had to use my feet to hold it).
The bed was not great but alright. I tended to feel the many pleasent sleep that it has provided over the years. The bathroom was another time machine moment as the stone top is seemingly stained. The actual bath tub was not inviting at all as the shower curtain was stained and a museum-like artifact. The tub wall had rusty streaks - further signs of age. Otherwise everything else worked.
The Jockey Pub though pricey was nice to chat in and I had chicken wing drum sticks and drinks with friends. The top prize though was the Travellers Restaurant. The interesting theme in this place is great. The food is even better. The ladies manning the door and waiting after guests were fantastic. The breakfast itself was great only second to the breakfast I have had at the Zambezi Sun and Royal Livingstone in Livingstone - Zambia. I have seen some comments from the General Manager that there is a plan for a facelift. The property itself has some history and it would be interesting to see how the facelift works with this around the contemporary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the city's heart, the Hilton Nairobi hotel is next to the craft market and 25 minutes' drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Enjoy global dishes at the Traveller's Restaurant, try fine Italian cuisine at Sale E Pepe Restaurant or have a pint at the Hilton Nairobi hotel's Jockey Pub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Hilton Nairobi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Nairobi Hotel Nairobi
- Hilton International Nairobi
- Nairobi Hilton International