“Happy overall” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Staines, United Kingdom
“Happy overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

If you apply local standards you will soon see that the Hilton has some outstanding qualities. If you try to apply standards seen in other parts of the world you may be easily disappointed.

We made our decision based on its central location and the outstanding security measures. We also wanted to be able to get to Wilson airport easily for an early morning flight. It took us 15mins by taxi to Wilson early on a Sunday monring. If you do not want to go too far the coffee shop and restaurants are good options. The reception area is very welcoming. Quite an impressive pool bar menu.

The rooms clearly vary. We stayed before and after our Safari and the 2 rooms were very different. The first room had previously had someone smoking in it. The smell was noticeable and not pleasant. We booked a double room and were given a twin. We also needed an extra bed in the room and the sofa converted to a bed but it was extremely uncomfortable. We were only there for 2 nights and arrived late on the first night so put up with it. The second stay was by contrast extremely comfortable. We had a much bigger room the extra bed was much more comfortable and we were very happy.

There are a variety of restaurants and a supermarket all within easy walking distance. We travelled with hand luggage and wished we bought all our toiletries in Nairobi as much cheaper than duty free in Heathrow. Only thing that was hard to find at a reasonable price was high spf sunscreen. (Not relevant to the Hilton review, I know, but a useful tip).

If you are lucky with your room we think it is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We highly appreciate your honest comments as this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests. We always take pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are very glad to note that you were happy and satisfied with your overall experience during your recent visit to us. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

At the same time I am pleased to advice that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, in time to come, starting with a replacement of our elevators within this quarter of the year.

We place great value on your custom and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

605 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Turkish first
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

With the recent threats from terrorists in Nairobi, the hotel has impressive security measures and pretty fast too. The location is pretty good too as it is right in the middle of town and one can easily walk out at any time to get what they need without a hassle.

However, the carpets in the room look a bit old. They need a bit of face lift. But by and large, it is a great place. The lobby is great. Great food too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Guest

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guest's expectations.

We do appreciate the good compliments you have made about our security, lobby and good food. Although our facility looks a bit old, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

The hotel has an impressive lobby and equally impressive security measures before you actually get in.

We arrived in the middle of the night, but the check-in was quite fast and smooth. The hotel is in need of a bit of an overhaul.

The rooms, elevators and hallways look a bit tired and outdated. The breakfast buffet was of good quality and the setting of the buffet quite nice.

The gym was of a pretty good quality, with even a personal trainer on standby to help you out

Too bad though that everything in this hotel is so expensive, from drinks to wi-fi, it's all very overpriced.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We do appreciate the good compliments you make about our facility, security, efficient check in, food quality and as well the buffet set up. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

With regards of our facility status, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel, starting with our elevators next month.

About our prices, I am sorry we have not been able to meet your expectation, but I believe we are at par with other five star hotels within the city. However, we highly appreciate your fine comments as well as your constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Fort Smith, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel our first night in Nairobi. Changed to the Intercontinental the next day as we were very disappointed in the room, conditions of the hotel and service. The Intercontinental cost one half the price of this one. Unbelievable that the hotel charges the price they do for the lack of quality and service. I give it a two star only because our front desk experience was excellent and the bed was comfortable, or maybe we were just too exhausted from 18 hours of flying time to notice the difference.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay; my sincerest apologies for this, but I do appreciate your critical but constructive feedback and this will assist us in improving our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Although we were not able to meet your expectation during your recent stay, we appreciate the fine compliments you make about our front desk our team members, which I have personally shared with them and do I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Having read some of the rather critical comments, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff are efficient, without being unctious. They were helpful and friendly. The breakfast had good range.
The carpets have yielded some colour to the African sun, but there was certainly no hint of mustiness. Aircon good, and the decor redolent of the main staircase on the Titanic.
The bed was comfortable, and all bedding and towels were freshly laundered and crisp.
The only downside is that you are in the centre of town. The rooms were well insulated from the noise of the city, being double glazed.
The Hilton is great for business, and very accessible to the airport, but I like a bit more greenery.
Would I return? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes.

Room Tip: I was on the 11th Floor. Good view and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet the guests expectations.

We appreciate your good and honest feedback about our property basing on your experience compared to the comments on the website. We are glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience in all aspects as you have mentioned . Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

For the fading carpet, I am pleased to advise that we are about to continue our carpet replacement this year, and our master plan will hopefully kick of soon as well which will see a complete make-over of the Hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Though secure and the staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel is screaming for a refurbishment. Everything is old and just working and for the price you pay, you wonder where the money goes. The breakfast is just okay but again the African hospitality makes the stay more bearable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
hiltonnairobi, Director of Operation at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi once again and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We appreciate the fine compliments your have made about our team members and our service. However, we have noted your concerns regarding of our building condition and you have my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this might have caused you. I would like to to advise that we are indeed in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi again and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We booked this hotel for my sisters 30th Birthday in our in between days from our overland tour to hopefully get some nice luxury to review for the next leg and celebrate in style. I have never been so dissapointed in a supossed 5 star hotel in my life and Ive stayed in a lot. The rooms are tired the aircon barely worked One of the staff tried to get us to "donate" money to them to cover a debt- (Kept it in their bellhop hat when we got home from dinner), the hairdryer needed to be fixed- which concerned me a little to actually use it being such a dangerous device. The staff tried to over charge us for an extra night that we had already paid for and mini bar charges that we didnt even know were missing because they were never placed there by house keeping before we went into the room. The drinks in the bar are over the top- it may be a 5 star hotel but we were in Africa I shouldnt be paying what I would in a Hilton in Perth Australia in Nairobi in Africa. Our friends stayed at another 5 star hotel that included breakfast and was cheaper with the exact same facilities and had a lovely time. When I complained to the hotel and then central reservations about this they couldnt have cared less apart from the the staff asking for money from us- especially after the bad time we had I would have expected better. I have stayed at the Hilton in Perth and a few other locations and for my money I would stay in the holiday inn chain pay less or try for another 5 star hotel centrally. Over priced and badly needs a full renovation. Also in stinking hot weather we also had to put up with the power being out for 6 hrs when the aircon was already not working properly. Needs to improve in all areas. Can you give less than a 1 rating?????

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonnairobi, Dierector of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Unfortunately we have not been able to show this to you during your recent stay, as you indicated in your comment, and you have my sincerest apologies for this. With regards of minibar charges, hair drier not properly working and as well the conduct of our team member, it would be highly appreciated if you could contact us directly to furnish us with more details (e.g. the room you stayed in) to enable us to investigate further and revert to you with proper feedback.

We have also noted that you experienced a lot of discomfort due to power cut that lasted for about six hours, and I am indeed very sorry for any conveniences caused to you. However I would wish to explain that we get our power from a private company ‘Kenya Power and Lightening Company’ and therefore in the event of power failure we do not have a direct control over the power supply. In such scenarios we have to rely on our own generator which only provides critical areas with lighting.

With great concern I read about your experience with one of our team members asking you for a “donation”. Please rest assured that we have taken (all) your feedback very seriously and our Front Office Manager as well as our Chief Security Officer are currently still investigating the matter. Any further detail (e.g. a name, date or time of the day), could assist as and would be highly appreciated.

Please be assured, we truly value your honest but constructive feedback and it will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Therefore we all do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Nairobi or at any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide and re-establish your faith in our hotel.

In the meantime, I am looking forward hearing from you.If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Nairobi? Share your experiences!