“Museum-like but with heavenly breakfast and warm smiles!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #38 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Lusaka
“Museum-like but with heavenly breakfast and warm smiles!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

I arrived on the 19th June and was interested to experience this well reknowned brand hotel chain. Alas! Whilts the ambience is great and the reception impeccably friendly, one does get the feeling of a long gone era. Oh no it is not actually a museum but a functional hotel!

My disappointment started when I got to room 311. There is a noticeable poorly cleaned carpet smell and the A/C though on warm was spewing a cool breeze. In the era of LCD or LED TVs, it was interesting to find a Nokia TV with a digital clock! A time machine moment right there. But pleasently I saw England snatch a win off Ukraine, so no problem there. There are thoughtful tea/coffee making facilities complete with thoughtful biscuits. The location is also ancient (in the closet actually). Below there is an old but robust looking safe. The closet is well set with an iron and board (which failed to stand on its own and I had to use my feet to hold it).

The bed was not great but alright. I tended to feel the many pleasent sleep that it has provided over the years. The bathroom was another time machine moment as the stone top is seemingly stained. The actual bath tub was not inviting at all as the shower curtain was stained and a museum-like artifact. The tub wall had rusty streaks - further signs of age. Otherwise everything else worked.

The Jockey Pub though pricey was nice to chat in and I had chicken wing drum sticks and drinks with friends. The top prize though was the Travellers Restaurant. The interesting theme in this place is great. The food is even better. The ladies manning the door and waiting after guests were fantastic. The breakfast itself was great only second to the breakfast I have had at the Zambezi Sun and Royal Livingstone in Livingstone - Zambia. I have seen some comments from the General Manager that there is a plan for a facelift. The property itself has some history and it would be interesting to see how the facelift works with this around the contemporary.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We have noted your comment with regards of our facilities physical status, and I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. As you kindly noted that you had already seen this in earlier responses, we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this. We do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Nevertheless, we do appreciate the good compliments you make about our hostesses at the restaurant door and also thank you for your positive comments about our food quality and the interesting theme in place. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Checked into the Hilton last night for a 4 night stay. Its got a grand foyer and the pool is great and the gym too. However the rest of the stuff in the hotel are REALLY OLD and tired. Carpets are old, TV is old (Its is actually a Nokia TV with a clock at the bottom - where have you ever heard of Nokia TV???? ) and after a few minutes of watching it an unending beep starts that only stops when you switch it off.
However the Bed in the room is great, and breakfast was really really good..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your value feedback with us; It was truly a pleasure to serve you. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Thank you for the positive comment about our hotel foyer, Pool and gym, we are also glad to note the fine compliments you make about our breakfast quality and a great mattress that was in your room. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of physical appearance of our property and TVs’, I am pleased to advise that we are in the process of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come. Meanwhile, our executive housekeeper and chief engineer have embarked on room to room routine TV inspection to undertake immediate maintenance and repairs accordingly. We do appreciate your honest feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I knew this place had bad reviews and had no intention of staying there, but chaos at the airport (12 hour closure) changed plans. We needed a hotel that was available and close to the airport. Rooms are dumpy, very old and in need of a refresh. The TV is very small, an old tube and the color was completely gone - was watching golf with purple greens! I had to be back at the airport for 0530, and nearly missed my flight because I did not get a wake up call. That is not acceptable for any hotel, let alone one of the biggest international chains. I will not be back.

• Stayed June 2012
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.
We have noted your comment with regards of our hotel status and Televisions, I am indeed very sorry for we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, I have the pleasure to advise that we are indeed in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come including change of Televisions.

We have also noted your comment that you nearly missed your flight as a result of a missed wakeup call. You have my profound apologies for this should not have been the case. I have checked our electronic records and can indeed confirm that within the dates you stayed with us occasioned by the major delay, all the wake up calls booked were all honoured as requested by the various guests. However, to enable us investigate further and revert to you with proper feedback, kindly provide me with your full names and hotel stay details.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here for two separate nights in May 2012. Everything is as expected of a Hilton-branded hotel. Full services, 2 restaurants, no in-room movies. Room service quality and presentation was good (Breakfasts and Dinners) and delivered in the time promised w/ clean utensils, cups, etc. Security seemed on par with most other tourist-centered venues.

The bell desk kept a suitcase of mine while I was traveling elsewhere in the country. Bag was unlocked, nothing stolen.

You're probably attracted to the Hilton name, but it's that warm and friendly Kenyan service that you'll stay here for rather than the facilities.

Room Tip: Rick's Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with views of Uhuru park.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate the fine compliments you make about our quality of service, food and the hospitality of our team members, which I have gladly shared with our management and teams.

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and personally delighted to note your close observation that our security is at par with most tourist venues. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was sad to arrive in my room and see the age and quality of the furnishings and bathroom. I'd rate it a normal 2 star room. The bed was comfortable and the food in the buffet was good enough...nothing to write home about.

The staff were friendly and helpful as you can expect. Security for the hotel was good.

Don't bother having the hotel pick you up at the airport. they just farm it out to someone who calls a buddy taxi driver and you ride in the same yellow cab as everyone else with no aircon....at twice the price. Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Stay higher than the 2nd floor as the disco is rocking at night and the noise migrates up the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We have noted your comments with regards of the status of our property and quality of furnishing, I am indeed very sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay with us; but I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We also do appreciate the nice compliments you make about our team members’ hospitality, security within the hotel, buffet food quality and as well that you enjoyed a comfortable bed. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

However, we highly appreciate your constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Martin Voskamp | General Manager
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Pity about the location over the last two or three decades downtown Nairobi is not considered safe, pleasing or merely Even happening as opposed to Westlands. Hilton should consider opening a second property in Karen or something. the property has been refurbished but still lacks the punch! Take note from the likes of Tribe and Sankara.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear guest, thank you for your critcial but constructive feedback following your recent stay with us. The re-location of the hotel is not something easy to address, but at the same time for some it is the perfect location, whereas for others it is not; no doubt this depends on where the business is conducted by the guest. As for the safety in the CBD, I have been advise that this in actual fact has improved over the years with a lot more systems and people in place, albeit not easily recognizable for obvious reasons. Adding a new Hilton property is something we have been looking at for a couple of years now, and if the right opportunity does come along, please rest assured we would be very pleased indeed to add a new hotel that belongs to the Hilton Worldwide Family. Kind regards, Martin Voskamp
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Enjoyed my stay at this hotel. location is great. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Restaurant was nice and food was very good, a little overpriced though. The room itself was just average at best. Seems a little overpriced simply based on the room. But I would return simply for the location and the staff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
martin v, General Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience; I sincerely appreciate your gratitude to our team members hospitality, which I have already shared with our management and teams. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our food and as well liked the location. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

MARTIN VOSKAMP I General Manager

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!